volvo 290 leg issue

Sradons

Crew Member
The other night I hit a floating piece of 3/4 inch rope it wrapped around my duo props and stopped me dead in tracks from 22knots. I run an ad41 diesel with a 290 leg. after I kickered in. untangled the ropes, now my props will spin freely but will not engage into gear. any advice o what this could be??

The other night I hit a floating piece of 3/4 inch rope it wrapped around my duo props and stopped me dead in tracks from 22knots. I run an ad41 diesel with a 290 leg. after I kickered in. untangled the ropes, now my props will spin freely but will not engage into gear. any advice o what this could be??
Very likely the splines got broken on the propeller hubs. The shaft will turn but won’t engage the props

There is a spline coupling that joins the upper and lower drive shafts together. Very good chance you sheered that. Separate the upper and lower and you will be able to check it.

. any advice o what this could be??
LOTS of money... worst case is top gear in housing has sheared off (mine did) FYI a brand new leg is in excess of 20 grand , I ran this system close to 18 years loved the 290 I used to have 3 spare drives and when parts came up bought them all up. best advice is if you need parts Mike in metchesion has alot of 290 parts and he can rebuilt it too

Won’t insurance cover this?

LOTS of money... worst case is top gear in housing has sheared off (mine did) FYI a brand new leg is in excess of 20 grand , I ran this system close to 18 years loved the 290 I used to have 3 spare drives and when parts came up bought them all up. best advice is if you need parts Mike in metchesion has alot of 290 parts and he can rebuilt it too
I did the same for 280 parts. Got an almost brand new one in case I ever hit a log.

Just curious - how did this end up?

I had to rebuild by 290 leg this past summer too. Lower gear set had gone. Replaced the clutch cone, bellows and seals at the same time. I found a rebuilt lower unit for the same price as a new lower gear set so went with that. Fresh Water Volvo Penta Parts on the east coast US was easy to work with shipping etc.

Do you have contact info for Mike? Looking for some a3 duo props.

Back