troll rig vs, depth

D

dangme

Can anyone tell me if there is a formula that tells how deep your trolling rig is in relation to the amount of line let out? I usually troll with a set of mid size flashers (5) followed by a leader and spinner or spoon. Any help would be appreciated, thanks,Dangme.

quote:Originally posted by dangme

Can anyone tell me if there is a formula that tells how deep your trolling rig is in relation to the amount of line let out? I usually troll with a set of mid size flashers (5) followed by a leader and spinner or spoon. Any help would be appreciated, thanks,Dangme.

You're referring to gang trolls? My experience has been that they will only go just so deep. Beyond about 40 -50 feet they are only going further behind the boat. The depth is dependent primarily on boat speed and size / weight of the troll.

I fished trolls for years: Ford Fender, willow leaf, big hammer, and a single variety Cowichan Spoon. I gave them up fishing for trout a few years ago (Vancouver Island) and opted for Rapalas, Tomic plugs, and other trolled lures. They will catch at least as many fish as the trolls and will consistently catch larger fish. I like to fish these well behind the boat (over 100') with 2 - 3 lines in the water.

Good luck.

Back