vacuum sealers 500$ or less ..

jeffywestcoast

looking for a good vacuum sealer preferably 500$ or less, can’t afford a chamber sealer , reading the reviews of the cabela’s 15” has me sceptical but i am throwing in the towel with the foodsaver unit . who makes a decent one , sick of making crab bait .

looking for a good vacuum sealer preferably 500$ or less, can’t afford a chamber sealer , reading the reviews of the cabela’s 15” has me sceptical but i am throwing in the towel with the foodsaver unit . who makes a decent one , sick of making crab bait .
I bought the 12" Cabelas last year on sale. I think its 12", its the smaller model. It's fine. Much better than Foodsaver. Seems to vacuum and seal better. I was always fighting with the Foodsaver to get the bag in the right position to work. This thing works better. Just seems to take less effort to seal up fish.

Jefff save up man use the cheapies from Costco till then..... when they break take back and get a new one. Seriously chamber is the best and worth the wait if you need to save up.

diapers and formula seem to been eating alot of my disposable income these day who knew ‍???, lucky enough to be going on a couple charters later this month and would just like a vacuum sealer that will hold a seal properly.

Last edited:
I got the cabelas 15" commercial grade sealer. It's been awesome. I can seal 2 packs at once with it. I gave my food saver away.

I’m with @tinboatrobb. Might be worth looking to get replacement parts for your sealer. I have a cheap food saver, and I using the same bags, and has made a huge difference in sealing. Partially freezing the fish before sealing, using bags, and also trying not to move the frozen bags around helps ensure it doesn’t get disturbed, has helped me and not turning my catch into crab bait as well. My old man also taught me to moisten the foam seal as well. If you’re doing this already, then ya get a new sealer. Hope this helps.

What is your problem with the foodsaver? We use ours for salmon,cheese,bacon and other things. All good for well over a year in the freezer. We use 4mil bags from Halfords Hides in Edmonton.

It works, but just painful to do more than a few bags at a time. I have to have the bag just right. It overheats after doing ~5 bags in a row. For processing large quantities it wasn't working for me.

That's just my experience

What is your problem with the foodsaver? We use ours for salmon,cheese,bacon and other things. All good for well over a year in the freezer. We use 4mil bags from Halfords Hides in Edmonton.
I find the Foodsaver only good if i use the sealed 3 sided bags, sick of finding pieces that have lost there seal in freezer,had it five years and it doesnT owe me anything at this point, i don’t freeze anything for more then a year ,it has served me well for the 100$ i paid for it but i would like one a bit better without going to a full chamber sealer.

I find the Foodsaver only good if i use the sealed 3 sided bags, sick of finding pieces that have lost there seal in freezer,had it five years and it doesnT owe me anything at this point, i don’t freeze anything for more then a year ,it has served me well for the 100$ i paid for it but i would like one a bit better without going to a full chamber sealer.
I have a cheap Ziploc sealer that my wife bought me years ago. The food saver bags never worked in it, they would blow their seal for sure. I only use 4 mil bags now, and often find something from last year in the bottom of the freezer, that is still good. I say just use better bags

When my Foodsaver went out last year I did some research because I too didn't want to break bank with chamber sealer. So I went with the Weston Pro 2300. I am super happy with it. Works great. Not a ton under your $500 budget, but it is under.

I got my vp215 chamber sealer used on ebay. All in I was around 500 bucks. But my dad has a cabelas sealer that he really likes. He says you can hold the vacuum as long as you like and manually seal it when you're ready.

Use good 4 mil bags and you should be happy. Look up Halford Hides in Edmonton.
machine says it has to use channeled bags only , im sure thats to insure you buy the pricey Cabela’s brand bags . i sealed a piece of whitetail pepperoni to try it out this morning .

Attachments

• BC24B6D3-A922-4D87-B8CC-BF24BAABC6FF.jpeg
    BC24B6D3-A922-4D87-B8CC-BF24BAABC6FF.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 34
let us know how it compares to a cheepy costco sealer in the months to come!
I couldn’t justify the chamber sealer just yet , this one was the best model the had at cabela’s with two boxes of bags i was right around 600$ , little more then i wanted to spend but seems pretty decent , i like the 100% duty cycle. maximum vacuum at 28”.

Back