Troopers charge guide for overtaking halibut

Sushihunter

http://www.homernews.com/stories/041510/news_tcg.shtml

Story last updated at 11:09 AM on Thursday, April 15, 2010

Troopers charge guide for overtaking halibut

Guide alleged to have 'bucket fished'

By Michael Armstrong
Staff Writer

Alaska Wildlife Troopers last month charged a charter fishing guide with overfishing and waste of halibut. Troopers allege that on a trip last May, Brad A. Fisher, 38, temporarily kept live halibut in a 5-gallon bucket over the two fish a day per angler limit, a practice called "bucket fishing." One client told troopers Fisher kept the fish in case they didn't catch bigger fish. If they caught bigger fish, the small fish would be thrown back. Some halibut were thrown back live, but from three to five were thrown back dead, troopers said in charging documents. Troopers said Fisher kept at least eight halibut in the bucket over the daily limit of 12 for the six clients on his boat.

Fisher also was alleged to have encouraged clients to fish a boat limit, where the total number of halibut is divided among the clients, rather than an individual limit. Troopers said Fisher also took one fish for himself, a violation of Alaska Department of Fish and Game regulations prohibiting charter captains and crew from fishing while clients are on board. In all, Fisher faces charges of illegal possession of fish, waste of fish, overlimit of sport-caught halibut, sport fish guide aiding in commission of violation, false entry in saltwater charter logbook and prohibited retention of fish by sport fishing guide.

Halibut fishing regulations allow fishermen to catch-and-release live halibut if they want to keep fishing in hopes of catching a larger halibut. Fish have to be let loose immediately, and any fish kept onboard count against the two-a-day limit.

Troopers learned of the incident after one of Fisher's clients on a May 31, 2009, trip reported the bucket fishing to a Fish and Game employee in Homer. The client said she and other fishermen wanted to release the small halibut. The Fish and Game employee then told troopers, who later started an investigation.

Trooper Michael Henry interviewed Fisher in February. In charging documents, Henry said at first Fisher denied holding any halibut temporarily, but later admitted he did put halibut in a bucket for no more than 10 minutes.

Fisher was a guide under contract to Catch-a-Lot charters based out of Anchor Point. George Patterson Sr., the owner of Catch-a-Lot, said he ended his contract with Fisher last fall for reasons other than the alleged illegal guiding. The angler who reported the alleged violations to Fish and Game also complained about the trip with Fisher. Patterson said the angler was offered a free charter trip. Neither Fish and Game or troopers told Patterson and his son of alleged violations until this year. Patterson said if he had been told of violations by Fisher he would have suspended Fisher immediately.

A summons on the charges was issued this week. A search of Alaska phone records showed no current listings for a Brad A. Fisher.

Michael Armstrong can be reached at michael.armstrong@homernews.com.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

NO WAYYY!!!! Last year at the ISE show in Salt Lake City we were beside George's son Mike Patterson of Catch-A-Lot Charters, I have his number and email right beside me as I had to double check. WOW...small world. Mike was a good guy and seemed like he was definitely not the type to do this kind of stuff...apparently he went downhill (according to someone he used to contract for) this year after meeting one of those blood suckers...a woman that is :D

Also talked with his Dad, George the owner referred to in this, through email and seemed like a real nice guy...this just makes it more obvious you have to be careful who you hire!!

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

.........Last year at the ISE show in Salt Lake City we were beside George's son Mike Patterson of Catch-A-Lot Charters.............Mike was a good guy and seemed like he was definitely not the type to do this kind of stuff...apparently he went downhill (according to someone he used to contract for) this year after meeting one of those blood suckers...a woman that is :D

Also talked with his Dad, George the owner referred to in this, through email and seemed like a real nice guy...this just makes it more obvious you have to be careful who you hire!!

Just to clear up....am I misreading something in the article? It doesn't state that this was either Patterson (Sr or Jr) that committed the offense...it was a guide named Brad A. Fisher? [?]

Or Serengetti....were you just saying that Mike went a bit "loco" after meeting some chiquita?? ;) [:p]

Nooo...he didn't do it...wasn't implying that either...just saying he went loco recently after meeting the woman!! Apparently didn't show up to dock to take clients out as was partying too hard night before etc. All the hali guys up there mainly do contract work for lodges, so it looks bad on both of him and his contractor.

I fished out of Homer many times in the mid 80's. Not surprised that some hanky panky is still going on there. Guides used to give their clients their limit, in hopes of getting repeat returns. When I left Alaska in 86, the State was starting to crack down on this practice. Halibut fishing was very good just a short run out of Homer harbour, so there is no need for this bucket method.[B)]....BB

I think they should have charged the guide for keeping undersized fish. If I was a paying customer and caught eight halibut that could fit in a five gallon bucket I would be asking a lot of questions. You would have a hard time fitting eight perch in a five gallon bucket let alone eight halibut. Maybe they were flounders

How does one go about keeping a Halibut in a 5-gallon bucket?

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by TenMile

How does one go about keeping a Halibut in a 5-gallon bucket?

TenMile
<'((((><

LOL... I was wondering that myself.... too funny. I figure if it fits in a 5 gal. bucket its too small to keep anyways.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Whoop de do. This in only one little story. There's illegal BS like this going on all over the BC Coast, shellfish, salmon, you name it. DFO doesn't really understand the magnitude of this problem since they're not out there enforcing the regulations and policing the problem on a scale large enough to sample the size of the problem. Industry "pros", lodge operators, average ordinary Joes are out there doing the same thing and much worse. For those denying there is a problem like this, they're naive.

After coming in from a day of fishing or hanging out at one of the local launches having a coffee on the days I don't get out fishing I've seen many people call small Chinooks "Pinks", etc.

DFO is a total dinosaur of an operation unable to enforce or police it's own directives.

'Troopers said Fisher kept at least eight halibut in the bucket over the daily limit of 12 for the six clients on his boat'.

I think this means in total he had 8 Halibut over the limit of 12 but they weren't all there in the bucket at the same moment.
Either way as said before 1 Halibut wouldn't fit in a 5 gal bucket - must be a typo. 50 gallon 'bucket', maybe.

quote:Originally posted by holmes

does it really matter the size?..the fish will go crazy...lol.cant be a bucket...holmes*

Absolutely.... size does matter ;) (she's just not tell'in ya the truth) lol
true, they would be going crazy but at least they might fit !!

quote:Originally posted by holmes

does it really matter the size?..the fish will go crazy...lol.cant be a bucket...holmes*

Absolutely.... size does matter ;) (she's just not tell'in ya the truth) lol
true, they would be going crazy but at least they might fit !!

That is Bizarre ,

"Bucket" must mean Fish Well or Tied off in the water , somthing along those lines , that can't be possible , perhaps 50 Gallon Barrel
lol.... somthing not right here....

As far sporties bending rules , over fishing , over limits etc.. it's up to us Sporties to try and report them , don't let em get away with it , our future generation will be the one's to feel the affects... m2b

FD

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Back