Ukee-Ladder Derby

The MYSTER gets 'er done! :D Judging from the size i would say the Spring run is over for this year. [:0]

By Keven Drews UCLUELET — A Port Coquitlam man will take home $10,102 in cash and prizes after winning the annual Ucluelet Salmon Ladder Derby fish off.

Colin Campbell secured the victory Sunday by landing a 24-pound, six ounce spring salmon in an area known as the Southwest Corner, near Ucluelet.

His guide was Ken Myers, owner of Fishmyster Charters.

“It’s a good feeling I’ll tell you,” said Campbell, shortly after 2 p.m., when he learned about his victory during the official close of the fish off.

Campbell said he hooked the salmon just after noon and took about 10 to 12 minutes to reel it in.

“I didn’t think it was that big until we got it to the boat,” he said. “Then we knew we had a good one.”

The victory means Campbell has earned $8,000 in cash, plus an overnight package at the Pacific Rim Motel and a two-day fishing package with Aquamarine Adventures.

Campbell said he’s going to have a good time with the money.

Susan Hyatt, Campbell’s partner, said this was the couple’s seventh trip to Ucluelet. She said they have always stayed at the West Coast Motel, have always used Myers as a guide and always stay in the same room.

Takayasu Veno, of Seattle, Wash., reeled in a 23-pound, 15-ounce chinook, taking second place and earning a fishing trip to Haida Gwaii with the MV Salmon Seeker.

Jim Yusep and Bill Von Brendel landed 21-pound, 11-ounce chinooks.

In fifth place was Dan Elliott who landed a 19-pound, nine-ounce chinook.

Sixty-five fishermen participated in Sunday’s fish off.

The derby kicked off May 24.

Those who caught the top five fish each month and the top 50 fish of the season were entered into the fish off.

Back