Two speed Hali reel

ziggy

I have been thinking of purchasing a two speed reel for halibut fishing. Any thoughts on the pros and cons? Are many of you using them?

I've always been hesitant to buy a two speed reel I always thought there would be more maintenance or parts to go break. For halis I love my Tekota 800LC.

I currently have 2 Avet HX 2 speeds for hali fishing. I really like them. That low gear is nice when you have a larger fish on and the high gear is nice for retrieving and changing or checking bait etc. They are a very well made reel. If properly maintained, they should last a very long time.

I currently have 2 Avet HX 2 speeds for hali fishing. I really like them. That low gear is nice when you have a larger fish on and the high gear is nice for retrieving and changing or checking bait etc. They are a very well made reel. If properly maintained, they should last a very long time.

X2 on this...
I have same reels and smaller JX size too.
Even the smaller size will haul hali easier than single speed
I have also tried other brands while tuna fishing - only way to go! Cost is really only drawback. The shifting mechanism is not complicated in most reels I doubt you would have maint or reliablity issues

X2 on this...
I have same reels and smaller JX size too.
Even the smaller size will haul hali easier than single speed
I have also tried other brands while tuna fishing - only way to go! Cost is really only drawback. The shifting mechanism is not complicated in most reels I doubt you would have maint or reliablity issues

I have a JX as well for ling fishing. Caught a few halibut on it as well. It's my favorite Avet :).

I agree with the shifting mechanism. Maintenance for me is just lightly rinse with fresh water after every use and air dry. Oil them once or twice a year.

If you have the cash, do it! I have Penn International VSX 16 which I use when I'm down in Cabo, fishing for wahoo, dorado & tuna. It's great for hali, especially if you have to crank up from 250+ feet down with 1-2 lbs of lead and multiple times!!!!

Heard a lot of good things about the Avets, what model of HX are you using and what size braid. Think I may try and track down a dealer on the South Island and check them out.

Back