Tyee Pool DFO Notice

again, a misleading narrative, WMY, and it is purposely missing the point AGAIN!

I personally don't feel "guilty" nor "bad", for historic actions nor should I. We can only be responsible for our own actions - nobody else's.

That doesn't mean I can't acknowledge past wrongs and try to correct injustices in the short time I am alive - as dradons posted above. And yes, as a father, I sure feel for those poor, forgotten dead kids and their hidden graves and identities in the former residential schools. Any parent would feel that way - which is why (IMHO) the church officials weren't allowed legally to marry and have kids. And then the scale of the whole thing hits me and the planning that must of gone on to organize it on that scale. And I feel sad for the kids - yes - but again not "guilty" nor "bad" for my actions. But it does spur me onto demanding accountability for those making those decisions that invalidated & minimized the culture, language and hereditary systems that were in place before the European colonial government took over. And that includes those today whom are in government, as well.

And if we are serious about following our own non-aboriginal laws including case law, the honour of the Crown, and most importantly the Constitution Act - we should at least understand those laws and support them. That's the point, for me.

The rest of the whining is only noise about resisting change, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
Ig
I think on settlement it's estimated that 60% of First Nations populations were wiped out. I get it wasn't our generation, but we are only a generation removed from the atrocities of residential schools and other assimilation activities.
What happened to the FN a generation or two ago was horrible and hope every individual that hurt someone in the past gets what they deserve and then some. However it time to move forward and create a society where everyone is equal and has equal opportunities. Unfortunately the government gives FN a lot of substantial benefits that the rest of Canadian citizens are not allowed and we have to pay for. This is creating a divide in society, is angering hard working Canadians and feeding racist attitudes. FN need to stop feeling “entitled to everything ” - this is not just their land. It’s Canada and they are reaping the all benefits of our society.

I think the 4% argument is a purposely misleading narrative for so many reasons:
1/ Who cares really whether it is 4%, 10% or any number? It is totally irrelevant in the context of both Constitutional and case law,
2/ That number is very much higher in non-urban places on the coast often approaching +50% on the North and Central Coasts.
3/ The pre-existing indigenous aboriginal community was decimated at contact thru diseases such as smallpox and tuberculous to ~10-15% of the pre-contact numbers,
4/ The honour of the Crown is not dependent upon the population size
5/ Rights and Titles have never been extinguished, except by Treaties - and most of BC didn't have any treaties until recently.

Having to feel guilty to acknowledge the above points?

Again, a misleading and unsupported narrative that attempts to delegitimize these realities.

As cuttle said - welcome to the 21st century - instead of whining about change - maybe try being in the forefront of that change. It's happening regardless of the whining.

Agree. Not getting into this one but your spot on.

Pool has gone from a bounty of fish to near dead in a matter of 4 days . This insanity is going to decimate this fishery. Sad days friends .

Yes I did read through it and that's how I came to this:

"However, the release — and the commotion in response to it — was unnecessary because We Wai Kum members are not planning FSC harvesting in the Tyee Pool, despite having the right to do so, said Chief Councillor Chris Roberts, in a press release.

“DFO jumped the gun and unnecessarily issued this release because currently there is no intention to exercise our fishing rights in the Tyee Pool, near the mouth of the Campbell River, so everyone is getting worked up over nothing,” said Roberts.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.

Take care.

Yes I did read through it and that's how I came to this:

"However, the release — and the commotion in response to it — was unnecessary because We Wai Kum members are not planning FSC harvesting in the Tyee Pool, despite having the right to do so, said Chief Councillor Chris Roberts, in a press release.

“DFO jumped the gun and unnecessarily issued this release because currently there is no intention to exercise our fishing rights in the Tyee Pool, near the mouth of the Campbell River, so everyone is getting worked up over nothing,” said Roberts.

Seems fairly straightforward to me.

Take care.
The way I read it is they were mad Dfo announced it.. let’s think back to last year .. remember wondering where the fish had gone about this time of year? They have been gill netting in the past they are just pissed it is now advertised. Don’t kid yourself.

one would think it would have been pretty obvious if there was a gillnetter in the pool...

pm, am - there's quite a bit of people around both on the water and esp on the shore - is there not? Those like RiverBoy with telephoto lens even? This is not in the middle of nowhere and it takes time to deploy and retrieve a gillnet. I find it hard to believe that if there was a gillnetter fishing there we wouldn't see it on this forum within minutes of setting a net.

pm, am - there's quite a bit of people around both on the water and esp on the shore - is there not? Those like RiverBoy with telephoto lens even? This is not in the middle of nowhere and it takes time to deploy and retrieve a gillnet. I find it hard to believe that if there was a gillnetter fishing there we wouldn't see it on this forum within minutes of setting a net.
that pic was taken with my cell phone off the pier while i had an ice cream…but anyways….
one of their members deployed a net right in the pool right in the middle of the day a few years ago….and that’s common knowledge. made the paper even. now go pull up your favorite search engine and drop the pics here for us

so you would see it easily then, RB? That was my point...

and your last post confirms how easy it is to see a gillnetter and post pics and that immediately it becomes a well-known & confirmed issue. Again... that is my point.

Last edited:
so you would see it easily then, RB? That was my point...

and your last post confirms how easy it is to see a gillnetter and post pics and that immediately it becomes a well-known & confirmed issue. Again... that is my point.
Fair enough. sorry if i took your post out of context. Although i have no vested interest in the tyee pool, the nostalgic side of me has so much respect for the club. Hence why i took a photo of that gent rowing his client.

Like i said before, i don’t ever go on this part of the forum, as i firmly believe politics cant fix the mess we are in anymore; and this nonsense gets me all riled up.

Cheers

Thanks for your post and your clarification, RB. I am appreciative of your mature, professional response. Cheers back!

Back