Trolling for Halibut

Here's one on the Island and one in Langley.
Great post as usual Nog.
Ucluelet

Cap’n Hook Shop

#4-1920 Lyche Rd

250–726–4000

Langley

Galilee Fly and Tackle

#6 20555 56th Ave

Great post as usual Nog.

Thanks Labman. :)

Forgot to note:

We never did encounter even a single salmon with this rig. Perhaps a little too large? As a consequence, I usually ran them with barbed hooks.

The over-sized treble almost always hooked them in the lips. Great holding strength despite being a treble. Bonus was it was rather easy to release the few smaller ones encountered due to the hook placement.

Cheers,
Nog

River2Sea has discontinued the Arrow T series of squid lures and don't even have any more of them laying around their offices in cupboards or broom closets.

Last edited by a moderator:
River2Sea has discontinued them and don't even have any more of them laying around their offices.

CRAP!!! :(

Figures. Too bloody often I find something that works, and works WELL, only to have the damn thing discontinued...

Guess I'll be tying the ones I have on hand up with HEAVY leaders...

Bummed,
Nog

Yeah, I actually called them. Apparently the web page you shared shouldn't even be there.

The guy I spoke to said, "yeah, those were pretty cool lures, but for some reason they didn't really catch on..."

Yup, tried to order 1/2 doz. of each size in 06 and 03, every time it went to PayPal, I got an error message. Sent them an email, they never got back to me.

Yup, tried to order 1/2 doz. of each size in 06 and 03, every time it went to PayPal, I got an error message. Sent them an email, they never got back to me.

I did the same and an 'error' message indicated that PayPal did not recognize tha site......

SS

I did the same and an 'error' message indicated that PayPal did not recognize tha site......

SS

PayPal works fine for the other products on the site, which told me that they probably weren't selling the squid lures anymore. I called them to confirm that suspicion.

i just bought 5 x 5" glow squid off the ebay guy, should be good for springs offshore. i cant get the tackle site (last link) to check out properly on the larger ones.
trying to find some 5" calamari color ones for springs too.

ALSO: there swim baits look pretty awesome with the 1 or 2 hinges along the body so the tail actually swims.

Get the River2Sea squids while you can. They're out of stock now at several sites, and once they're gone they're gone and we search for other squid alternatives.

Would you say the smaller versions of the T-arrow squids can be run with our without flashers?

Without. Too much drag for a flasher. If you feel the need, a dummy below should suffice.
I didn't find the smaller one to be overly productive. It had a nasty habit of latching onto pretty much anything down there it swam by. The larger one appeared to intimidate rockfish etc, as there were damn few (almost none) in the way of by-catch.

Nice Find nedarb!! Ordering today!! Thanks! :)

Cheers,
Nog

I am going to run them mostly up around the nanaimo area anyways..on the back side of gabriola where there is a few hali's but not many. Could be a fun lure to throw down to go pretty much after anything in between tides waiting for salmon to bite. I assume the smaller ones can be run on Salmon gear as well?

Those Squidlures look interesting. I just ordered a couple of the 10" FAT Squids so we'll see how they work.

When you`re trolling for halibut, do you have to go too slow to fish for salmon on the other rod, or do you fish both rods for halibut?

When you`re trolling for halibut, do you have to go too slow to fish for salmon on the other rod, or do you fish both rods for halibut?

Nope-- you can run a large spoon or plug on the bottom for butts and a standard salmon flasher/ chovie on the other downrigger. Its a compromise but butts will chase ... A lot of butts are taken off the bottom on salmon gear every year

Back