Two down riggers....or three

bcboy

Looking for some input from guys running three downriggers. Currently I run two riggers and usually stack two rods on each. I have been thinking about running 3 riggers with 1 rod each. I have a spare rigger already so just trying to decide if its worth drilling 4 more holes on my cap rail.

Cheers

Three riggers for sure. Stacking lines will always result in the occasional tangle when you hook up on the lower line. The fish coming straight up into the top one before you can clear it out of the way. Most guys run the middle rigger as the shallowest, I have always run mine as the deepest and with the longest distance back from the boat. 15 pond leads on all 3...all pancakes with the side weights bent outward and the centre one left straight.

I fished with 3 riggers using 15# finned-balls with no problems...fished the middle as the shallow and brought it up on turns. I personally enjoy only 2 riggers when there's only 2 people on board... But having the 3rd is a great option to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drill the holes, its worth it. Can't wait to run 3 this year. I'm going to mount the third in a forward position right next to the helm. Should be fun!

Depends how deep you fish..I find around here I am down 200 ft plus most of the time,and the balls can get tangled when running 3 riggers,lots of current doing strange stuff down there.....not fun!
On the west coast running 3 is great,shallow rod on the back...works great with all 15lb balls.

We run 4 riggers on our 22" boat..... two on the sides mid ship, and two back on each corner. When current and weather conditions allow we are able to run all 4 riggers successfully.. Side riggers 15 lb. balls with fins bent out a bit and we fish these as our deep lines and the back two riggers 12lb. balls for our shallow lines. Spread all the gear out so you cover all the depths better...

I work a boat with 4 2116's on the back and never tangle cables or balls and fish to 200 feet quite a bit. 3 riggers is nice....but you are going to have to handle more equipment.....same difference and more gear to get out of the water when a serious fish hits. 2 rods stacked per rigger with 2 riggers is plenty effective.

There are advantages to 3 or 4 riggers though.....especially when the Sox are around. When there are lots of fish around or the bite is short....if you are quick, you'll put more in the box and it'll keep you plenty busy. The question really becomes how effectively you can fish your equipment rather than fiddling around....just my 2 cents.

I currently run three as well, but find that when fishing over 85 feet they get tangled on turns. Fishing 15's on the side and a 12 on the back. What would you guys do to avoid the tangles?

Assuming they aren't mounted incorrectly and you aren't turning too sharply.....speed up and own your balls on the turns.

have 3 x 60's across the back and two swivels on the sides
run mainly 2 on my own and up to five if i have a buddie on board

but 3 all with 15lb's and keep things short always run the middle without flasher
and usually just a spoon

Attachments

• photos 011.jpg
    photos 011.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 144
Have a friend who runs three riggers off a 16 ft Double Eagle. To make it work he runs the side riggers with finned 14 lb disks to plane out from the boat sacrificing max depth capability for separation and does not do tight turns.

We are still running two riggers on a 22 foot boat to allow for making tight turns especially when fishing close in on structure, to keep on the fish during a bite or fishing in a crowd to turn around etc.

More recently we have been running a medium size trip planer out the back without a flasher a fair bit as a shallow rod which seems to keep tangles to a minimum with 15 or 20lb balls on HP’s keeping the lines under the boat on the sides and still stack when the conditions are good for it and we are hunting for fish out away from structure. The trip planer rod hit a lot of Coho last summer using spoons without a flasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great input guys, I think I'm sold on three. The best part is I usually fish with 2 buddies so now we have one rod and one rigger each...since there is usually money on the line.

Cheers
bc

I run three riggers on my boat,when fishing socks or chum I'll stack 2 rods on each rigger,alberni inlet its 2 on each of the outside riggers and 1 on the back and around Bamfield its 1 on each

I just run two riggers off the back corners and stack two rods per side. I have also been thinking to switch to three riggers. I have a swim grid to clear off the back so have stayed with two. Something I noticed is the riggers on my old boat were set up mid gunnel and I would get tangled but with the riggers on the back corners I seldom tangle. I may try to sell my current Scottie's and up grade to the high power ones and gain efficiency that way.

I also run 3 Scotty downriggers on a 16 ft boat, with 2 disc weights on the outside downriggers and a 12 pound ball on the centre downrigger. With the disc weights I can do very tight turns without tangles - try that with ball weights and you will have a huge mess to untangle.

more gear in the water does not always mean more fish in the boat. IME its far better to work 2 riggers really hard then screw around with a 3rd - at least for springs anyway.

more gear in the water does not always mean more fish in the boat. IME its far better to work 2 riggers really hard then screw around with a 3rd - at least for springs anyway.

It really depends what type of fishing you're doing.... If you're in tight off kelp beds then 2 riggers are perfect. But there's a bunch of other scenarios where 3 will increase your odds and its way better than stacking. Working the 3rd rigger doesn't require much more effort than the first 2 ?

Back