Trawl Fishery

I'd really like to see the DNA of the chinook stocks they are intercepting. With us being regulated to the tits to avoid stocks of concern it would be a shame to find out that they are intercepting stocks of concern.

Attachments

• Groundfish salmon bycatch Feb2021.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
I'd really like to see the DNA of the chinook stocks they are intercepting. With us being regulated to the tits to avoid stocks of concern it would be a shame to find out that they are intercepting stocks of concern.
Good point
Do you really think DFO are interested in doing DNA testing to find out that important information.
They might find out something they don't want to be made public.
Then again, if they did testing, the Trawlers might just quickly throw the by catch over the side as they do now, as it might be in their best interest to avoid the facts OR maybe if they co operated with testing they would find out they are not part of the overall problem.
With Covid, I don't think there are any observers on board?
Same ole same ole with DFO.
Sorry to be so suspicious, but you do know how I got their with DFO....eh

I would bet money that a significant percentage of the chinook taken off WCVI as by-catch by the hake fleet is Columbia River bound fish.

I was an observer for several years on both the pollock trawl fleet in the Bering Sea and Gukf of Alaska and the Russian hake trawl fleet off the coast of Oregon and Washington . I saw significant bycatch of chinook in both those fisheries. Chinook migrate in the top 20 meters of the water column....mid-water trawl nets as used by both the pollock and hake fleet get the bycatch on the way down (when the net is first deployed) then on the way up. The chinook are very beat-up once they hit the deck.

I’m amazed there isn’t 100% obserever coverage on the hake fleet...can someone confirm that’s the case???

There was a period in 2005 - 2010 or so when large numbers of 25-45 LB white Chinook were caught late July - early August offshore Ucluelet; primarily feeding on Sardines. After they disappeared I Iheard the Trawlers were getting them along with Sardines 40 mile offshore down 400 feet.

Up in AK the Trawlers hit the Chinook hard.
The chinook are very beat-up once they hit the deck.
I have trolled Salmon around some draggers off Ucluelet a while back - unbelievably LARGE mass of floating dead fish behind the boats. All fisheries are dirty, but IMO the draggers are the dirtiest.

Why DFO still allows this environmentally destructive and unsustainable type of fishery shows it's incompetence and failure to protect Canada's fisheries. Especially when only 7 other countries in the world still use this harmful mode of fishing. Need to push DFO to ban this and soon!

Years back I read where on the US Gulf coast the Shrimp dragger's caught 100 pounds of by catch (mainly juvenile Tuna/etc) for every pound of Shrimp.

Sorry for the essay but I’ve discussed this topic in length many times over and have seen both sides of the story/equation on this one.

I actually worked on a dragger (the Viking Enterprise) for 6 months back when I was 20, here is what I observed. We had a fisheries observer on board the entire time, but that was likely due to the size of the ship. I am not in favor of this kind of fishery, in our waters it is generally going to be unsustainable in my opinion, that being said it will likely remain as it has around the rest of the world so its better to put pressure on the system to become more effective and sustainable, than to try and outright shut it down.

We were targeting Hake, Arrowtooth flounder and Pollock, but we had quotas for other groundfish to maximize profitability and minimize bycatch. This included most Shelf and Slope rockfish species and sablefish

The amount of bycatch can vary widely, and this was also notable when the captains changed out on trips, one would get very little to insignificant bycatch while the other pulled up a net of only bycatch. As an example while fishing midwater trawl off the north end for pollock, the first captain filled the boat (500,000lbs) with pollock in less than a week, with only about 2 fish totes of mixed bycatch. The next captain hauled the net 3 times full of spiny dogfish (80,000 lbs to a net) which were all discarded as bycatch, most of which were dead or would die soon after. And we had to return to port for fuel and unload after two weeks with the boat less than half full.

The bottom trawls are a different story, and in my opinion should not be allowed whatsoever for any species on the pacific coast. The bottom trawls or actual dragging, were targeting Arrowtooth flounder, which in all practical cases are INEDIBLE!! Why we eve bother to fish for these is beyond reason. They literally dissolve when you try to cook them, they don’t taste good and are generally laden with parasites. Now although the bycatch generally increased it wasn’t like an amazing jump in percentage, maybe a jump of 3-5% as a best guess, however now the bycatch included skates, halibut, sharks, sculpins, chimaera, sablefish, all kinds of rockfish, nearly anything that lived near bottom. Not to mention these rip up the bottom and smash all sorts of organisms into oblivion. There was less variation in catch makeup when captains switched for this fishery.

Now on the subject of Chinook and Salmon in general, these were a rare sight when we were fishing, it was probably the least common bycatch for us. And this was to a point that when a chinook hit the deck for the first time I was on board, the bosun RAN to get the fisheries observer, mainly because he wanted it for the dinner, which is not allowed but most observers let the crews eat the fish they bring up for dinner on the boat if they want to, which may total half a dozen fish over two weeks. It really was not as common as you would expect if you look at the numbers in that report the total catch is greater than 100 million Kg, so to make the math easy lets just say and even 100. The total bycatch of chinook is 117,102 kg so lest round it to 117k. that means the overall bycatch of chinook is 0.001% of the landed catch. Or for every 1000 fish caught there would be 1 chinook statistically is seem irrelevant HOWEVER, the total 2019 chinook salmon commercial retention was 117,593 fish (not kilograms, actual individual fish) and if we say the average chinook weighed an average of 7kg (probably a bit low) that would total 825,659 kg of fish. Compare that to the total bycatch and you can see how this is a problem. There is a solution and it would involve Human intervention, the sounders on these boats are very good, the fish they target inhabit very specific zones in the water column. It would take the willingness of the vessel owners and operators to watch for potentially vulnerable species inhabiting shallower waters when setting or hauling the trawls and make shifts to avoid them if possible. Also running smaller trawls and hauling them more frequently could lower the mortality rate of bycatch. Possibly even have a small recovery tank on board for species such as salmon which are robust enough and don’t have swim bladder issues, and given a chance can recover and be released.

There are a few problems in general for this fishery in general, first bycatch retention for the most part is not allowed, most European countries allow for full bycatch retention which makes sense since anything returned to the ocean after this kind of netting will likely die. Then there needs to be a change to the quota system to account for these bycatch retentions that would assign a premium tonnage to the bycatch to act as a sort of penalty, this dissuades captains intentionally targeting more profitable bycatch. This way the boats can make a profit and the fish doesn’t go to waste.

We also need to really look at the profitability vs environmental damage in regard to all fisheries not just exclusively at trawling. However Dragging should be near the top of the list as we all know most of the populations of groundfish can be overfished very rapidly. This may require the elimination of large trawlers as they can scoop up an entire school of fish which effectively eliminates that run and genetic diversity.

Reallocation of government funds are in all honesty very necessary, The DFO does what they can with what they have. We all know there is a major lack of oversight of both commercial and recreational fisheries, I have not once in my life (38 years of it) been stopped and had someone check for a license or check my catch. They simply don’t have resources to hire people to do continuous and comprehensive studies and monitor impacts and populations accurately, nor have the finances to hire enough enforcement officers to make any difference.

2019 salmon retention data

Why DFO still allows this environmentally destructive and unsustainable type of fishery shows it's incompetence and failure to protect Canada's fisheries. Especially when only 7 other countries in the world still use this harmful mode of fishing. Need to push DFO to ban this and soon!
I’m interested to know where you found that information? I’m pretty certain that is wholly incorrect, there are far more than 7 countries that still allow trawling that I am certain of, and once you hit international waters you are in a whole new set of vastly unregulated fishing. If you want to bring the fight to the masses to save the salmon population you need to be exactly on point with facts and figures, that is one of the huge problems you will face, the lack of accurate facts and figures.

I agree it needs to end, but the DFO has never had the funding its needed to provide competent oversight or research. You are acting as though the DFO is a single entity or person, when the truth is its made up of a bunch of administrative staff and a few very dedicated people with honest and fair agendas, which is subject to the demands of the commercial fishers just as they are subject to the recreational fishermen and anyone for that matter, including government mandates set by political agendas of the party in power.

Shouting out and throwing insults in an internet forum wont bring the masses in to support your cause, you need to get a mass majority to speak up against it which includes non-stake holding citizens. The way to do this is start petitions, get them certified, bring it to court with other fisheries stakeholders, make an actual challenge out of it, not just gripe about it online or to your buddies.

In Highschool I would regularly organize stream clean ups, and partnered with groups like Salmon In The City, to make sure the junk could be disposed of, to make sure we were not displacing silt and gravels at the wrong time of year and it was very successful. If you feel so passionate about this and want it eliminated then start the petition put some legwork in and get the movement going, involve all your local MP’s to get it put on the agenda of the party.

If you feel so passionate about this and want it eliminated then start the petition put some legwork in and get the movement going, involve all your local MP’s to get it put on the agenda of the party.

Most of the people that make comments on this forum are already hugely involved in community projects like the one you speak of.

Most of the people that make comments on this forum are already hugely involved in community projects like the one you speak of.
thats fantiasic, but if we want this to change it needs to step out of the community setting and be brought up nationwide. make it a political priotity, like lobster fishing is on the east coast.

A simple way to start getting the word out is do what many movements do and get a change.org petition going, get it on all social media platforms, get millions of signatures and prove that it can be a polical benefit to make changes.

Ive seen plenty of people complain about the state of the fisheries on multiple platforms, so lets start getting everyone together on it! I am all for community projects and what people may already be doing, but if there is sincerity in wanting change then there has to be more involvement and more politicization

Last edited:
Back