using ethernet to connect lowrance lcx 112 to a lawrence hds

mjd

does anyone on here have any experience connecting two chartplotters via an ethernet cable? I have a lowrance LCX 112 and lowrance HDS. I just installed a new transducer and I would like to use the older LCX as a screen to display either sonar or gps. I have been told multiple times that this is possible so I just need to figure out how to display it. I have the transducer running into the HDS and an ethernet cable that runs between the HDS and the LCX--how do i choose to display either gps or sonar data on the LCX display?

I have an HDS7 and an HDS5m (this is a mapping unit only) linked with an ethernet cable and I use the HDS5m to display the sonar and the HDS7 displays the mapping. My units are both Gen 2. The first thing I did was update the software to the latest version. I can't exactly remember what I did, and unfortunately my units are in the house for the winter so I can't take a quick look for you. I think I made some changes on the HDS5m - but I am not sure.

You can use the same transducer for both but I don't think you can share data. You can hook them up via nema and use the internal GPS signal in the hds to run the 112. The lcx has a external GPS puck that are very problematic I had a hds 5 and lcx 112 in my last boat and they were networked via nmea

I believe you will need a 'hub' to really be able to connect both units and share - I have the LSS sonar unit and it is the hub in my set up - originally I used a LCX-27 and a HDS 10 - that 'worked' but not as good as the HDS 8 gen2 connected to the HDS 10 gen1 that I have now.

my memory is a bit old on how the LCX unit worked when connected but I think it basically became an extra display screen so you didn't need to split screen the main unit to see multiple views at once.
Still useful because a big screen gives you the ability to zoom in more and still have decent resolution ( limited by pixel count when you split screen )

I believe you will need a 'hub' to really be able to connect both units and share - I have the LSS sonar unit and it is the hub in my set up - originally I used a LCX-27 and a HDS 10 - that 'worked' but not as good as the HDS 8 gen2 connected to the HDS 10 gen1 that I have now.

my memory is a bit old on how the LCX unit worked when connected but I think it basically became an extra display screen so you didn't need to split screen the main unit to see multiple views at once.
Still useful because a big screen gives you the ability to zoom in more and still have decent resolution ( limited by pixel count when you split screen )

Not sure how Lowrance works but with Furuno you just need a network crossover cable when using 2 units. Once you add a 3rd or more then you need the hub.

yeah from what I have been told, if you only have two devices then there is no need for a hub. I am just looking for info on how to navigate through the menu and make it so my LCX can display the sonar image. I'm normally pretty good with this stuff but I must be missing something. . .

when I try and navigate through the LCX menu I cant find anywhere that shows an option of displaying info from another device or source.

yep. electronics person from harbor chandler, who is awesome BTW, told me the two units are compatible and sonar info can be shared through an Ethernet cable. I'm sure they could explain how to navigate this problem but I thought I would try here first. I have read a lot of success stories, but they all lack the details I am looking for.

I cant' remember exactly on the LCX menu - you are looking for a tab that says 'source' - I think it was in the sonar setup menu options

thanks for the help everyone.

I figured it out! For those who are interested: Your LCX 112c needs to have been updated to version 2.5. to do this you need to download the software update from the lowrance website onto an SD card.

after you download and save the file to your SD card you need to extract the files because it downloads in a zipped format.
you then should have three files on your SD card

now turn off your LCX and take the chip out of your LCX ( make sure you have saved all your waypoints because they will be lost)
put the SD card with the three files on it in the slot where the chip goes.
turn on your LCX and the download should start on its own when it powers up.
Now check to see if you are now operating on version 2.5

Turn on your HDS
oN your LCX navigate to your sonar page and push menu--sonar choice--and choose HDS.

hopefully this can save someone in the future a lot of time and a lot of running between their boat and computer. . .

Yes but like I said it needs a crossover cable. Not a normal Ethernet cable.
That might be why you don't see the option on the LCX. Any computer store would have a crossover cable.
They look the same just have 2 pairs of wires crossed internally.
Same is true if you wanted to connect 2 computers together via a single cable. They won't talk othewise. Once you use a hub or switch then a normal ethernet cable is used.
Are you talking with Moose at HC? He helped me out on a Lowrance Elite 5 issue. Very helpful and quick response.

Ive talked to both a guy and girl at harbor chandler, both were very helpful. As soon as I did the software upgrade there was zero issues with connectivity. without the software there is no option in the menu to use a different sonar source. The issue wasn't about recognizing the HDS, it was the fact that there was no where that I could navigate to to find the option in the menu- software upgrade fixed this.

That's awesome you got it working. Feels good to solve problems like that and you probably learned a whole lot more along the way.

Back