Visiting BC from Scotland

Dogstone

Hi all.

I'm from the west coast of Scotland and will be visiting the Vancouver area for a couple of weeks in late August / early September and I'm looking for some general advice on freshwater fishing in the BC area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've booked a hire car for the duration of my stay and am more than willing to travel anywhere, within reason. It's my first visit to your country.

I mainly fly fish for wild brown trout in Scottish hill lochs but do the odd bit of sea fishing too. I've been trawling the web for information on where to fish and what to fish for and I'm getting a bit overwhelmed! The fishing in BC looks unbelievable and I'm desperate to get a bit of the action.

I've come across a number of web sites that offer guided fishing but, to be honest, they're very expensive and not really what I'm looking for. Could you guys point me in the right direction?

I understand I need to buy a license to fish but do I also need a permit to fish certain rivers or lakes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Andy

If you are here for 2 weeks I would highly recommend you hire a guide.
Possibly an ocean trip and a river trip.
You could spend a lot of time and money trying to figure out the local fishing on your own.
There are some fantastic fishing opportunities that time of year and you don't want to miss out.

Are you staying primarily in the Vancouver area or are you traveling around.

Thanks for the quick response.

A bit more info about my trip - I'm visiting some relatives in Pitt Meadows but only plan on spending a few days either side of the vacation with them. The rest of the holiday is unplanned as yet and, as I've said earlier, I'm willing to travel to find some good fishing. I'd like to visit the Whistler area and travel over to Vancouver Island if time permits.

Can you recommend any fishing guides? Because I'm travelling/fishing alone I'll have to pay more than if there were 2 or more in my group. I've been quoted prices from just under 500 dollars to over 700 dollars per day. That's a lot of money to pay for a day's fishing BUT I'm not going to get the opportunity do do this again in the near future.

Cheers

Andy

if you can visit vancouver island, try campbell river, try these coordinates: 50.037884, -125.288776 i guarantee you will catch a nice fish

If you are fishing the Vancouver area i would suggest Predator charters for the ocean and STS guide service for the river.
If you are visiting the Island (highly recommended) there are many great options.
Campbell river, Tofino, Victoria, all with great charter operations.

A bit more info about my trip - I'm visiting some relatives in Pitt Meadows but only plan on spending a few days either side of the vacation with them. The rest of the holiday is unplanned as yet and, as I've said earlier, I'm willing to travel to find some good fishing. I'd like to visit the Whistler area and travel over to Vancouver Island if time permits.

Can you recommend any fishing guides? Because I'm travelling/fishing alone I'll have to pay more than if there were 2 or more in my group. I've been quoted prices from just under 500 dollars to over 700 dollars per day. That's a lot of money to pay for a day's fishing BUT I'm not going to get the opportunity do do this again in the near future.

Cheers

Andy

Cheers

Andy
Couple options - 1, try contacting John that manages fishingsooke.ca http://fishingsooke.ca/contact.html he's been known to help organize/fill partial charters in Sooke area and Renfrew, if that doesn't work, you could also check with Outfitters http://fishingvictoria.com/contact/ - I know they have had a single jump on a charter before and it can't hurt asking - they run charters out of victoria and Renfrew. If you want the full ocean experience, def consider Renfrew, if you have a weak stomach though, stick to Sooke/Victoria. The ocean fishing in Vancouver area just doesn't compare to over here.

Wow! Your going to land smack dab into the potentially biggest Sockeye run in history on the Fraser river dude! Your timing is impeccable!

Wow! Your going to land smack dab into the potentially biggest Sockeye run in history on the Fraser river dude! Your timing is impeccable!

Welcome to Vancouver, Canada. I agree. I live just next to Pitt Meadow. If sockeyes still open by the time you get here and you don't mind bottom bouncing or flossing for them, I can show you some of the best sockeye salmon fishing you will ever encounter. This one won't cost you anything except your fishing license and gas and you have to come with proper bottom bouncing gear and supplies. However you can also try fly fish them as the water should be clearer by then. But it will take an effort to get sockeye to bite a fly on the Fraser River. Try something green imitating a piece of broken weed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Vancouver, Canada. I agree. I live just next to Pitt Meadow. If sockeyes still open by the time you get here and you don't mind bottom bouncing or flossing for them, I can show you some of the best sockeye salmon fishing you will ever encounter. This one won't cost you anything except your fishing license and gas and you have to come with proper bottom bouncing gear and supplies. However you can also try fly fish them as the water should be clearer by then. But it will take an effort to get sockeye to bite a fly on the Fraser River. Try something green imitating a piece of broken weed.
Now that is a nice offer! Dogstone get ready to witness something you will never forget. Millions upon millions of Sockeye (best eating and most valuable of the salmon species) swimming up the Fraser. In 2010, two casts and you had your limit.

Dog stone, it looks like you like to fly fish. If you fish the Fraser during Sockeye season, be prepared. It's not an angling adventure, but a harvest. It can be fun though, just not like catching Brown trout on a dry fly in a small stream. You can look forward to some beautiful scenery, tons of jet boats, and a bountiful harvest!

I'm a Brit, moved here 13 years ago. I am assuming you will be fly fishing. Try the rivers on Vancouver Island or you can fly fish from the shore in the sea. Chest waders will be a great help! Great fishing in the Campbell River and Quinsam river. Should be coho and chinook in the rivers at that time.

Hey guys. Thanks for all your info, I really appreciate it.

Iliketofish - thanks for the very generous offer, I have sent you a PM.

Will let you all know how I get on when I return.

All the best and tight lines!

Andy

Back