Vancouver Harbour Regs -Hook/Pt Atkinson/Port closure

Peahead

Just brought this regs topic over from the reports page.

The Pt. Atkinson park area closure is actually very small area so I wouldn't just assume others are inside - its a very specific spot to the east of the lighthouse. I rarely have ever seen anyone in it for example (probably just by chance though as likely not by knowledge...lol) This closure is out to 85m offshore from Starboat Cove then just 100 meters following shoreline westerly to the point 125 meters east of the Atkinson light. I have drawn it out ... its pretty insignificant in size but yes you have to be aware of it. My understanding of its origin is that the Vancouver Aquarium released some juvenile wolf eels in that area many years ago and wanted to protect their small area. The nearby Whitecliff Park area on the other hand is much larger and I believe was protected as a park and for the scuba diving but then became part of the RCA as well - RCA's came out since the park protection and haven't been around that long relatively speaking.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#allspecies

The treble hook regulation and size of single hook reg at the cap was apparently put in place only to curtail shore casters from snagging fish. That's why when you draw the line from the points provided you can see its mostly shore access fishing areas. I did a fair bit of checking into this reg several years ago and found it doesn't include 99% of the waters west of the cap light where most boats fish (This is because it is a reg targeted at shore snaggers) ....If you fish east past the cap light toward the bridge you will venture into the hook regulated area but you'd then be in a Port Van closed fishing area anyway!

"Vancouver Port - all year:For navigational safety, Port Metro Vancouver has prohibited fishing from vessels between a line drawn true south from Capilano Light to the shoreline and a line drawn true north from Brockton Point to the shoreline."

Aug 1 Hook reg area -inside the line drawn:

IMG_9588res.png

Last edited:
Just brought this regs topic over from the reports page.

The Pt. Atkinson park area closure is actually very small area so I wouldn't just assume others are inside - its a very specific spot to the east of the lighthouse. I rarely have ever seen anyone in it for example (probably just by chance though as likely not by knowledge...lol) This closure is out to 85m offshore from Starboat Cove then just 100 meters following shoreline westerly to the point 125 meters east of the Atkinson light. I have drawn it out ... its pretty insignificant in size but yes you have to be aware of it. My understanding of its origin is that the Vancouver Aquarium released some juvenile wolf eels in that area many years ago and wanted to protect their small area. The nearby Whitecliff Park area on the other hand is much larger and I believe was protected as a park and for the scuba diving but then became part of the RCA as well - RCA's came out since the park protection and haven't been around that long relatively speaking.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#allspecies

The treble hook regulation and size of single hook reg at the cap was apparently put in place only to curtail shore casters from snagging fish. That's why when you draw the line from the points provided you can see its mostly shore access fishing areas. I did a fair bit of checking into this reg several years ago and found it doesn't include 99% of the waters west of the cap light where most boats fish (This is because it is a reg targeted at shore snaggers) ....If you fish east past the cap light toward the bridge you will venture into the hook regulated area but you'd then be in a Port Van closed fishing area anyway!

"Vancouver Port - all year:For navigational safety, Port Metro Vancouver has prohibited fishing from vessels between a line drawn true south from Capilano Light to the shoreline and a line drawn true north from Brockton Point to the shoreline."

Aug 1 Hook reg area -inside the line drawn:

View attachment 28948

Thanks for the clarifications Peahead.

Ditto ... thanks for the clarification Peahead. The hook regulation wording now makes sense to me based on the areas you mapped (I missed that) and for the reason/intent you stated.

"...a line drawn true north from Brockton Point to the shoreline."
You mean Prospect Point?

Very Helpful post Peahead ........ Sure hope this clears things up for those Not following the regs, unfortunately, most won't even look at this site.

Good to see you back on the SFBC site too;)

I've been waiting for someone to raise a stink about the fishing boundaries... Nobody (including our department of fisheries) seems to have noticed that Port Metro Vancouver actually changed the Western boundary to exclude the Cap mouth! The fisheries website still says from a line drawn due south from Cap light, but the Port Metro Vancouver site now says no fishing East of a line from Navvy Jack Pt to Ferguson Pt!
I was surprised when I saw it. Makes sense from a shipping perspective, but it excludes A fairly large area that people having been fishing for a long long time.
I haven't heard of them trying to enforce it, and the Port Metro Harbour patrol boats still seem to ignore fisherman that are "out of the way" when they are out there clearing the way for cruise ships.
For those that fish the Cap though, have a look at the Navvy Jack to Ferguson line, and let the outrage begin :)
Have a feeling Port Metro Vancouver patrol guys are afraid to try and start enforcing that one! They might though if the clueless ones keep getting in the way of ships....

Ya they don't seem to be enforcing it, but you never know when they might get their Ginch in a knot and ticket you.

"...a line drawn true north from Brockton Point to the shoreline."
You mean Prospect Point?

As others have commented, it is Brockton Point, being the eastern boundary of that Port Metro closure. I haven't had time to search this and TBC may know but that Eastern Boundary seems redundant as it has always been my understanding that there was no vessel fishing beyond that Port Metro Eastern boundary ....and it included the whole inner harbour between 1st and second narrows. Maybe its another authority ?..

I've been waiting for someone to raise a stink about the fishing boundaries... Nobody (including our department of fisheries) seems to have noticed that Port Metro Vancouver actually changed the Western boundary to exclude the Cap mouth! The fisheries website still says from a line drawn due south from Cap light, but the Port Metro Vancouver site now says no fishing East of a line from Navvy Jack Pt to Ferguson Pt!
I was surprised when I saw it. Makes sense from a shipping perspective, but it excludes A fairly large area that people having been fishing for a long long time.
I haven't heard of them trying to enforce it, and the Port Metro Harbour patrol boats still seem to ignore fisherman that are "out of the way" when they are out there clearing the way for cruise ships.
For those that fish the Cap though, have a look at the Navvy Jack to Ferguson line, and let the outrage begin :)
Have a feeling Port Metro Vancouver patrol guys are afraid to try and start enforcing that one! They might though if the clueless ones keep getting in the way of ships....

That's interesting as our association had a Port Metro official come in to do a talk to us quite recently ( last winter as I recall) about the Cap fishery and the no fishing boundary he emphasized was the line south from the Cap light. There had been gossip of moving it out farther west but he mentioned it wasn't something they were planning at that time. ....hmmmm

Several years ago we started up a yearly net pen project ( VSFGA ) with the Cap hatchery (who provides the smolts and staff expertise) The net pen situated in Van harbour, was orchestrated to hopefully provide more fish in the harbour but its main purpose was to attempt to relocate the returning fish /terminal fishery to further west. In other words rather than have all the Chinook returning to directly in front of the Cap mouth, it was hoped that it would "spread out" the fishery such that fish would first arrive to the Caulfied Cove/Fisheries Research area and stage there. It hasn't yet proven to be all that successful even though it only takes a few days in a pen for the smolts to 'imprint' that location. Port Metro Van was obviously positive and on board with this project's attempt. It therefore has been a very noticed step in the right direction in the efforts of sport fishers to try to deal with limiting fishing congestion in the cap mouth area in the fall.

For this reason ( and others) I find it difficult to imaging that there would be an active push (yet) to remove fishers from the Ambleside area as long as they stayed west of cap light. If the congestion east of the Cap light or out in the middle of the channel anywhere in the vicinity continues, then all bets are off....

that Eastern Boundary seems redundant as it has always been my understanding that there was no vessel fishing beyond that Port Metro Eastern boundary ....and it included the whole inner harbour between 1st and second narrows. Maybe its another authority ?..

You're quite right, it is a bit redundant as there is no fishing allowed between the bridges. I'm guessing they just wanted to emphasize the importance of that stretch being kept clear. Just like with the second narrows MRA (movement restricted area) where there is no fishing, sailing, paddling, jet skiing Ect. Essentially there's no fishing allowed between the Cap light and Berry pt East of second narrows.
It's all under the same authority.

I think they should shut down the port and all commercial traffic to give us our Cap Mouth fishery back!! :D

I concur, starting today, my crew says I should call the office and let them know we are all coming home and there will be no more work until after the salmon season is over :)

I concur, starting today, my crew says I should call the office and let them know we are all coming home and there will be no more work until after the salmon season is over :)

Don't forget Salmon season is ALL year for some of us ! :eek:

Hey Peahead. Hope you don't mind. I thought I'd add some more local restrictions in our area guys might not be aware of. These goofy sponge reef areas are popping up all over place. You need to have a legal degree, and a computer with an internet connection onboard to go fishing these days. They need to simplify everything and have all closures on one big map for each area. The Gulf Islands are beyond belief to figure out the open areas now. With RCA's, Glass Sponge Reef Fishing Closures, and different management units for adjacent islands, or even the same island. I try to follow all the regs to the letter, but this is getting beyond belief with all these different sources you now need to research before you can drop a line anywhere.

Examples of some local Glass Sponge Reef Fishing Closures:

Until further notice, the following waters will be closed to the harvest of prawn, shrimp, crab and groundfish (including halibut) to protect glass sponge reefs in the Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans...ages/Queen_Charlotte-Reine_Charlotte-1000.jpg

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/protection/map_reef-carte_recif/images/Foreslope-1000.jpg

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/protection/map_reef-carte_recif/images/Defence-1000.jpg

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/protection/map_reef-carte_recif/images/Gulf-1000.jpg

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/protection/map_reef-carte_recif/images/Gabriola-1000.jpg

What is up with all those? is only bottom fishing prohibited?? or are they complete no fishing zones ???
Can you troll through those areas, but just not keep ground fish? Clear as mud, like everything with DFO.
Can anyone clarify what these Glass Sponge Reef areas actually prohibit as far fishing is concerned.

Some of these areas overlap existing RCAs. The primary purpose is to limit damage to rare sponge reefs from prawn and crab traps being dropped on them. No bottom contact is easy enough to understand, though there may already be no trolling allowed in some because of the RCA.

Some of these areas overlap existing RCAs. The primary purpose is to limit damage to rare sponge reefs from prawn and crab traps being dropped on them. No bottom contact is easy enough to understand, though there may already be no trolling allowed in some because of the RCA.

I get the part about the traps damaging the reefs. Most of these closures don't actually overlap RCA's. So, I'm trying to find out what the DFO is intending with fishing in these areas. Are they full fishing closures, or just ground fish closures. The wording isn't very clear on what the restrictions mean for trolling for Salmon in these areas. One of the closures is just outside the Sandheads. The Sandheads is one of our most heavily trolled areas. The one by the Passage Island RCA sticks out further. which means you can't troll from Pt Atkinson to Cowans without doing a big detour around it if the area is now closed to trolling. Just trying to figure out what these restrictions really mean for trolling.

Last edited:
Back