Used Boat & Car Prices are up by 5%

AlK

Provincial Budget</u>

According to an article, by Vaughan Palmer in the Vancouver Sun, thanks to Gordo the provincial sales tax on used boats and cars is going up to 12% effective, July 1/10. [V]

If you are planning on buying a used boat or car, better do it before July 1/10.

You mean that he should be crossing in front of a Toyota?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Painful tax...just think about how it will feed the underground economy. For instance, we operate a charter business, and are GST registrants (now HST). Next guy down the dock plays the game and hides his earnings to keep under the $30K limit you can earn without having to be a registrant. You show up at the dock asking about a charter. We both charge say $1,000 a day. One has to charge HST the other doesn't because he cheats the tax system. So after tax, the guy playing by the rules is $1,120, the guy cheating is $1,000...who do you hire? Next thing you know the guy who pays his tax and abides by the rules is out of business and the cheater prospers along with the underground economy which pays no tax to keep the gov't afloat.

Totally stupid thinking on the part of gov't on this one as there isn't a level playing field. Moronic[:eek:)] thinking that will drive an underground economy defeating the intent of instituting an HST tax in many of the service industry sectors.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I've said ever since the GST came in to effect that a product or service is either taxable or it isn't. Buying a product from Fred who has to charge tax or being able to opt to buy the same product from George who doesn't have to charge tax is beyond stupid and is totally unfair.

Looks like my previous info was incorrect or the lying, cheating SOB's changed their minds (?) again! An additional 5% tax on USED vehicles sold privately! It drives me crazy to pay any sales tax at all on used items that have already been taxed but to increase it is a real kick in the cojones.

As far as "making the playing field level" between private and dealer sales that that idiot Hansen was babbling about then I guess I should now expect to get the same level of service from Joe Average that sells me a used vehicle. You know: 30 day warranties, dealer support, that kind of thing.

This is such a blatant , greedy tax grab that it boggles the mind. How in hell do we get rid of these clowns?

It isn't too late to stop this stupid tax grab. http://fighthst.com/

If the petition succeeds, it will surely be defeated in a referendum.

I don't like this tax one bit, but I guess it's time to start paying for the Olympics. :(

Everybody with a Liberal MLA needs to send an email, phone call, letter or whatever you like letting them know in no uncertain terms that passing the HST legislation will be the END of their political careers.

You've got to get their attention by talking their language: Vote HST and your days at the political hog trough are OVER!

Like I've said before, look deep into Gordo's eye's. It's plain to see he's a PYSCO-PATH. I'm just hoping that RAT-FACED-TURD HANSEN is with GORDO when the white SUPER DUTY does it's TOYOTA impression !!! If the white one doesen't work, I've got a gray one that sure as hell will!!

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

I wish you all luck going in to speak to your MLA. I had an hour meeting with my LIBERAL MLA - he listened but promised NOTHING. He also told me that he would take my concerns forward and I would hear back from him about how that went and any possibilities about leveling the playing field between HST Registrants and non-Registrants....again, heard nothing!! Bitterly disappointed.

I can assure you that I will be completing the HST recall petition, and rather unfortunately I will have to hold my nose and vote for Carole James and the NDP in the next election rather than the Liberals even though it makes every bone in my body hurt to vote for the NDP. I must out of principle change political affiliations, even if it ultimately kills the economy through NDP mis-management and the union puppetry behind the scenes that strangles the party away from the Harcourt ideals when the NDP actually governed with grace and polish.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Don't hold your nose and vote NDP. If there is an independent candidate running in you riding, vote for them. We need to break away from the traditional BC parties and try something different. An independent MLA will vote to support their constituents NOT their party. Power back to the people.

Who ever voted for Gordo should never be allowed to vote again!!!

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

quote:Originally posted by AlK

Provincial Budget</u>

According to an article, by Vaughan Palmer in the Vancouver Sun, thanks to Gordo the provincial sales tax on used boats and cars is going up to 12% effective, July 1/10. [V]

If you are planning on buying a used boat or car, better do it before July 1/10.

Here's the article if anyone's interested in reading it.

http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion...her+hike+through+back+door/2670028/story.html

The B.C. government sneaks another tax hike in through the back door

By Vaughn Palmer, Vancouver SunMarch 11, 2010

-The B.C. Liberals rarely miss an opportunity to boast about the times they've cut taxes over the years. But not surprisingly, the highlights package for the recent provincial budget made no mention of their latest tax grab.

Instead you needed to consult page 80 of the background papers: "Continue provincial tax on private sales of vehicles, boats and aircraft, but at 12 per cent."

The bit after the word "but" was the key. The Liberals were raising the tax to 12 per cent, from the current seven.

The hike takes effect July 1, the same day B.C. moves to the new harmonized sales tax. The tax on private sales will be the same as for the combined federal-provincial HST.

Which is not to say that any part of this particular increase can be attributed to the federal government. Ottawa doesn't charge its goods and services tax on private sales of used cars and the like. The federal treasury won't see any portion of the 12 per cent.

This is an all-provincial levy and Victoria reaps the additional revenue. The budget documents forecast a "taxpayer impact" of $125 million in the first financial year (when it is in effect for only nine months), $171 million in 2011 or $300 million over the two years.

However, Finance Minister Colin Hansen clarified Wednesday that those are gross figures, including the revenue from the old seven-per-cent levy as well as the five-per-cent increase. The net additional revenue is projected to be $52 million in the first year, $71 million in the second, $123 million in total.

The windfall represents another 180-degree reversal by the Liberals on taxation, albeit on a smaller scale than their notorious disavowal of sales tax harmonization before and during the election campaign.

In the postelection budget, delivered last September, the government committed to retain and not increase the provincial levy that it has now boosted by five percentage points.

The budget documents cited two rationales for the flip-flop.

The Liberals wanted to "provide comparable treatment between the private sale of vehicles, boats and aircraft and the sale of those goods by HSTregistered businesses," meaning dealers. Second, they were practising "consistency with other provinces" that have harmonized sales taxes.

The first reason is the more important. Auto dealers have long complained about the slanted playing field that emerged with the introduction of the GST, which they had to collect and private sellers did not. The inequitable tax treatment was blamed for creating a market in backyard and online sales that greatly exceeded sales through GST-registered dealers.

The complaint was substantiated by Industry Canada in a 1998 report that blamed "this skewed tax approach" for "an exploding black market in automobiles."

It went on to cite 2.4 million private sales of vehicles every year nationwide, representing an estimated $1.3 billion in foregone federal sales tax revenue. This at a time when the GST was levied at seven per cent, not the current five.

Ottawa was urged to stop the leakage by applying the GST to all sales at the time of the change in vehicle registration, whether the sale was private or not.

But the then federal Liberal government doubted the proposal was workable:

"Given that vehicle registration is an area of provincial jurisdiction, the federal government could not unilaterally collect the GST at the point of registration. Implementing this approach would require the consent and cooperation of all 12 territorial and provincial governments."

Provinces guard their tax turf carefully. Sales taxes vary across the country, not least in Alberta, where there isn't one. Not a fight that Ottawa wanted. The proposal was scrapped.

Only now, with Ontario and B.C. joining provinces that harmonized earlier, is a common treatment of private and dealership sales emerging nationwide, albeit with all of the revenues flowing to provincial treasuries.

The exact details of this and other HST-related tax changes have not yet been presented to the B.C. legislature. This year's Budget Measures Implementation Act, tabled last Tuesday, contained none of the necessary legislation to phase out the provincial sales tax and provide a transition to the brave new world of the HST.

All that will be incorporated into a separate bill, which as noted here Wednesday, is scheduled to be tabled toward the end of this month. Plenty of fodder for debate, not least the Liberal flip-flop on the rate they would charge on private sales.

"The province will retain a provincial sales tax on the private sale of used vehicles, aircraft and boats," said the Sept. 1 budget update. "These sales are currently subject to the provincial sales tax but not subject to the federal goods and services tax and will therefore not be subject to the harmonized sales tax. The provincial sales tax on these items will maintain current tax treatment."

Another day, another don'ttake-it-to-the-bank pronouncement from your provincial government. You wonder how long it will be before the budget documents are stamped "burn after reading."

Unfortunately BC has a government that should be in prison.[}:)][}:)]

IMG_1445.jpg

Back