Verado 275 & Striper 2300

fordzilla

Just stuck this bad boy on the back with a 15x17p Mirage prop. Max rpm is 5500 @ 40Mph. I would have thought it should go a bit faster, any recommendations of prop size / max rpm / speed I should be seeing? Get up and goes like stink the way it is, but with this outboard I figured it should perform a tad better.

sounds like you may be under-propped.

Verado 275 Specifications
Propshaft Rated Horsepower (HP / kW): 275/205
Max RPM (WOT): 5800-6400

I think I'd try a 19 and see where that gets you...

You need to get your rpm up another 800. Try the inertia props in the same size and I bet you'll be suprised by the difference

Ya, I just blew all my cash on this beast, hoping to get by with just a standard prop for now. I have a couple laying around, but wish there was someone local who had some old ones I could trade and play around with.

19 would get me less rpm and slower out of the hole...

oops, yes your right.. just a bit surprised your only running a 17p and turning those rpm's and mph numbers... are you trimming properly? overloaded? (fuel, people, etc,.,..) tach not showing the proper numbers? something seems not quite right. I run mirages and didn't think they're that bad of a prop. but there are better out there as mentioned. you may want to consider a 4 blade because of the extra weight load if that seems to be the issue. It may give you that extra bow lift you might need. or maybe raising the engine itself may help. trim tabs can help also. this is all dependent on the engine itself not having any issues due to timing, etc... and is running well and capable of turning more rpm's..

Just had it installed by pro guy. Assumed it was the right height etc. What props did you have on those boats to get that speed??
Not overloaded, just me in the boat and a little less than 150L fuel.

no matter what the pitch is you should be running very close to max wot with the
min load as it sits the rpm will only come
down as conditions develop. i would go
with a 15 or even 14 p stainless to capitalize on leftover top end ...

Agree with the rest you gotta get your rpm up.
Motor hight is important as well and can significantly affect rpm if its way off.

Get that motor up. Im running mine on the top holes. Gained almost 400rpm top speed and fuel economy. Night and day difference also with a 17p mirage plus.

just an FYI, I have a brand new mercury enertia prop 15-1/2" by 15P if you would like to try it. That verado should be turning 6100-6400 RPM at full pin, it sounds like your engine is too low and over propped.

let me know if your interested.

I do not run a verado, but a 300 etec. It gets peak HP at 5600rpm. I run a SS Razor 15 1/4 x 19. Sorry I do not have cav or vent plate measurement. I top out at 5800 rpm with 61.4 mph 1/3 tank and two guys 23 foot boat.

Hope that helps

cheap cheap cheap is fordzillas motto

Back