Volvo issues......

Shepnoir

Hi all,

Having issues with my volvo i/o.... starts up happy, sounds 100%, putt out to open water fine, hammer down and jump out of the hole.... backfire, sputter, pop, bang, massive amounts of swearing at 5AM and no fishing. Taken it to "my guy" but $2,500.00 later same issue persists. Help! need a good mechanic to diagnose. I might add that it is intermitant and the problem isn't 100% of the time but in the 75% range. Difficult to diagnose when its not a consistant issue and only when under power. At this point if I have to pay a couple more bucks to have it done right I don't care anymore. Ugg. So, if anyone knows a great Volvo mechanic in Victoria please let me know. I will be eternally greatful. Thanks in advance.

What engine is it? Is it EVC controlled? More info please?

My buddy had issues with his 5.0 GXi that would cause it to suddenly act up and shut down - a lot of web searching, money and a couple of mechanics and no improvements - until he took it to RPM in Tofino - they diagnosed it and had him back on the water in a hurry - very impressed with their service - but off course they are also very far from Victoria.

Thanks Enniberg. I'm getting a flat spot on my forehead from banging it against my desk, wall or whatever rigid surface that I happen to be close to, so a trip to Tonfino for maintanance and R&R wouldn't be such a bad thing....

I have heard nothing but praise for RPM, It may very well be worth it giving Stephan a call.

Im sure its been done? But just in case, did you have a look in the distribtor cap? They dont breath well even with the vent and do grow green goblins on the brass electrodes. I have chased what i thought to be a fuel issue to find that a few times it was the Cap.

Thanks TS, got rid of the goblins at the begining of the season. Nasty little critters in there. Now I keep a spare on board in case they come back.

If its the evc model it could be something as simple as a fouled exhaust sensor, Im thinking if you have changed the distributor cap then its not evc, cuz they will be efi , where are you located?

Backfiring through intake or exhaust??

I am almost 100% this is it..... http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=489131 and will find out tomorrow.....

A very common problem it seems and a toughy to pin down if not up on Volvo issues. Thanks to IFL (via PM) and the others for giving me pointers!! Its this type of info and comradery that makes this site an asset. Good to see the boys working together for the love of the sport and general enjoyment instead of the bs that some trolls instigate. THANKS ALL!!

The first mechanic that worked on my buddy's boat diagnosed it to be the fuel pump issue that I think is what that thread on the iboats forum is about. He put in a brand new pump, but the problem persisted.

When he took it to RPM, they almost immediately told him it was the ECU, they installed a new one and it has not skipped a beat ever since.

Yes your ECU could need to be flashed, you will need the engine serial number and the number off the ECU and call the local volvo dealer to find out if there are any recalls, had to do mine.... very easy to remove and drop off at the shop.

Back