trolling speed

pescador

My usual fishing grounds are in the Beechy Head area. Often at the Head, water can be moving 5 plus knots depending on the tide change. I hear from some people one should fish either with the movement of the tide or across it, but, never against it. Sometimes I see myself sitting in the same spot for a long period of time, but, others are doing the same thing. I wonder whether I need to speed up to what I would normally consider too fast a speed, or, just turn around and go with or across the tide? What's more productive?

Matador

I've found more success when trolling with the current than against. Not specifically at Beechy Head, just in general.

you're probably better off to run up to the trap shack and troll
back with the tide.(on a flood)
At least you're covering some water.
Fish are lazy, they will go with it as well.

Used to love fishing of the head and "crab walk " especially near that gorge.
I personally dont like to just sit there but as long as I can move a bit is fine be it sheringham pt, otter, sec, or possesion i dont like going with the current as for you to make sure your gear is spinning you have to troll a lot faster so you go fast one way.

Use otter for instance takes you 45 mins to troll all the way to 3rd rock then 5 mins to turn around and redo the tact again I get way more fish trolling into the current than going with as then im able to sit on a reef or structure longer where they are forced to funnel past better chances!!!

But thats just me.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I'd say don't get it in your head that you need to go one direction - with, against and sideways will all catch fish.

I've gotten fish just holding position in "the gap" between secretary island and VI, so its not always a bad thing.

You can also try a zig zag tack into the current, this may help you get some forward movement if running straight into the current isn't working.

you can even back troll your gear across the head if its running crazy fast.

quote:You can also try a zig zag tack into the current, this may help you get some forward movement if running straight into the current isn't working.

Thats what we call crab walking its a great way to catch fish IF you have the space to do it and not alot of boats around you.

just like the reef in front of trap shack a lot of fish are nabbed there as they are funneled past there and im sure they look up and go mmmmm lunch then your gone pushed back to run up and do it all over again LOL LOL GOOD TIMES

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Thats what we call crab walking its a great way to catch fish IF you have the space to do it and not alot of boats around you.

well now I know what to call it - but come on wolf, you know the old guide trick of just looking away as you get close to other boats and force them to move out of the way [:p]

I get most of my fish trolling into the tide the faster the tide the better, just keep uping your speed so you sit still or just move.When iwas a young lad just starting out someone told me you can never go to fast but you can go to slow isn't that rite bee.

Just set up where you want to fish for example i sit in 85ft of water rite off the trap reef and i'll sit there until i catch a fish just because the water is doing 5knts up to doesn't mean there won't be a fish on the drop off side of the reef.

i hit most of my fish heading in too the tide as well, not many going with, heading into the flood i find more productive than the ebb as well, i havent had as much luck just sitting in the flood, as long as i am moving foward or even a bit sideways when there is room seems to work for me

I prefer going against the tide - that way you can hang over the reefs and get much close to structure without much worry of getting hung up.

Plus the fish have more time to see your gear and decide to attack it. I think anyone would agree, the longer you stare at a steak, the hungrier you get!

Captain Dudds

Go with the tide from discovery island to race rocks. From race rocks to Muir creek going against the tide is probably more productive (March until Sept). Just my experience thanks.

quote:Go with the tide from discovery island to race rocks. From race rocks to Muir creek going against the tide is probably more productive (March until Sept).

bee, any theory as to why?

that just seems to be how it is. your boat doesnt have to be moving, when fighting tide your gear is spinning like crazy just sitting there waiting for the biggy to go byand chomp it.

So if your trolling into a 5 knot tide, and moving ahead, that likely means your moving 6-7 knots through the water. That's potentially 8 miles per hour. Your gear has to be rotating at a pretty high rate. I have always felt that is too fast, in particular for large Springs. Based on the responses here, (which are quite varied), some of you feel that rate of speed is ok. Thanks for the input, this is helpful as it shows me that we all seem to have different views/approachs but obviously find success in our own way.

Matador

in reality your boat doesnt move forward at 2 knots in a 5 not tide it usually rocks slightly back and forth or up and down with water movement which will impart a pulsing action on your gearthis was easy to see when using roller rods and 2lb weight with steel line. quite often you will get pushed backwardso gear slows to a stop. youmust watch line from tangling in prop

i tend to catch more fish trolling into the current flow. speed? i listen to the wire! once you hear the wire song, you will have the speed correct.

Wow.. there are some very interesting responses to this question, and frankly goes against the general rule of trolling.

With that... I can't picture an active fish in more the 4kts of current. Most fish would be hunkered down face first along the bottom avoiding the current and not expending the extra effort or energy capturing a meal or two. They simply wait for the slack tides to feed.

I can understand trolling/holding over structure and it simply sounds effective... However, I am all for covering water- the more the merrier. With a fish face first into the current and gear travelling the opposite direction, I'll give the "him" the choice of hitting the bait or not. More than likely, "he's" not going to pass up a meal. If so, there always the next fish!

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

really 4kts is nothing for a streamlined chinook to swim through, if they are hungry a fast current isn't going to slow them down.

Also ocean currents aren't as simple as flood and ebb, you have all sorts of other currents and eddys going on down there. The current at the bottom could be going the other direction.

I believe the whole "fish sit facing the current" is a myth if fish just sit facing the current why do we get big pushes of fish into the area on large flood tides? They must swim with the current sometimes, unless they back into the area[?]

Thats my take on it anyways.

Back