Trophy Tyee Reels

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

I have two trophy tyee reels that I used on my fishing trip this and year, unfortunately both reels let me down, they are plague by a very weak handle design, I have now broken off 4 in total. Also on one reel the drag no longer functioning. I want to send them both in to Trophy to be repaired along with letter expressing my disappointment with the poor quality of the these reels. I can't seem to find any contact information for this company online. Anybody know where to send for repair, or how to get in contact with the manufacturer?

Capt

Marty....this is the company. https://www.redlsports.com/about.html

I can't recall the name of the service/repair guy but if you call PAC Angler they'll know....it may be Reg or something like that. He was a nice guy to deal with.

I have been fortunate to only lose one handle in a lot of years (it just came unscrewed so no issue with the post or threads) Going to convert to Shimano paddles this fall. I put Islander drag springs in mine and they just performed great in Kyuquot. Other thing to check is that you have washers on either side of the drag springs, their guy (Reg) told me some came from the factory without 2.

Have you played around with the tightness of the screw at the Center of the drag?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guy's

I have two trophy tyee reels that I used on my fishing trip this and year, unfortunately both reels let me down, they are plague by a very weak handle design, I have now broken off 4 in total. Also on one reel the drag no longer functioning. I want to send them both in to Trophy to be repaired along with letter expressing my disappointment with the poor quality of the these reels. I can't seem to find any contact information for this company online. Anybody know where to send for repair, or how to get in contact with the manufacturer?

Capt

Wow surprising have a few on them run them year round and pretty happy for last few years... Wolf used them as well..As far handles snapping off thats a first I heard of...Question are these the new trophy reels that have the plastic paddle handles (this year's design)...? As for your issue maybe phone harbour chandler in nanaimo who there contact is for that reel. Dane or Moose might know... I heard customer service is excellent and they will just replace them... I run islander delrin handles with a thicker post but you have to modify reel...Good luck...

Those reals are made in Korea I think...u will get no support. I have run them for 4 years now with no issues. Try reel repair shop or bring back to where I bought them.

Those reals are made in Korea I think...u will get no support. I have run them for 4 years now with no issues. Try reel repair shop or bring back to where I bought them.

I wouldn't make statements unless you've dealt with them. ;) I've had great support from RedL and their service/warranty guy Reg. RedL's proprietary brand IS Trophy among others and from all I have experienced they do stand by them.

Only caveat is IF it is a warranty type issue the washers I was missing and handle were shipped to a dealer/retailer, and not even one I bought from.

That's a LONG time between double posts. :p :rolleyes:

i just talked to redlsports sounds like they have some selection of parts to repair those reels as i just picked up a new to me tyee qr as well :) but mine is in good working order.

I had an issue a couple years ago with the handle screws backing out and handles coming off both my Trophy's. When I put them back on I used Loctite and they stayed on. Other than being really small handles, they worked just fine with the Loctite. I saw a post on this forum about making the conversion to using the rubber Shimano paddles. I did that conversion to the Shimano paddles and love the feel of the larger handles. However, one of the handles came off while fighting a fish last week and we discovered that the screw hole in the reel was completely buggered and stripped, no way to just screw it back on. I have no choice now but to attempt Wolf's conversion to the Islander posts and handles. This means using a Dremel to countersink the hole on the inside of the spool and attach the Islander posts from the inside via the countersunk screw.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...hy-reel-conversion.&highlight=reel+conversion

I ordered my Islander paddles and posts today. Next will be the scary part of taking a Dremel to my reels.

I have a Trophy and and mr3 ... i like the trophy much better . Ive had the reel for 6 yrs now , no issues whatsoever

i just talked to redlsports sounds like they have some selection of parts to repair those reels as i just picked up a new to me tyee qr as well :) but mine is in good working order.

Newer vintage with the larger handles?

If it's the smaller handles I can't say enough how much better the drag is with a ~$10 investment in Islander drag springs. I no longer have problems with rookies making birdsnests and that makes me a happy boy!!!

There is a lot more play now and I personally had no issues with the old ones as I was used to them but this investment is well worth it. ;)

Newer vintage with the larger handles?

If it's the smaller handles I can't say enough how much better the drag is with a ~$10 investment in Islander drag springs. I no longer have problems with rookies making birdsnests and that makes me a happy boy!!!

There is a lot more play now and I personally had no issues with the old ones as I was used to them but this investment is well worth it. ;)

Ill have to get some, so that helps alot with the reel creeping then?

I'm putting Trophy springs in my Islander. I prefer the way the drag tightens more quickly on the Trophys with less line creep.

Ill have to get some, so that helps alot with the reel creeping then?

With either spring I have had ZERO issues with line creep. The Islander springs give you more play with the drag. The Trophy springs I had in mine went for full on to almost free spool in 1/2 to 3/4's of a turn of the drag knob. Was really tough for newbies to work the drag as when they have a fish on they turn the knob a slight turn and then the fish is running for high heaven with no drag resistance. Islander springs give you MUCH more play/flexibility with the drag which I do like and it's great for people who don't quite understand as they can turn it a full turn and not go into free spool like drag.

I can understand guys wanting to purchase a quality reel. That said when you put out the kind of money you need too for these Trophy reels ....... Why in the hell should you have to reoair or use other parts from different brands to bring them up to speed. Personally, they will never get my business nor would I recommend them .until they build something worth the bigger money, you should not have to repair any quality reels. I've been fishing the chuck for over fifty years, saying that I still have in service Diawa 275 reels, still going strong, they are from the early eighties ....... not near the said quality of these Trophy brand yet out performing them hands down. I refuse to support or sink what is hard earned money into junk that heads modification a couple years down the road.
I'd completely stay away from these Trophy brands, and if you do want to spend big money ...... Then go with the
Islander .......

200 bucks cheaper than an islander a trophy is... put in a couple parts from an islander in and it increases its performance greatly! Reels like all equipment tend to personal preference from one fisherman to another and customizing to your own liking may or may not be for the next guy. I have a trophy and have had zero issues and an mr2 which is awesome because of the free spool option and there are pro's and cons to both but you can't tell me technology from 30 plus years ago are out preforming today's . that just doesn't happen... my 2 cents

The boat on which I often fish has 3 Trophys and an Islander MR3. They are all 4-5 years old. We almost always run 4 rods. They are all very good, but I must say I strongly dislike the sound the Islander makes, so I prefer the Trophy reels. I have a variety of junk on my boat. It catches fish and so far is theft-proof overnight at marinas in my open boat. High Tide, I did break a rod using a 275 when a big fish hit because I had the drag cranked way down going 3.5 knots to stop the creep. Lost the fish too, when two thirds of the rod slid down to the flasher.

I ran Trophy reels for 2 years. The handles popped off and a fde reel seat screws pulled out. Granted at the time I got them when they were cheap for guides at the boat show, but a summer on Swiftsure with rods singing tight on downriggers was too hard on them. Nice and smooth they worked but didnt last in my environment. At what they sell for now if the build quality is the same I would say poor buy.

Back