Vancouver Vanier Park Launch Improvements?!

fishin_magician

Hey folks,

I don't know if any of you use the Vanier Park Launch in Vancouver at all but it is the most convenient launch for me and the ONLY boat launch for Vancouver. MacDonald Beach in Richmond has now become the place to go for launching and hauling out.

If you've ever used Vanier Park on a tide lower than 6 feet with a bigger rig, then you know EXACTLY what's wrong with this facility.

It is long overdue that the Vanier Park Ramps and Docks be redone and improved to a reasonable expectation of a facility that charges $18. As is, those ramps are poorly engineered and need BIG upgrades. Surely, the City of Vancouver must be able to spend some capital to improve what is there to something close to what MacDonald Beach has.

The Parks Board intends to eventually remove the Jericho Park Pier because of the deteriorating piles at a cost of $2 million. Imagine what a fraction of that could do to make Vanier an adequate launch facility...and then the parking fee would then be more than justified at Vanier.

As you all know, the problems with MacDonald Beach are few--the ramps ROCK.....however, there are other issues with using that facility. Namely the gates getting locked, your truck getting coated in a caustic gravel dust after sitting, having to navigate a river in low light with submerged obstacles etc etc.

As it stands, improvements to Vancouver's Vanier Park Launch are LONG overdue.

If you have an opinion on this issue, write an email to the Vancouver Parks Board Commissioners to let your voice be heard!

By the way, even if they got the wheels rolling now to work on the issue at Vanier---by the time all the I's get dotted and the T's get crossed with environmental assessments, funding, bidding processes, consultations, etc etc, it would be AT LEAST 2 years until ANYTHING happens and the shovels get in the ground.

If you want some action to start now, then by all means, get on this and email your concern for the facility and your desire to have the Vanier Park launch improved!

Email addresses are as follows...

aaron.jasper@vancouver.ca
sarah.blyth@vancouver.ca
constance.barnes@vancouver.ca
raj.hundal@vancouver.ca
stuart.mackinnon@vancouver.ca
igrobertson@telus.net
loretta.woodcock@vancouver.ca

Happy writing everyone!!
[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Well everyone...I'll illustrate my point!

Only $18......
KitsBoatLaunchBS005.jpg

Wait a minute..this tide is low...

KitsBoatLaunchBS011.jpg

Oh...here is the paved surface...

KitsBoatLaunchBS009.jpg

Oops..there's no water....tide is "too low"...if there ever was such a natural tide that was "too low"
KitsBoatLaunchBS019.jpg

KitsBoatLaunchBS020.jpg

Oh...but wait... this is Canada...we afford things right?

KitsBoatLaunchBS016.jpg

This facility is maintained alright..I have proof...here's evidence of the maintenance ghost...
KitsBoatLaunchBS015.jpg

Proof that when you work at the Parks Board you shouldn't throw stones...
KitsBoatLaunchBS007.jpg

Back your vehicle onto this maintained ramp/beach please.... (like those screws in your tires?)
KitsBoatLaunchBS006.jpg

Oh..you can tie your boat up here...if there were water that is...

This is my boat tie up fantasy..I call it "Gelcoat Nightmare"...we are supposed to tie our boats up here...if there were water that is...
KitsBoatLaunchBS008.jpg

I'm going to back my expensive truck and risk my whole day backing up onto this nice sand.. because I just paid $18....er....no I'm not...
KitsBoatLaunchBS021.jpg

But..since the facility SUCKS...this is only view my friends, family and I are going to see today...from shore...
got to love WORLD CLASS VANCOUVER...WE CAN HOST THE OLYMPICS, HAVE MASSIVE BIKE LANES on the Burrard Street Bridge, even Skateboard Parks for the kids to smoke crack and blaze a few roaches, but we can't have a boat launch which you can use on tides below 8 feet. Got to LOVE IT!
KitsBoatLaunchBS021.jpg

FM, not a lot of responses, but, I live 10 minutes away from Vanier and may use the launch in the future (boat is in victoria). I support your cause and will fire off an email to your distribution list this weekend.

Matador

Some added thoughts!

If you launch your boat in the Vancouver area..if you want an alternative to MacDonald Beach (which is turning into a total gong show with lineups for launching and hauling out) then please email your support for improvements to this launch ASAP!

Ambleside is no more...

Fire off a quick email to those email addys cited in the first post and perhaps they'll ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!

With the requisite improvements, you'll be able to come and go as you please regardless of the tide and you'll save $$$ on fuel running to the fishing!

Sorry guys, missed this one. I took a few minutes and sent an email off to each of the listed city folks
FM, thanks for taking the time to post this. You are 100 percent correct that the state of this ramp has gone down the tube and the launch rates have increased 50 percent in the last few years.

HPIM1274-1.jpg

How much is seasonal,I think it was around 100 bucks back in the 80-90s.18 dollars IS STEEP for that crappy launch[:0]

So here is the political mouth of mashed potatoe answer to my email to the city

Thank you for your email concerning the Vanier Launching Ramp. We do our best to remove silt and sand at the lowest tides of the year but it is an ongoing problem that we hope will be addressed soon as in this year's capital budget we have funds for a complete review of the Burrard Marina which will include the Vanier Launching Ramp. This includes drafting terms of reference, the hiring of a consultant, the preparation of draft plans to be reviewed by marina and boat launch users and the public and preparing a final report to the Park Board. At the end of the day we will be including a request to the Board for funds in the next capital plan for improvements at both facilities.

In response to your comments about the fees, the boat launch is free to any user. The Park Board only charges a fee for people who wish to leave their vehicle and trailer on site at Vanier Park. In 2009 our gross revenues for parking were $43,448 of which approximately $30,000 came from people paying to park their vehicle and trailer. The balance was paid by regular vehicle users.

The daily fee is now $18 of which 35.2% are taxes that are beyond our control. In comparison, the boat launch at Rocky Point, Port Moody, now charges $19.75 for its daily rate.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Philip Josephs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Philip Josephs
Acting Co-Director
Stanley District
Vancouver Board of Parks & Recreation
2099 Beach Avenue,
Vancouver, B.C.
V6G 1Z4

Tel: (604) 257 8436 Fax: (604) 257 8501
e-mail: philip.josephs@vancouver.ca