Tsartlip Boat Ramp Reopening

Fisherman Rob

Looks like we have another ramp option in Saanich again!
Not sure about fees though. $15 launch. $15 parking. Does that mean $30 total or does the launch fee include parking for tow vehicle and trailer? If mot that’s really expensive!

Looks like we have another ramp option in Saanich again!
Not sure about fees though. $15 launch. $15 parking. Does that mean $30 total or does the launch fee include parking for tow vehicle and trailer? If mot that’s really expensive!
That’s pretty standard pricing for us mainlanders. $10 launch, $10 truck park, $10 trailer park

What a scam. 99.99% of people launching, are going to need parking. Just make it a flat fee. For $30, I’m sure most people will still use Tulista.

Very good to hear it is opening up again after the Covid Closure.

I suspect you may find it is $15.00 launch including parking for the boat and trailer for the day, which would be in the range of other commercial launch costs on South VI. Parking cost for a 2nd vehicle if someone meets you there would make sense or if you are going to leave the truck and trailer there for multiple days.

If they go beyond that, a few may pay it, but overall I think they would make less money as use decreases overall. For example if you have a waterfront home and put your boat in and then keep it at your own dock for the summer you may be willing to pay a little more, but it is only twice a summer and if you have two people you could drive the truck away. If you are a cost averse family with kids and a smaller cheap boat who want to go out for a few hours and try for a few prawns or a small salmon, $15.00 total cost would be max. in my opinion and $10 or $12. would be more competitive.

Let's also keep in mind that unless they have done a lot of work on it, let's be polite and say that it is not the best ramp or particularly well maintained and even if they spent a couple of hundred thousand on it, it would still not be close to the standards of some other South VI ramps like Esq. Anglers.

Comparing with Vancouver prices is not apples to apples. The Vancouver area market is completely different and much higher for many things than VI. I won't be buying a home in Van, renting an Apt. or putting my boat in a Vancouver Marina anytime soon.

Going beyond $15.00 total would also add to the pressure that governments are already facing to provide a public access ramp in that general area and why would they want that competition.

I would say wait until the price situation is clarified, and I would not be surprised at all if it is $15.00 combined for a launch and one truck and trailer parking for the day, but if I am wrong, it won't be the first time.

Last edited:
They seem to have taken the news post down about the new ramp, so not sure what the upgrades were. It looked like they built a float beside the ramp. I recall the ramp had a few big gaps in the concrete, and it was a bit of a drop off the end of the ramp, so hopefully they fixed that.

Did a drive by. Big cement block says ramp closed but it has been moved aside so I swooped down.

Attachments

• C46C4581-869B-4C4A-B80D-809B47D9CF8A.jpeg
    C46C4581-869B-4C4A-B80D-809B47D9CF8A.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 85
Back