Tuna Talk

You can run the orange dive boards off the down rigger no problem. Works better than a cannon ball, less blow back. In fact for tuna i would suggest using the diveboards instead of the cannon ball. You can run multiple rods on that line to the dive board. Maybe put the noise maker behind the diveboard. And those boards only come up if you come to a COMPLETE STOP so they stay right down even if you slow right down. Having both divboards down off the down riggers acts as a stabilizer for the boat as well, a tiny bit. There is something about the cannon balls I just think the tuna don't like tho I know others disagree. So many options!!!

Hey Sculpin, sorry I missed you guys while you were south of the border. I went to the shows on Friday with goatram, so it was time to kill some salmon on Saturday, which we did.......a 15,13,and 2- 8 pounders in the San Juans.

Goatrams homemade bait and bleed barrels definately served their purpose. I went with him on the tin lizzy a few times and was impressed with how well they worked, especially the bleed barrel.

I'm slowly gaining momentum and gathering some great stuff to be donated to the tuna shootout. Good to see you guys gearing up for the main event. Remember, those with the most tackle are usually those with the best tackle, so make sure you get a few of each lure, cause just like salmon fishing, there's always a few lures that work better than others.

What you need John is a warm-up session just prior to the shootout and I have an idea that will do just that. You and your Tofino buddy need to come down here for a 1 day shot on a tuna charter boat....$350 for a day trip out of ilwaco on a 56 foot 18' beam party boat that takes 10 guests per trip. They carry 10 scoops of bait and when they find fish it's game on feeding frenzy with most every rod hooked up. Last year we loaded the boat with 147 before noon. This year I have the same date (mid sept.) and I reserved the whole boat and I have a few spots unclaimed if you're interested.

You got my number John, so mull it over. We'd love to have a few BC boys on the trip to show us all how it's done.

I would love to go John but that's too far of a drive for just 1 day of fishing.

What you need John is a warm-up session just prior to the shootout and I have an idea that will do just that. You and your Tofino buddy need to come down here for a 1 day shot on a tuna charter boat....$350 for a day trip out of ilwaco on a 56 foot 18' beam party boat that takes 10 guests per trip. They carry 10 scoops of bait and when they find fish it's game on feeding frenzy with most every rod hooked up. Last year we loaded the boat with 147 before noon. This year I have the same date (mid sept.) and I reserved the whole boat and I have a few spots unclaimed if you're interested.

You got my number John, so mull it over. We'd love to have a few BC boys on the trip to show us all how it's done.

It would be great to throw my name into this hat. If John pulls the pin, (DO IT!!) I'm in...

Pretty sure we talked about opportunity's like this on the way home...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to amass my tuna tackle collection, other than a few donations from the Cpt. for trophies from the slaughter. Can someone tell me how the jet heads are attached to the skirts? I assume they are glued to the head?

Just curious as I may tinker with making some of my own heads to attach to some skirts we found for 4.99/10pack (6" skirts)

Live bait here we come! I've never been so excited for the end of summer lol. The Pacific Dream indeed!

I have yet to amass my tuna tackle collection, other than a few donations from the Cpt. for trophies from the slaughter. Can someone tell me how the jet heads are attached to the skirts? I assume they are glued to the head?Just curious as I may tinker with making some of my own heads to attach to some skirts we found for 4.99/10pack (6" skirts)
No glue needed-here's a vid from the Black Bart site.

[5UY5eeOP784] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UY5eeOP784

A big shout out to Blackvelvet for inviting Shawn and I on this party boat. These two BC'ers will try our best to show you how it's done lol. Shawn and I are grabbing life by the throat and going for it. Thanks again Ted. Awesome invite man.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Whoops!! looks like I mis-interpreted the posts due to this succession of posts....hard luck! No worries, I expect a full report and How-To!

I would love to go John but that's too far of a drive for just 1 day of fishing.

It would be great to throw my name into this hat. If John pulls the pin, (DO IT!!) I'm in...

Pretty sure we talked about opportunity's like this on the way home...

Just talked to Ted and he has reserved two seats for me on the Pacific Dream for Sept. 14th.

Definately interested Ted

GREAT video dogbreath. A couple plumbing style barbs and I'm good to go. Cool stuff....

Whoops!! looks like I mis-interpreted the posts due to this succession of posts....hard luck! No worries, I expect a full report and How-To!

No worries FB. I might be looking into something earlier as well out of Westport if we can get enough addicts together. Crabbychris was talking about it last year.

No worries FB. I might be looking into something earlier as well out of Westport if we can get enough addicts together. Crabbychris was talking about it last year.

I had planned to tow down to westport last year but didnt have the chance. Any interest around here for buddy boats? would like to set something up for mid July...

I had planned to tow down to westport last year but didnt have the chance. Any interest around here for buddy boats? would like to set something up for mid July...

Do you mean buddy boating out of Westport or buddy boating out of WCVI again?

Westport. Buddy boating out of WCVI would be a given...

I have given it some thought but will probably try to get out there on goatram's boat once this year. You could easily meet up with some of the fleet and buddy boat it out of Westport. Try pm'ing Ted (Blackvelvet) he could help you out for sure.

Yeah seems like a pretty good group of guys down that way. I'm hoping the stars align, can't wait to try that livebait game!