Voting

$186000 for for a CEO of a moulty billion dollar company that's cheap most of they make millions a year. if the NDP is against that are they going to role back mrs james wage I don't think so. or how about getting some of the wages back down to reality like for ex sample bc ferries wages for galley or gift shop workers. then they could lower the fares to ride the stupid boat. it will be like the snow ball effect. the higher the minimum wage the higher the goods. even going to the gas station for a chocolate bar instead of a buck it will be 1.25 then the union people will ***** that hey can't survive then they get a raise then taxes go up then minimum wage goes up it's a viscous circle

I'm not an economist but BC has the second lowest min wage in the country - why is it so crazy to raise it?

I thought the NDP did try to help with the salmon fishery. When they were on their way out, Glen Clark had formed a Ministry of Fisheries in BC to try to take the power from the feds so they could regulate it properly and locally. I think that shows a good interest in our salmon. Campbell scrapped it when he got in. Ironically that worked out - I would shudder to see Campbell in charge of our salmon.

Clark was also in the process of suing alaska over their bycatch of our sockeye. This is an attempt to stop alaska from catching our fish - Again I think thats a good show of interest for our salmon. campbell dropped the suit.

On the other hand, the libs have only done things to harm our salmon - farms, small hydro. I can't say the NDP is perfect, far from it, but they've demonstrated a care for our fish which the libs have not.

Whats wrong with Green Party Serengeti? Given how unsustainable we are, it might not be a bad idea to have some environmental representation in our province.

So what people are trying to say is going from 2nd lowest to highest by a clear 2 DOLLARS will have on effect on the economy?? Come on.

Little hawk,

"there are more important things than economics"...not particularily. With a sour economy, means less tax dollars. Where would we get the money to fund these fisheries projects? Without a strong economy, there is no money to find these things that you speak of...the MAIN reason the NDP is such a joke...they promise all these things yet have no way to pay for them. It boggles my mind...yes, boggles...that some people think that raising the minimum wage is a good thing for our province. LC said it well, the min wage isn't meant to live off of.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

The problem I have with the libs is that they will not spend any money from the economy they've helped as achieve, on salmon. You say we need a strong economy to pay for the fishery projects - what fishery projects? - These projects do not exist under the Liberals!</u> They don't put money into our fish! They put money into getting more money regardless of collateral damage! Thats what fish farms do! Thats what Run of Rivers does!

Its my opinion that regardless of our economy the libs will not make fish a priority and the NDP will.

I don't know much about the NDP's economical platform and likely will not read it since this is not my knowledge base, but I think you must be jumping to conclusions with your response to it. They've got experienced and professional economists and politicians working on it and it does not make sense that a student can give it a quick read and so confidently announce that it is a joke - If it is so apparent that it is a joke, they would not have it.

I am not going to say the province will have as strong an economy under a different party, but I think the libs lack moderation. They are too heavily weighted towards business, which, I agree, has improved our economy, but at the cost of our environment. The NDP may be too far the other direction, away from business, but I think our natural world, our salmon, need some consideration. This is definitely a choice between the lesser of two evils - we've chosen business for the last 8 years - I'd like to see some pull in other directions.

There is a $6/hr. training wage in BC. The minimum wage is $8/ hour.
If you think that it is not meant to live off of you should tell that to the 63,000 BC citizens who live off of $6/ hour and the other 293,000 that make less than $10.00 / hour.
Tell that to the single parent struggling to pay rent and buy food. Not everyone has the ability to get a better paying job. An 8$/ hour minimum wage is disgracefull, when you think about the 1 in 4 children in this province that live in poverty. We concern ourselves with the number of unemployed in BC. Why work if there is no reward, or if you cannot sustain a proper standard of living. You can support these people with a livable wage, or you can support them at the welfare office, the choice is yours.
Weather you think the minimum wage is meant to be lived on is irrelevent; many British Columbians are. That is the bottom line.
I appreciate everyones responses and that this is a respectful discussion. cheers, I.I.

most 8.00 an hour jobs are in the service industry where servers are getting gratuities. When I waited tables I pulled in at least 100. a day. Most customers would not like seeing their food and drink going up in price to accomadate higher wages and also be expected to tip 15%. I am all for the no gratuity system like in Australia , but I can tell you most servers won't be.

We NEED starter jobs that pay 6-10 dollars so that young people can enter the work force and get skills. These jobs were not designed to be "careers" to support 5 kids on. There are a lot of subsidy programs that are accesible to people to subsidize rent and living expenses , but you need to apply for them to get them.

2 dollars an hour is a SIGNIFIGANT cost to a small business person. For every 4 waiters that get that raise, one of them would be let go to keep costs in line. The nanny state is far from a good idea, when I was sick of minimum wage, I did something about it. I aggressivly looked for other work, and made myself WORTH MORE THEN MINIMUM WAGE.

Living on Vancouver Island or Vancouver (Which are the expensive parts of BC that everyone goes on about) is in my mind a privleage, not a right. Don't like it? Cranrook is 6 hours away by bus. Get a skill, and come on back!

If there was a benefit to paying the vast majority if very unskilled workers more then the bare minimum, then a lot of employers would do it. I for one do, because in my retail shop, I feel it's better for business to have grade "A" staff, so I go through many applicants to find them, and consequently, pay around %20 more then similar businesses. My staff stay, and my business prospers.

This is in the face of what I consider to be a very poor labour market, as I remember showing up in a dress-shirt for an interview at a Payless gas station, whereas now tank-tops and pants down around someone's butt are apparently the norm when I place a help wanted ad. It's really sad actually.

For someone who is truly interested in bettering themselves, and not full of the "I don't wanna do this, don't want to do that" attitude, it may take a student loan, and dedication of 6-18 months of your life, but I know of a few home care providers that can't get anyone for upwards of 20 dollars an hour.

Anyone else out there who is an employer share my view?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

My parents own part of the Sasquatch Inn in Harrison Mills, usually have 4-6 staff working, depending on what day it is. Only recently after investing some money into it have we got it to become profitable, and now, if the min wage was to become $12 an hr (after 3 years, like in the NDP plan), it would completely destroy that profit. Having to pay 6 people 4 dollars more an hour, for 12hrs each day (under actually hrs of operation) equals to $288 more dollars a day, $2016 a week, $104832 a year!!!!!!!!!!!

$104,832 a freakin' year!!!!!! That would destroy us, and therefore make us go out of business...then those people who are now making that $12 an hr min wage WONT HAVVE A JOB!!!! Sure, the min wage will go up, but due to the many small businesses that will go out of business, the unemployment rate will skyrocket and instead of making $8/hr, they will be making $0/hr, as they can't find work!

It is either this scenario, or inflation goes through the roof. Do not think that businesses will be able to charge the same price for services under the $12 an hr. Prices will increase drastically to cover the increase in expenses. Therefore everything will become more expensive and those on min wage will be right back where they started struggling to make end's meat. Then the NDP will think they must increase the min wage again...and the cycle continues.

Think about it... :(

quote:How about the fast ferries and their impact on the coast?

What impact? You mean getting me to Vancouver faster?

Take only what you need.

The point of a minumum wage, is that it's not intended for you to live on. quote]

Tell that to a single MOM, who becuase she stayed home to raise kids, isn't qualified for anything else. Look at how many businesses roll there employee's over when there due for a raise they just let them go, and hire someone else for min wage. Totally in favor of a $10 min.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

The point of a minumum wage, is that it's not intended for you to live on. quote]

Tell that to a single MOM, who becuase she stayed home to raise kids, isn't qualified for anything else. Look at how many businesses roll there employee's over when there due for a raise they just let them go, and hire someone else for min wage. Totally in favor of a $10 min.

Take only what you need.

Yes, there will allways be those who are going to be harder to integrate into good jobs. BUT then there will be another minimum increase, and another, and another if we go down this road. I'm not aware of anywhere that an increase in the minimum wage has had any sort of impact on those above and below the poverty line. This hurts independent businesses the most. An extra $60 per week is a drop in the bucket.

There is no easy solution to the poverty mess, but the whole province must share this burden, not those in the service industry, or other industries that employ entry level wage earners.

I don't have any figures, but assistance to those genuinley in need, as in single mothers, those with disabilities and whatnot isn't a large part of the provincial budget, is it?

Seeing is poverty is not going to go away (Look at Finland, and some of the other EU contries with great welfare programs, they have plenty), it would be best to spread the damage around rather then then take aim at a large part of the BC economy. A graduated wage subsidy system based on age or disability may be a good start.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Very happy the Libs stood by the Conservatives and allowed the retreat of the Kelowna Accord (to previous post).

IHBT.. I have been trolled, mods keep a handle on this.

Take only what you need.

Bahaha...trolled? Not once have I. Everyone is having a fairly civil and respectful political discussion here FA...if you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen. Geeze...you crack me up. The KA would of had little affect, other than throwing tax payers money down the drain. I'm all for improving natives living conditions and education, but in a manner that would be effective.

A lot of the way they live now is of their own doing (not all). The condition reserves are in for example...garbage, old fridges, etc on the front lawns, lawns not cut, houses breaking down....etc.

Good points, SerengetiGuide.

However, think you family can profitably run their Sasquatch Inn business in Harrison Mills when their hydro rates double, quadruple, or ***ruple? I bet it would make it very hard.

Well, welcome to the legacy of the BC Libs. Don't be fooled. They ARE NOT friends of small business - only multinational corps.

Also good points, Captain Dudds. Everything the Libs have done since they came in power illustrates to me their arrogance and contempt for rural BC. It's like as if all us country bumpkins are getting in the way of their progress.

So, let's take a stand back, and remember for a minute what has gone down since they came in power...

The 1st thing they did is yanked the mat out from under Fisheries Renewal, and then - gave that money left in those coffers for wild salmon to salmon farmers and their support.

Then the lifting of the fish farm moratorium and all that stuff, which we discussed at length at: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8847

Next, came the dismantling of BC Hydro. I just posted about some of that in my last post a couple pages back.

Then, with the co-operation of the Federal Conservatives - they effectively ignored the tanker moratorium; while there's something like 5 pipelines coming at us.

Also, with the co-operation of the Federal Conservatives - they also are in the process of gutting the Navigable Waters Act.

Then, IPP's and run-of-the-river. I just posted about some of that in my last post a couple pages back.

Let's not forget mines, and the fact that they need power to operate; while many prominent liberals own mining stocks.

Let's also NOT forget that the US midwest is getting drier, the aquifers are being used-up, and rivers are more easily diverted w/o worrying about fish.

Gee - I know I'm probably forgetting lots - but isn't that enough to see the pattern?

That fish and rivers are a resource to be exploited and used - rural communities largely get in the way - as do fish - so get rid of them both? That's the BC Liberal platform. Look back at the history.

For the bottom-line of the multinational corps, and the influential families that control these corps - it makes perfect sense (to them).

Now, for all you people who depend on fish on this forum - what party would you want to NOT get back in, again?</u>

If it wasn't for Unions there would not be any Health and Safety Regulations no Pensions either Federally or otherwise , no WCB no 40hr work week , no group to stand up for a worker against big money and bosses with no conscience ................ yeah that would be me and damn proud of it !

AL

Here's another one that really pisses me thanks to Gordie's-gang:

We now have PARKING METERS at the local EMERGENCY WARD IN-PATIENT PARKING LOT.

Not even the sick or wounded can escape Campbell's insatiable need to stick-it-to-us at every turn.

Another one is the privatization of parking lots at colleges' and universities... now the students (kids mostly) are confronted with what, $30 or $40 dollar parking tickets if they screw-up?

Why slap-em on the wrist when you can hit'em up the side of the head with a bat?

I agree .[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Here's another one that really pisses me thanks to Gordie's-gang:

We now have PARKING METERS at the local EMERGENCY WARD IN-PATIENT PARKING LOT.

Not even the sick or wounded can escape Campbell's insatiable need to stick-it-to-us at every turn.

Another one is the privatization of parking lots at colleges' and universities... now the students (kids mostly) are confronted with what, $30 or $40 dollar parking tickets if they screw-up?

Why slap-em on the wrist when you can hit'em up the side of the head with a bat?

Back