Tuna Talk

The boards worked well. I took them out in conditions that I hope not to fish so far out so I do not think there will be any problems. Also, they splash alot!! I will certainly be putting a naked clone right behind it. I did use the weed eater cord as suggested and it has a fair amount of bungyness to it which I think is important. It isn't very expensive and it highly visible. I hope to do a pelagic trip after the weekend. The SST looks even better this morning compared to yesterday. Cant Wait!

Can anybody explain to me the chlorophyll charts on terafin.
What is a good level?
What is to low?

The boards worked well. I took them out in conditions that I hope not to fish so far out so I do not think there will be any problems. Also, they splash alot!! I will certainly be putting a naked clone right behind it. I did use the weed eater cord as suggested and it has a fair amount of bungyness to it which I think is important. It isn't very expensive and it highly visible. I hope to do a pelagic trip after the weekend. The SST looks even better this morning compared to yesterday. Cant Wait!

Can anybody explain to me the chlorophyll charts on terafin.
What is a good level?
What is to low?

Did you crimp the weedeater line? I watched your video quite a few times now and really like this idea. When you hook up a fish do you leave the gear in the water or have someone bring in the planer boards? Do you think the color of the boards will play any part in successful hook ups? Sorry for all the questions but this is cool stuff!

I can't help you much on the chloro charts. I am totally new to reading them. On the SST's I do remember him saying to look for pockets or tongues that stick out along the line.

Thanks for the great tips and info on gear etc. I am really enjoying your posts.

Cheers,
John

I think the WEL( weed eater line) has to be crimped. It does not tie well but I suppose one could get by with out it. Color? Good question. I will be playing around with color on all my splash boats this year but I have a feeling that it will be challenging to find results on that. I have asked a fair number of commie tuna fishers about the orange on the commercial splashers and the general consensus is that the orange is for the fisherman. but know one knows for certain. So that leaves color open to dabble with. Perhaps the splash is most important but I catch tuna on naked clones as well.
The boards stay out until you run out of snaps. The idea is to have a bunch of snaps on clips and they just keep ending up at the plane board. When you run out of clips you bring in the board and get them all back. I plan on having 8 or 10 per side. Also, I am pretty sure that the only option is to use the scotty snaps.

The idea is to have a bunch of snaps on clips and they just keep ending up at the plane board.
Are you just using shower curtain type rings?

FWIW Sharks in some waters love Yellow no idea about WCVI.

Birdsnest look for 1 or lower on chlorophyll charts. Shows up green/blue and below 1 purple. When heading out for them you will see water color change to a nice blue color.

Birdsnest look for 1 or lower on chlorophyll charts. Shows up green/blue and below 1 purple. When heading out for them you will see water color change to a nice blue color.

Thanks for that. I love the blue water.

Sculpin,

I am using the same snaps as photographed in that link. Exactly the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a cool video showing chumming and casting to them. It's like their fishing in a trout pond lol!!!

[video=vimeo;31414620]http://vimeo.com/31414620

Same guys, different trip, with some trolling thown in.

[video=vimeo;35437888]http://vimeo.com/35437888

Anyone know of a place to buy live 'chovies here in BC? Ever try picking up a cast net a catching your own bait? the biggest issue with this would be finding it efficiently the day of a trip I guess. it doenst seem like it would be too terribly dificult to scoop some up if you come across a ball boiling at the surface.

These fellas stayed out over night! I wonder what the protocol on that is. Obviously perfect weather. They must take turns sleeping at night by leaving one person on "the watch". I would like to do this. They also fished at night. Interesting.

Looks faster and easier than what I have been doing for certain.

Thats how we...well my 2 buddies did it. They were able to get the hang of it much quicker than I so, I was put on cleaning duty once the fish were fileted. Its an awesome method, I did do a few and its pretty cool how the meat just rolls off the skeleton once you make the lateral incision. My problem was, with little stubby shop finger nails, I couldn't grip the skin to peel it off the carcas. Took like 5 hours to do 20ish fish as rookies to the trade. Took longer to clean em than catch them!

Ya, I thought the same about the belly meat. Going to try to hit it tomorrow. I know its too early but last year I got them on July 06th and the water was even cooler than it has been for the last 2 weeks. Wish us luck.
Hope the dock looks like this when we are done.
P9130019-1.jpg