Marine Radio Course

fish stalker

I thought id just post this up. This course was cancelled due to low turnout last time so I couldnt take it. Its not held very often. I think most people just think you push the button and say help if you need it. There is alot more to it then that and legally you actually need this course to communicate over your vhf. Good things to know im sure. Anyway if interested here is the info :)

Hello All,

This is a reminder that you have expressed interest in taking a Marine Radio course given by the Saanich Peninsula Power Squadron. We have tentatively scheduled an extra course for Sep. 28, 9:00AM to 5:00PM at Mary Winspear in Sidney. If we get a small turnout we may change the venue but we do plan to run the course regardless of the number of students.

If you're interested, please reply to this email confirming your interest. If you didn't registered online for the previous course, please go to http://sppss.org/courses.php and sign up to make sure I get all of the information I need to register you. The cost will be $65. Thank you.

Regards,

Richard

Direct Tel: 250 704-9026
Email: registrar@sppss.org

www.sppss.org

Promoting Safe Boating Through Quality Education

This is a great course and based on the crap I hear coming across Channel 16 from time to time it's pretty obvious there are a lot of people who haven't taken it. Next time I hear someone say: "Got your ears on" after calling another boat I think I'll puke

Next time I hear someone say: "Got your ears on" after calling another boat I think I'll puke
I hear you on that one. It's so annoying listening to the trash on the radio. I turn mine off and start texting. Which is not good as someone may be in distress and I won't know.

Then there are the cruisers from south of the border talking like its a phone. I don't want to know about last nights dinner or where you anchored last night.

I start to wonder if there shouldn't be a purely distress channel and then another channel for calling.

Part of the problem is lack of training. The people you hear using it like it is a personal phone have enough trouble using 16 to call and switching to another channel to converse. I was on scan this past summer one day and 2 people called each other selected another channel to go to and then one proceeded to go up one channel at a time calling for the other person "Are you there?"
If they made it mandatory as part of the cost to purchase the radio it would clear up a lot of it.

When I purchased my VHF, I asked about licensing for it. The response was... "Ya you're supposed to get a license to operate it but nobody does."

Channel 16 is the emergency channel and is also used as the hailing channel. Once you have established a connection with someone, then you and your other party are to move to another channel. I would also like to point out that most aircraft, especially military aircraft, also use VHF FM and do monitor channel 16.

Channel 16 is the emergency channel and is also used as the hailing channel. Once you have established a connection with someone, then you and your other party are to move to another channel. I would also like to point out that most aircraft, especially military aircraft, also use VHF FM and do monitor channel 16.

Wow - thanks for that Phil...who knew??

I also offer this course (and the TC courses) and am mobile, will do small groups anytime if you have a few people who want to take it and need an instructor to travel to you. My website and contact info listed somewhere in my signature. Cheers.

Back