Trophy Reel Issue

Franko Manini

Folks,

I have three Trophy Tyee QRs and two of them have a strange habit. When the line is running out under drag, either while dropping gear on the rigger or while playing a fish, the drag knob unscrews. This effectively reduces the drag on the reel and inevitably causes a nasty bird's nest. I'm conscious of the issue so I rarely get caught but it's happened to a number of guests on my boat.

The last time it happened I decided to take a closer look at why the drag was loosening, and I can watch the drag know unscrew itself while the line is peeling out. Anyone got a fix for this?

Was an earlier thread on the drag knob tightening and it was attributed to a missing washer. Not sure if it could also cause your issue but worth a look?

It is the top bearing under the spring...if you remove the spring and stick your finger down into the bearing and twist your finger it will feel gritty. The bearing needs to be replaced.

You need to keep that space packed with a good reel grease and keep salt water out of that bearing.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread by any means but I keep seeing posts about issues with a lot of these "premium" mooching reels....

I've been so happy with my Diawa and Shimano mooching reels over the years. I have never had a single issue with them.

I just wonder why these super expensive reels seem to have all these issues.

Just my $.02....

franko when I come out to Alberta ill fix them for you 13 seasons on mine now never had a bearing go unlike some other reel i used. i even tweeked it now so no back lashing will ever occur. see ya in November

franko when I come out to Alberta ill fix them for you 13 seasons on mine now never had a bearing go unlike some other reel i used. i even tweeked it now so no back lashing will ever occur. see ya in November

VERY Generous offer Wolf, but I live in BC, right here in Victoria. I can supply the beers...

Sure frank sounds great...pm when you want to come out for a visit..

friends MR3 was doing the same thing

bearing needs replacing.

Back