Tuna Candy?

spring fever

Any of you Tooner freakers applied an Indian Candy recipe or perhaps a lox recipe to your Tooners? If so-what do you think?

Any of you Tooner freakers applied an Indian Candy recipe or perhaps a lox recipe to your Tooners? If so-what do you think?

Nog's maple bourbon tuna is worth coming to blows over. I hoard that stuff like there's no tomorrow...

Would you do it just like salmon or would you need different brine times?

Yes brine times are very different. Where I would dry brine salmon in salt only one hour I would leave the tuna for 5 hours so a big difference.

Guess we'll find out soon. Got a bunch of white bonita and yellow fin out of the brine and drying under a fan. Sounds like smoked Tooner and Cervaza type evening for sure!!!

Nog's maple bourbon tuna is worth coming to blows over. I hoard that stuff like there's no tomorrow...

LOL! That would be Maple - RUM cold-smoked Buddy! ;)
Rather Good if I do say so myself.

When I decided to try this a few years back, I simply could not find a recipe that appealed to me. I knew what I wanted as a finished product though, so set about reading as much as I could on the different types of processes involved, and chatting with some of the better lox makers I could contact. Ended up with a bastardized double brine method highly recommended for salmon lox, with a few modifications of course. First couple runs were encouraging, so set about "fine tuning". Now, the product is consistently Awesome. Lengthy, detailed and time consuming project for sure. Well Worth It in the final Taste Test!!

Here's how it developed for me: http://fishbcforum.com/index.php?showtopic=57101

The old fridge smoker pictured in that thread has now been inherited by a Buddy. Work starts TODAY on the new Stainless Version. Will post a picture or two of the latest (Mark Forty-Seven... LOL!) version once she is up and running...

Cheers,
Nog

Back