Trolling Speeds

M

Mikiki

Maybe some of you avid fisherpeople can give me some clues as to what speed you should be trolling for specific species of salmon. I have been trolling around 1.8 to 2 mph looking for springs. Am I close? Anyway thanks for your help.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

I would say you are in the ball park... That being said you still have to work with the tides and you're gear... That meaning watch the end of you're rod for action you should see some movement from you're flasher if not I don't care what speed you are going,, if the lure is not working then it's just that,,, the lure is not working. It is a tricky place between a lure running to fast and lure working with the tide and moving enough to entice more fish to spot you're lure and chase it,,or the one's that have to find other lure's on their own.. And with all the other baits running out there it comes down to who has the better presentation... That is what seperates us slugs from the GOOD charter boy's out there that have er dialed down.

But I will tell you this,,, you are better off to start slow and work you're way up... Say 1.8 knts to 2.2 knts and see where they want to bite... I will just about guarantee you will catch any west coast species running these numbers...

I've always tried to troll at 3-3.5mph. It depends lots on a number of factors however, for example if the tide is running at 2 mph your gear will work differently each direction. Then theres the wind factor... I usually just try to keep the line on my downrigger at the same angle no matter where I go or whatever conditons I meet. It may take alot of speeding up and slowing down to keep the angle just right, but it seems to pay off for me. Quite often if you get right tuned in you can actually hear the wire line traveling through the water and can adjust your speed to get the proper pitch of the sound. I have actually heard many fish hit and when they do it changes the pitch of the humm as well, until they trip off the downrigger.

Is there an aftermarket product to fine tune the trolling speed? I have lots of trouble with my Yammi 9.9, either too fast or too slow.

I agree on watching the angle of your downrigger for proper speed. you have to remember the speed of the water under your boat is a lot different the speed your GPS is giving off.

That being said, 3.5mph seems way to fast for me - how on earth do you get a decent roll out of anchovy when you are moving that fast?

Big springs are lazy and like slow moving bait - thats why cut plug consistantly pulls bigger fish then say a spoon.

I can get a dead stick at 3.5 mph.. it all depends how u rig ur anchovie. at 3.5 mph I like to get about 1 roll per second or so. You can troll any gear at that speed too. Spoons and plugs work better at this speed than say 1-2 mph. I don't know exactly how fast a salmon can swim, but its faster than 3mph.

For sockeye though I hardly move. Maybe 1-1.5 mph.

quote:Originally posted by coriba

Is there an aftermarket product to fine tune the trolling speed? I have lots of trouble with my Yammi 9.9, either too fast or too slow.

Well like the great Charlie White once said "Its better to troll too fast then too slow" [^]

I had the same problem for yrs with my dad's 15 hp johnson. I'm not aware of anything on the market to help other than maybe a small sea anchor or maybe towing a pail behind the boat. Both ways are problems waiting to happen as far as I am concerned. It might be drastic but changing motors should help. Then again you might find you still have the same problem.

What I did when I first started out was to get an Abe & Al flasher put it out with about 6 oz of weight and adjust my speed till it had a steady pulse,pulse,pulse on the rod tip,too slow and it would flutter on the tip.Too fast and it would really pull,from there I learned how the speed of the tides and drift of the boat affected the pull of the flasher,once I had that in my head,I had a baseline too work from, I converted it to the angle of my downrigger wire,I totally ignore the gps speed you could be moving sideways,or backwards, also don't copy what the other boats are doing,half the guys out there are just driving around.DAN

quote:Originally posted by danthewire

also don't copy what the other boats are doing,half the guys out there are just driving around.DAN

That is so funny... but true.

quote:Originally posted by coriba

Hey Coriba, I made one that fits on the arm and tightens down on the throttle grip. May look a little primative, but it sure keeps the speed constant. I have a 9.9 Suzuki, and the clamp that is built in broke and the part is backordered so made one, maybe I will patent it:D
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Just would like to say thanks to all of you who contrbuted. I will try and use the tecniques that you have suggested.
See you on the water[8D]
Mikiki

Back