Very Sad News

IronNoggin

Very Saddening News this morning:

quote:It is with a heavy heart that I bring news which you may already be aware of.

Bill Otway passed away last night. His family has requested that no flowers be sent but that donations be made to BCWF in Bills honour.

Bill was the single most vocal proponent of the recreational anglers needs and fought to hold both MOE and DFO accountable for their actions for many years. His ability to write incredible articles and books and all that he meant to BCWF and other angling and hunting associations will make his absence so difficult for many of us. However all this pales in comparison to the loss this means for his family and friends. I only knew Bill for a short time but will always treasure the conversations we had and I will always remember and admire his ability to see through the smoke on issues that were important to him. I will miss him.

Please say a prayer for and remember the Otway family at this time.

Thanks

Well Said. I truly admired Bill for what he stood for, for what he fought for, for the insight & thoughtfulness in him, and for The Man he was.

Even though we knew this was coming, it is a damn bitter pill to swallow. Mighty Big Boots to fill. I, as many will miss him. [V]

My most sincere condolences to his Family & Friends...

May the fish forever be Hungry and Plentiful my Friend.
RIP Bill.

Sadly,
Matt

Very sad indeed [V] another great sportfish avocator has left us
It will be tough to find someone to fill his boots
:(

He definitely let a big pair of boots to fill. I am going to miss his updates on the shennanigans of our "elected" officials.:(:(:(:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Very sad news indeed.

I used to trade emails with Bill, but lost contact with him a while back. I never did get to meet him in person - we just missed each other in Victoria some years ago by just 30 minutes.

I remember back in the early '90's Ted Peck telling me that he wanted the job that Bill Otway had.

This is indeed a great loss to fishermen and fish in British Columbia.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Sad to hear this.

I had the privilege of attending a number of conservation oriented meetings where Bill spoke he was always informed, low key, sincere and good humoured.

Sorry to hear this. A 'Champion' conservationist and a foremost advocate for all in the fishing & hunting community.

Peace.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

I also had the pleasure of working with Bill on many Fishery issues. He was the Chairman of our area SFAB meetings and was a champion of the Rec Fisher. My condolances to his family.

A heartwarming tribute from one old fisherman to another.

Rafe Mair.

BILL OTWAY - IN MEMORIAM

It's with great sadness I learned of the death of Bill Otway, the sports fisherman's constant warrior. Bill was a mainstay of the BC Wildlife Association and its executive director for many years.
I got to know Bill when I was a BC cabinet minister and I was one of three to hold a hearing on the Revelstoke Dam even though it was irreversible. The BC Hydro lawyer was giving evidence and was consistently asked by Bill what would happen to a certain strain of Rainbow trout. He so exasperated the lawyer with this question he finally spluttered out "For God's sake Mr Otway, we already destroyed that species with the Mica Dam!"

Here's a "now it can be told" story. The government I was in with one exception (me) couldn't care less about fish and the problems associated with them. I got a call from Bill one day in the Spring of 1979 when I was Environment Minister. He told me that the BC Wildlife Association was going under. As I remember it was $75,000 in the hole. I told Bill that I would do what I could but that I wasn't hopeful.

Serendipitously, at the next Cabinet meeting we learned that because we had joined the national lottery, (649), all of a sudden we had a bunch of cash outside the budget. What to do?

In the nothing ventured, nothing gained mode I out the case for the BCWF and told my colleagues about their problem. I told my colleagues that these folks didn't support the Socreds because we wouldn't listen to them. To my enormous surprise the Premier asked "what was the amount again, Rafe?"

I told him it was $75,000 and Bennett said, I think we should do it and even though the rest of the room though he and I had lost our minds it was agreed. We were 18 in number but we knew that if the guy at the end of the table wanted something, the vote was suddenly 19-18!

I must here digress for a moment.

The City of Seattle had the right under an old deal with BC to raise the Ross Dam on their part of the Skagit river near Hope which would have flooded the river on our side, built a sizeable lake and destroyed a beautiful drifting, canoeing and fishing river. This came to a head at the same time and I told Bennett that this simply couldn't happen on my watch. He directed me to go to Seattle, and buy them off, which I did.

With the saving of the Skagit and the BCWF we gained a lot of Brownie points. This was all in April of 1979 and an election was far from my mind as we'd been less than 3 ½ years in power. When, right after these two events, Bennett called an election I was as surprised as the rest of my colleagues and the media.

I don't say and will not believe that Bill Bennett called an election because he had catered so grandly to the outdoors voters. He knew I was an environmentalist when he appointed me and while he certainly couldn't have forecast the BCWF and Skagit issues, he knew that industry was not going to like having me in this position.

At any rate, the same time as the election BCWF, in its news letter, praised Bill and me to the skies and that sure as hell didn't hurt! I can tell you that after touring much of the province helping out colleagues, I have no doubt that if we hadn't done what we did, the very close election would have gone the other way!

Bill Otway, then, quite without intending it, may well have kept us in power.

I saw a lot of Bill during the 80s when he took the boys from the hugely popular TV show, "Dallas", hunting and fishing. In fact I chaired at least one fundraiser for the BCWF when Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Steve Kanaly and Howard Keel were on hand. I did some radio interviews of them, I think all of them.

Bill Otway and I went to Sweden to look at animal issues and how they handled them. We flew to London First Class (those days have gone!). Bill was a rough diamond and as we sat down I kidded Bill saying that if he behaved himself I promised not to tell anyone he'd flown in the front cabin. I was joking, of course, and his rejoinder was that worse than this, he didn't want anyone to know he'd flown with a god damned Socred cabinet minister!

As we were landing, Bill did something that we kidded about almost every time we met, in private and in public - he barfed his dinner and teeth into the barf bag! My reply to this interesting development was " and you were doing so well, Bill"!

Bill loved the story.

Maybe you had to be there!

Bill always knew his brief and took care to be fully informed. That's how he was able to speak for outdoors issues so well and was such a formidable debater. He was a consistent battler against the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and one need only talk to former senior scientists from that department to know how much they respected Bill and how much they wished the politicians would listen.

Bill Otway had all the ingredients to carry the burdens he did - smart, stubborn, fearless and a thoroughly decent man.

British Columbia lost something it can ill afford - a wise man who said what he thought, when he thought it, and without concern for whom he might offend.

Bill Otway is owed a huge debt of gratitude by us all. Our hearts go out to Carol and the rest of his family.

Rest in peace, friend.

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

He was a true champion and will be remembered as such. A man of greater character does not exist.

Rest in Peace, Bill.

I used to consult with Bill regarding catch and release studies back in the late 90's.

A man with a great respect for the resource.

RIP you will be missed!

Another little story on Bill.

I met Bill in April of 1990 at Sandspit, where I lived.
He, John Brockley, (R.I.P.), Dave Peacock (a DFO Biologist) and I drove to the Tlell River as I wanted to show them a little known local fishery we enjoyed back then and get some confirmation from Dave on the species.
Upon arrival and amidst the rigging up that John and I were doing it became evident that neither Bill nor Dave the Biologist had a valid fishing license.
Old ones had just expired end of March and neither had had the time to renew their licenses it turned out. John and I laughed about that then set out to catch one of our quarry so Dave could positively ID it.
I saw the swirl and pointed it out to John who quickly covered it with a nice cast. A couple of strips and then a hard tug signalled fish on.
He brought it to hand quickly as it was but 18" or so, and when Dave had a good look at it he turned and said; "That's a coho for sure. Never thought I'd see one this far up a river at this time of year though."
So yes, I met Bill and enjoyed his company too, but I did have a laugh when he couldn't fish with us 'cause he didn't have a license.
A few years later I read through a large sheaf of papers that were the rough journal-like entries he made every day chronicling his activities. I found that day in his notes and saw he'd recorded what happened. Only thing was he spelled my name wrong. LOL
He really got around and was as dedicated an ombudsman as anyone could wish for and I think of him fondly even though I disagreed with him a few times.

R.I.P. Bill.

Glad I met you.

Take care.

Dear Friends.

The Celebration of Life gathering for Bill Otway will be held on:

November 14, 2010 From 1 to 4 PM.

At the Executive Plaza Hotel and Conference Center Coquitlam

405 North Road

Coquitlam, B.C.

1-888-433-3932

Please advise people on your contact list.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the B.C. Wildlife Federation.

If you have any questions please contact me at 403 293-2127.

Thank you.

Richard Cole.

quote:Originally posted by Derby

Dear Friends.

The Celebration of Life gathering for Bill Otway will be held on:

November 14, 2010 From 1 to 4 PM.

At the Executive Plaza Hotel and Conference Center Coquitlam

405 North Road

Coquitlam, B.C.

1-888-433-3932

Please advise people on your contact list.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the B.C. Wildlife Federation.

If you have any questions please contact me at 403 293-2127.

Thank you.

Richard Cole.

Tx for posting, will be there. It's the day after the BCFDF Banquet and Auction where we will be doing a tribute to Bill's life. I will stick around before heading back to the Rock. Hope to see a few folks there. He was a great guy who was a champion for the Sport Fishing community. I was lucky enough to know him way back to the days I was a young whipper and he and my dad were heavily involved in the BCWF fighting for fish in the days where there were still a few around.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Mother Nature needs more champions like Bill Otway
By Judie Steeves - Kelowna Capital News
Published: October 21, 2010 6:00 PM
It was the plight of spawning salmon that led to the past-president of the Port Coquitlam Hunting and Fishing Club picking up the phone to call a newspaper reporter one fall day in 1971.

Pollution of his favourite fishing river had to be stopped, he said bluntly.

He was very persistent about his concerns, very passionate about his love of the outdoors and he pulled no punches in describing what had caused the deterioration in the condition of the Coquitlam River.

Gravel operators were destroying it, he told me.

It was just one of Bill Otway’s great causes during his lifetime; crusades against the wrongs he saw being perpetuated against B.C.’s natural resources, whether by corporations or governments.

Come to think of it, I seldom remember him raging against anything his own size.

He was feisty and he was always facing down a giant—most recently the federal government for its mismanagement of salmon stocks on the West Coast.

He died fighting. Sunday, he lost his battle with cancer and died in his recently-adopted hometown of Merritt.

Bill Otway was a fighter, and it seemed we always met when he had the gloved hands raised, beginning in the early 1970s when he took on the big companies that mined gravel from the Coquitlam River.

They would wash their gravel in the river’s clear flows, then release tonnes of silt downstream to clog the spawning gravel and smother the eggs of the salmon who had fought their way back upstream to lay their eggs before completing their cycle of life, and dying.

At the time, I was a young reporter at the daily Columbian Newspaper, and I was more than willing to listen and ask questions, to investigate and insist on answers.

What I learned, and then saw for myself, convinced me to write repeatedly about the travesty that had turned the clear and productive waters of that now-urban river into a silt-choked lethal remnant of its former self.

For years, we rattled cages and howled at the authorities, each in our own way, until the federal environment ministry got involved and the companies were finally charged.

Unfortunately, a guilty verdict resulted in a simple slap on the wrist and I don’t know if the situation has changed much today, more than 35 years later.

That didn’t stop Bill, though as he carried on his battle against that and many other wrongs against this province’s beautiful but vulnerable wild natural resources, aided for 50 years by fellow members of the B.C. Wildlife Federation.

He served as executive-director of the BCWF through the terms of four presidents and in 1980 was presented with the Canadian Wildlife Federation’s Sportsman of the Year Award for his dedication.

In the years since he has been deeply involved in the BCWF Saltwater Fisheries and Native Affairs committees and was also involved in fighting the federal government’s gun control legislation.

He even worked for the federal government as Western Sport Fishing Ombudsman.

Despite his battle with cancer, Bill persevered in a pet project, publication in 2008 of his book of tales, called Fish Cops and Game Wardens, chronicling the evolution of what are now called conservation officers in B.C.

I’ll miss Bill, with his tall tales and his well-honed sense of humour, but even more important, B.C.’s fish and wildlife and their habitat will miss him.

More of us will be needed to step in and try to fill the shoes he’s left vacant.

He didn’t want a funeral, but a gathering to celebrate his life will be held back in Coquitlam Nov. 14, 1 to 4 p.m., at the Executive Plaza Hotel on North Road.

No flowers, but donations to the BCWF in his name would be appreciated.

Judie Steeves writes about outdoors issues for the Capital News.

jsteeves@kelownacapnews.com

© Copyright . All rights reserved

Back