US Boat Buying under Covid

kaelc

Anyone pulled a boat out of the states in the last month? I have one I'm ready to pull the trigger on but I figure I have to get a commercial driver with some sort of clearance to deliver it into Canada? My usual haywire person importing isn't going to work this time and I want to avoid a 14 day quarantine.

Great question. I’m trying to get one from BC to WA. Right now I cannot go across the border to do a sea trial. I’m just waiting it out but unsure when the border will be open.

Nanaimo. I trust the boat runs fine. I just need to feel it. PM me if you want me to go look at your boat. @paguy lives on the peninsula.

There are solutions:
1) hire a commercial transport.
2) be patient. The border will open eventually - maybe 2028, but it will open.

I have spoken to both border patrols. If you are a US citizen, the US will let you return without problems. However, Canada won't let you enter. I didn't ask for the reverse situation but I assume it would be the same.

I am lucky. The owner of the boat I'm buying has been very patient so far.

Howard

I recently purchased a boat from Vancouver Island and needed to get it to the US. Because of Covid-19, challenges and solution were:

• Challenge - I could not conduct typical inspection and in water testing. Solution - Dealer provided extensive video clips which did a good job showing me condition, along with computer printout of recent Yamaha motor.
  • Challenge - If I took delivery in Canada, purchase would be subject to Canadian taxes, and selling dealer would not transport boat to US (Blaine) as they had done many times before Covid-19 because their staff member would then be subject to a 14 day quarantine. Partial Solution - Dealer transported boat off island via Seaspan to Delta, which is 30 miles from Blaine border,
  • Challenge - Commercial transporters can cross border without the quarantine issue, but... they typically want to be well paid to do a border crossing when a customer has few options, like during current situation. Solution - I was referred to commercial carrier who was extremely reasonable in $$ to pick up boat in Delta and drive across border in Blaine. I highly recommend - Hooked on Towing
I happily have a new to me SeaSport in my driveway in the US.

Good luck. DAJ

BTW, I now have one boat too many, and hope to list and sell a nice Pursuit 2470 with F250 on Alum. trailer..... if anyone is interested

Yes interested, been looking into the pursuits lately, can you pm me some more details ?

Thanks

Anybody else have any luck, getting a boat up from the states during Covid, I’ve found one in Maryland and want to pull the trigger on it, but can’t find anybody that’s is will to ship it, I put it up on uship and haven’t had any quotes yet. Tried a couple other commercial carriers with no luck other than ridiculas 10k quote

I just got one. Have to use a broker. I used Bayview towing to go get it and bring it back. Canuck towing is another option.

Can you elaborate on the process, cost etc. Purchased privately or from a dealer?
It was a private purchase. I negotiated a price with the seller over the phone. He had a line up of people to look at it so I bought it without a survey. I know that's rolling the dice a bit. I had him send me a bill of sale, titles and trailer info. Forwarded that to the broker. Once the broker was happy with the paperwork I wired the money to the seller. Then I put the towing company in contact with the broker to get all the paperwork done at the border so the towing company could bring it across. I put insurance on the boat as soon as I had paid for it. I also got a temp insurance for the trip home from picking the boat up at bayview.

Broker with RIV fee was 950. Towing was 1075. Money wire was 50 bucks. Canuck towing quoted me 875 but they had a two week wait. Boat was in gig harbour so was a little more than a pick up in Seattle.

If you have anymore questions feel free to shoot me a DM.

It was a private purchase. I negotiated a price with the seller over the phone. He had a line up of people to look at it so I bought it without a survey. I know that's rolling the dice a bit. I had him send me a bill of sale, titles and trailer info. Forwarded that to the broker. Once the broker was happy with the paperwork I wired the money to the seller. Then I put the towing company in contact with the broker to get all the paperwork done at the border so the towing company could bring it across. I put insurance on the boat as soon as I had paid for it. I also got a temp insurance for the trip home from picking the boat up at bayview.

Broker with RIV fee was 950. Towing was 1075. Money wire was 50 bucks. Canuck towing quoted me 875 but they had a two week wait. Boat was in gig harbour so was a little more than a pick up in Seattle.

If you have anymore questions feel free to shoot me a DM.
I’m looking into this as well.
Just wondering what broker you used? In Canada or US?
What tow company did you use?
Thanks

I’m looking into this as well.
Just wondering what broker you used? In Canada or US?
What tow company did you use?
Thanks
Broker is located in Victoria. King Bros. They did all the paperwork. I used bayview towing. Dennis was the guys name. No issues with them either.

Broker is located in Victoria. King Bros. They did all the paperwork. I used bayview towing. Dennis was the guys name. No issues with them either.
Thanks
I just sent you a pm. But your response answered my questions. Are you in Victoria ? Or Vancouver?

Anybody else have any luck, getting a boat up from the states during Covid, I’ve found one in Maryland and want to pull the trigger on it, but can’t find anybody that’s is will to ship it, I put it up on uship and haven’t had any quotes yet. Tried a couple other commercial carriers with no luck other than ridiculas 10k quote
Did it have a trailer? Did your UShip quote go to Bellingham? There is a yard there where they can do the drop off, or if you can find a forum members they can do an inspection as shipping during the winter may result in damage.

Back