Vhf broken nmea 1083 wires

Hog Tide

I was doing some maintenance on my boat and noticed the vhf wasn't reporting position.
I noticed the nmea yellow wire is broke right at the base of the radio.
Im thinking about taking the unit apart to add new wires to it.
Does anyone have experience with taking them apart its a icom 304

The guy who owned Courtenay Electronic would have done it. They shut their doors but I believe he's still working out of somewhere. It a really fine wire, be carful.

Personally id just buy an EPIRB. Way better then DSC emergency calling.

I never wired mine into my GPS

http://www.boat-project.com/tutorials/nmea0183xcon.htm has some good diagrams on it.

After looking at all the diagrams and knowing what getting a tech on my boat would cost, I decided to follow the same path as Fish Assassin. I purchased a Standard Horizon GX1700 VHF with a built in GPS and with the rebates it was pretty cheap. Maybe sell your old vhf on the buy/sell forum and upgrade.

The EXPLORER GPS (GX1700) makes DSC easy.

http://content.westmarine.com/documents/pdfs/Rebates/2015%20Gear%20Up%20For%20Summer%20rebate%20$20-$40%20rebate%20pad%205%23%2014-1684.pdf

If your handy at soldiering it shouldn't be that big a job.

I would say sell it to someone who does not need that feature and buy another radio or keep it as a backup radio. It is true that anyone with a little knowledge and experience soldering electronics may be able put in new wires. To me the big issue would be opening up the sealed unit and then not getting it resealed correctly, subjecting a very important piece of sensitive electronic safety equipment to the corrosive salt water and high humidity salt air environment and possible future failure when you may need it most. A pro would likely get it resealed correctly but the cost of that would contribute to the cost of a new quality VHF and may be better spent there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advise. I removed the radio from boat and considered taking it apart, like rockfish said, opening it up is Risky, I think I'll sell it as its in great shape other than than the nmea wires busted
Besides having new electronics is always a good thing.

Back