Vancouver Boat Show 2024

I spent a few hours at the show yesterday. The boat prices were stupid and what was more "interesting" was the show discounts (basically non existent) on some of the higher end boats (Ranger Tugs being one). I should have taken a photo of the price sheets and "discounts".

Spent some time talking to Sarah and Jeremy from Breakers Marine (where we bought our motors).

The businesses and government agencies around the circle had the most interesting stuff for me.

Word to the wise If you need to buy food/drink do it at the larger lower lever food court.

I hadn't dressed for success (Plaid shirt and a pair of clean but well worn pair of Marks dockers ) and not one of the boat salespeople came and spoke to me. I stood around at the boarding areas at a few brands and smiled at the staff who were just standing there and made eye contact with them and no one even acknowledged me .

My 2 year growing my hair out for cancer wigs project has been an interesting social experiment.

Of course the smaller businesses outside on the circle like Pacific Net & Twine, Harbor Chandler, and all the volunteer and government agencies were greeting everyone with a smile and were all willing to engage folks.
Can’t judge a book by its cover, pretty ignorant and people with more life experience would know better. A lot of of people I know with money, that you’d never know looking at them, usually the ones I’d rather deal with.

Four of us did the show today from Ukee. Long day round trip. Found the show kinda underwhelming this year.
I did appreciate the sticker shock. Makes one appreciate the boats we have. 500k 28er with mid range finishing and build quality. I'm a bit out of touch.
I missed not seeing some of the glass bc and wa state brands I remember from the past. I guess some are gone (monaro), and others probably at the Seattle show.

Fun to spend a day with the boys anyways and catch up with many familiar faces.

Upper concourse has always been the best part of the show for me, those are who I would deal with throughout the year, so keeping some connections alive is a good plan especially if you need something yesterday. Looking at boats well beyond what I require is still enjoyable too. Take the time to do the floating show if you can, there is a shuttle running between the two locations, play tourist a bit on Granville Island.

Upper concourse has always been the best part of the show for me, those are who I would deal with throughout the year, so keeping some connections alive is a good plan especially if you need something yesterday. Looking at boats well beyond what I require is still enjoyable too. Take the time to do the floating show if you can, there is a shuttle running between the two locations, play tourist a bit on Granville Island.
I found some good deals on the upper concourse. Got some new grundens bibs and a harbour chandler simms lightweight hoodie for Mexico fishing. Was interesting to see a Stabicraft in person. I have only seen them on YouTube with Matt Watson fishing out of New Zealand. Cool boats but pretty expensive for such a utilitarian boat. Also interesting to look at how the rod holders/rocket launchers positioned the rods. Many of the boats made down south have a real angle on the rod holder that puts the tip of the stored rod right in the way for setting a hook on a fish vs the kingfisher which has vertical rocket launchers.

Of course!
Right.
There are some other pontoon boats made in NZ so I was wondering if one of them might have started exporting. Senator Frewza and Kiwicraft are similar to Stabi.

Another cool nz boat is the Surtees they have a deeper v and the bottom of the v at the stern has an opening to take on water ballast at rest. When you hit the gas the water all rushes out the back. Supposed to make them more stable. The newer models you can close a valve to keep the water ballast in while underway if you want a softer ride in a big chop.
Pretty innovative.

During the hey day of herring fishing a friend of my Dad had just got off his boat in Van and walked into the Jaguar show room unshaven and still in his fishing clothes. He started to look at the cars when the first salesman asked him what he was doing there he replied looking for a car and the salesman laughed and called over the new junior salesman to deal with him. The young guy was very nice and took the time to answer all of his questions and at the end my Dad's friend said he would like to buy the car. The junior salesman asked how he would like to pay and got the reply cash, then he opened his knapsack and pulled out a paper bag full of cash. The other salesmen standing around watching the show stopped laughing as they had just lost an easy sale.
That's what happened with my mother's boss, when she worked at Sak industries making commercial prawn and crab traps way back when.

For those who can't make it, HC has some good online deals in their Boat Show Flyer.
Despite this chat gpt gibberish, 7.49 for a flasher is ok:
Gibbs Commercial Green Flasher - Prism Tape

The Gibbs Commercial Green Flasher with Prism Tape is a fishing flasher designed for both commercial and recreational anglers. Flashers are commonly used in trolling scenarios to attract fish by producing visual stimuli and vibrations in the water.

Key Features:

Commercial Grade: The term "Commercial" suggests that this flasher is designed for professional or commercial fishing operations, highlighting its durability and effectiveness in attracting a variety of fish species.

Green Colouration: The green color of the flasher is a deliberate choice, as certain fish species may be more responsive to specific colors. Green is often associated with mimicking natural prey and can be attractive to a range of gamefish.

Prism Tape: The inclusion of prism tape enhances the visual appeal of the flasher. Prism tape is known for reflecting light in multiple directions, creating a shimmering effect that can simulate the appearance of scales or fins, making the flasher more attractive to fish.

Attractive Flashing Action: The flasher is likely designed to rotate or move through the water, creating a flashing action. This action mimics distressed or fleeing prey, triggering predatory instincts in fish and enticing them to strike.

Versatile Application: The Gibbs Commercial Green Flasher is likely suitable for various fishing techniques, including trolling behind a boat. It can be used in both freshwater and saltwater environments, making it versatile for different fishing scenarios.

Durable Construction: Commercial-grade gear is typically built to withstand the rigors of heavy use. The flasher is likely constructed with durable materials to ensure longevity and effectiveness under various conditions.

Trusted Gibbs Delta Quality: Gibbs Delta is a reputable brand known for producing quality fishing tackle. The Commercial Green Flasher with Prism Tape is likely crafted with precision and attention to detail, reflecting the brand's commitment to excellence.

Enhance your trolling setup with the Gibbs Commercial Green Flasher with Prism Tape. Experiment with different trolling speeds and depths to find the most effective presentation for the target species in your fishing area. Always follow best practices for trolling and adjust your approach based on the preferences of the fish you are targeting.

Back