Truck tire info on road off road.

Birdsnest

I searched "tire" to try and find all those discussions on tires but I could only find a few.

For a year now my truck has been on Toyo open country c/t's. they are pretty much what is stated on the most of the reviews. A bit loud on the pavement but good on the highway, great off road, with performance losses in the snow. They last a long time tho. After a year mine look great and are even wearing evenly.

I had goodyear duratracks in a 285. They were 8ply and they were terrible on the logging roads where I found many flats. I had to get out of those,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any deals or new information on truck tires.

I use cooper STT Pro and love them. They are a semi agressive mud tire, work great on all ground, a little sliperry on snow but thats expected, they have the normal hum of a mud tire. I have had 18 months now and tire wear is good even with 2 detroits. They are built tough and coopers premier off/on road tire. Got mine at Dumont tirecraft in sooke, best price by $200 over other quotes. They come in all sizes, just saw a set of 37 at Canadian Tire Sun.

HM

Not sure what Duratrac tires you had as most are a 10ply?. Thats what i have on my diesel and love them. Theres a reason that the majority of rig guy use them on there trucks in alberta.

Toyo's are good but I have had good wear with Hankook's as well. We used them on all field trucks in Northern Alberta too. Not going to bash GoodYear Duratracs because I have never ran them. That being said the only flat tires I have ever changed on either my truck the wife's car or SUV has been the stock Goodyears that have come new with the vehicle.

My next set are bfgoodritch commercial t/a. Great traction, good ride and durable.

duratrac only come in 8 ply for 17" rims// anybody i know that drives half butt aggressive has torn side walls on their dura tracs

i like my toyos, 2 years now, over 40 trips on the bam road. no flats.

Toyo's are good but I have had good wear with Hankook's as well. We used them on all field trucks in Northern Alberta too. Not going to bash GoodYear Duratracs because I have never ran them. That being said the only flat tires I have ever changed on either my truck the wife's car or SUV has been the stock Goodyears that have come new with the vehicle.
Had the same problem with the tires my 2010 Explorer came with having several flats in the first year replaced with Michelin's and have had no flats in five years. Interesting thread as I need new tires as well.

duratrac only come in 8 ply for 17" rims// anybody i know that drives half butt aggressive has torn side walls on their dura tracs

i like my toyos, 2 years now, over 40 trips on the bam road. no flats.

exactly my position!

I run BFG all terrain KO2 on my truck. It's a second gen dodge diesel and they are notoriously hard on tires. Been running these KO2 for a year and they seem to be hangin in. Wearing evenly, lasting and aggressive tread pattern. A little steep but worth it so far

I run BFG all terrain KO2 on my truck. It's a second gen dodge diesel and they are notoriously hard on tires. Been running these KO2 for a year and they seem to be hangin in. Wearing evenly, lasting and aggressive tread pattern. A little steep but worth it so far

I've been running the same after my Nitto disappointment. I run them on a Ford F250 gaser crew cab long box. Great tires IMO. Totally awesome off road hunting this year and great on the highway. They have proven themselves with all this white sh*te today lol(they are great in the snow).

Last edited:

Yup, I have a two year old set of KO2's on my F350, got talked into them at WestCoast tire. Was told they were a new design over the old BFG's and would last about 15% longer which was the knock on the old style BFG's. I'm happy with them.

I have the Copper discoverer A/T3 on my personal 2500 HD and have had no issues after 40,000 km.

On my work truck (f250) I have dura tracs with about 55,000 km lots of which is abusing them hard on logging roads and they are holding up. That being said another one of our trucks had the same tires and the sides started coming off them.

My Nitto Terra Grapplers actually lasted me 140,000 KM before I swapped them. They wore great, but I have heard other reviews of them wearing out extremely quickly. I think it depends if you get the Load D or Load E rated tire. Must be a different rubber compound but mine were Load E 10 ply.

I now have the BFG KO2's like many others. I am very impressed by them, and they have the snowflake for highway roads. I got mine for $900 because some guy put them on his truck for 3,000 KM but didn't like the gas mileage and went back to his stock tire size.

Good to hear that the KO2's are getting good reviews, ran BFG's for years and those KO's ruined my and many buddies opinion of BFG's......they were by and large good tires but you could only get 50k out of them when they put the snowflake on them.
Currently have 60k on Mickey Thompson's and pretty impressed, I did get better fuel economy on the BFG's though.

GnB

Just put Toyo at2 on my dodge diesel and they have been great so far. Good traction in snow and ice. Fairly quiet and mine are 35/12.5. Runs smooth

I will be in the market for new truck tires, currently have BFG's because they came with the truck when I purchased it new. No problems with the BFG's, have had only one flat tire in ten years, but the replacement tires will be Michelin. Had them on my previous truck and cars and got excellent mileage out of them and never had a flat tire.

A year ago I put on some General Tire A/T2's on my Ford Ranger. They go on sale pretty cheap at Canadian Tire occasionally. They look pretty similar to the BFG AT's but for much less. I was concerned that they might be noisy, but as it turns out they are surprisingly quite for this type of tire. A good option if you are looking for an AT tire on a budget.

Always had BFG's on my trucks in the past but decided to try Toyo AT2's last year because I don't 4 wheel any more and wanted better performance on highway.

The Toyos suck in snow and ice which is a real disappointment for me.
Last week in the Victoria snow I suddenly had my butt end passing my front end on the highway. Had plenty of slides in the recent snow and ice. Not impressed.

Back to BFGs next time around.

The Toyos wear ok but need to be rotated regularly.

Tips

Back