Tsunami Advisory: Volcanic Eruption near the Tonga Islands. January 15, 2022.

Interesting to know if you are at sea to take your boat out to water over 180 feet deep plus. I’d like to know more about what to do while on a boat but this helps.

Been in Tonga when an undersea eruption happened the night before-fishing that day was shot to hell.

Probably nothing worse than a tanker's wave but didn't head out as planned. Besides, there's a good chance the beaches and boat launches will be closed to protect us.;) There was a cop parked in front of the Willows webcam. Gates to Esquimalt lagoon closed.

You learn pretty quick when you fish out of a small boat to get away from reefs and shallows when you see a big wave coming.

Took a drive to a few local ramps this morning surprisingly a fair amount of trailers at pedder bay as well as spirit bay. Was planning on heading out myself but decided to stay home today.

I believe there's less chance of a significant wave building in deeper water.
Yeah the waves tend to build as they move upslope from deep to shallow water. That’s why some areas with gradual shelving are more likely to have an issue. If I remember my Oceanography correctly there is a formula to calculate lambda ( wave height), when the lower mass moves slower than the upper mass. Essentially the shallowing slows the lower water allowing upper water from behind the wave to catch up and build in height. At mid ocean a potential tsunami could be just centimetres.

Last edited:
Years ago a commercial fisherman my dad knew was telling me and my dad the story of the 1964 tsunami, he was out somewhere off Barkley sound when it went through. He was in deep water well off shore. He said his boat rose gently as the surge went through and slowly back down as the surge passed. We all know what happened when it hit the shallow water of Alberni inlet.

I don’t like to post bad news videos, however it is relevant to the topic. Watch the nice sport fishing boat wish it was pointed the other way.

Came across this a couple years ago. Would have been nice if they extended it past the border.
Towards the end, looks like Semiahmoo Bay and Crescent Beach area could be affected according to this model.

Zoom in on San Juan and Southern Gulf Islands

Many guys fish Alberni inlet here. A tsunami is assured ...its just when. I just read that you need 180' feet (30 fathoms) of water to ride it out. In that narrow inlet maybe just beaching the boat and run for high ground.

Back