Victoria police set up salmon sting

Clint r

copied from castanets news service:

A police investigation has begun after a successful salmon enhancement program was targeted in Greater Victoria.

Colquitz Salmonid Stewardship Society president Chris Bos says it began last weekend when several people were seen fleeing from a salmon counting fence set up across Colquitz stream in Saanich.

The suspects had been using gaff hooks and fishing lines to catch the fish but ran as volunteers arrived Saturday to count the salmon that had reached the specialized fence.

Volunteers returning the next day discovered padlocks on the fish trap had been broken and salmon had been stolen.

Bos says the two incidents are disheartening because the number of fish returning to the rehabilitated Colquitz and Craigflower streams had reached 330 this year, well above the 12-year-average of 280 fish.

He says the enhancement projects are under the control of the Department of Fisheries, and it is illegal to fish from, or vandalize the fish counting equipment.

Not much of a sting if its posted publicly that a sting is set up. Im not sure thats what you mean. A sting for this would be fantastic and if it was so I would be pushing to have the Vitoria police in my town, Vancouver, Naniamo, North island, comox....EVERYWHERE!!!

Yeah, you see it all the time. Announcing they're setting up a sting operation for this or that in the paper and they always seem to get a few anyway. Is this a problem island wide? First I've heard of it. Our hatchery doesn't have this problem. But then my village has no "homeless" people. Or much crime of any kind. Mostly bored teens here. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not very often. There was a murder here about 4 years ago. First in my lifetime. Victim was a local but the guy who did it was an "outsider".

Last edited:
Lots of the hatchery rivers have problems with people stealing salmon.
They are called poachers and it goes on all the time.
Just ask enforcement. That is why they now use hidden cameras to nail the people responsible.

Gross. Who eats spawning fish of any kind? maybe they'll use cameras in their "sting" operation.

Gross. Who eats spawning fish of any kind? maybe they'll use cameras in their "sting" operation.
Yeah, you'd think trail cams or something similar would work?

Back