Traps left behind

Here's an anecdote on those Interstate batteries: when I was younger man we had a highschool campout where my little B2200 served as the stereo for the night. We called it a night after the CD player shut down due to a low battery. I turned the key and it was indeed dead. C'est la vie and we'd deal with it in the AM. We slept it off an in the AM cleaned up and prepared to leave. Before we hooked up the jumpers I tried the starter and the truck fired right up...

Good ol deep cycle batteries.

Here's an anecdote on those Interstate batteries: when I was younger man we had a highschool campout where my little B2200 served as the stereo for the night. We called it a night after the CD player shut down due to a low battery. I turned the key and it was indeed dead. C'est la vie and we'd deal with it in the AM. We slept it off an in the AM cleaned up and prepared to leave. Before we hooked up the jumpers I tried the starter and the truck fired right up...

Good ol deep cycle batteries.
Same,same. Wife called me from town one day. Left the lights on in the truck and killed the Interstate battery while she was shopping. Told her shut everything off and wait 15-20 minutes. Sure enough it fired up and saved me a trip to town.

Same, but I have the GB70 2000A model. One charge before it goes in the water and another mid season keeps it topped up.

(Wife made me get one after running the battery down in the lake boat drifting around listening to tunes about 12 miles from camp)
You’ll definitely want the GB70 if you ever want to jump a diesel truck. I found that out the hard way.

I see several others have the noco jump packs, how many people have actually used them for starting? I bought the smallest one for my 70hp 2 stroke but it did not have enough oomph for starting with a completely flat battery.

I’ve used them for various vehicles a dozen times, and my boat once. One thing to note about these (also applies to smart chargers) is that they will not even attempt to jump a battery that has fallen below a cutoff voltage, I think it is 9v. In this case you need a battery to battery jump or an old school dumb charger that will give it a go anyway, and probably succeed. My wife’s RAV4 wouldn’t jump or charge with my nocos, but jumped with the cables and is still working fine. They should really update their software to attempt jumps and charging regardless of the battery voltage.

I’ve used them for various vehicles a dozen times, and my boat once. One thing to note about these (also applies to smart chargers) is that they will not even attempt to jump a battery that has fallen below a cutoff voltage, I think it is 9v. In this case you need a battery to battery jump or an old school dumb charger that will give it a go anyway, and probably succeed. My wife’s RAV4 wouldn’t jump or charge with my nocos, but jumped with the cables and is still working fine. They should really update their software to attempt jumps and charging regardless of the battery voltage.
They have (or at least mine does - Noco GB40) an override mode that shuts off the circuit protection and delivers power even if the jumper senses 0 potential across the leads. I once had a battery connection go bad, and I clipped the jumper pack right to my starter on my outboard which got the boat running so I could get it back on the trailer. You have to be careful, because if you touch the leads together in that mode you’ll cook the jumper pack. For more info, you can read the friendly manual which explains this.

Last edited:
I have one of the mastercraft ones. I didn't buy it, came in a vehicle we got but has started everything shy of my 7.3 power stroke (haven't had to). There's an override button if battery voltage is too low which is often when it's needed. Cheap when it's on sale as you all must know to not ever pay full price at Canadian Tire unless you absolutely need it.

I have one of the mastercraft ones. I didn't buy it, came in a vehicle we got but has started everything shy of my 7.3 power stroke (haven't had to). There's an override button if battery voltage is too low which is often when it's needed. Cheap when it's on sale as you all must know to not ever pay full price at Canadian Tire unless you absolutely need it.
Theres a YouTube video showing a list of dead vehicles being started, and that override or boost button seems to help when needed.

I have one of the Mastercraft jump packs - just one of the basic mid-grade ones.

Funny story, my truck died in a parking lot a block away from Canadian Tire. Bought a jump pack, and it started my Toyota 4.7 with just two bars left on the jump pack factory charge. Since then, I keep it in the truck during the winter, and then transfer the jump pack over to the boat in the summer. You get to be a hero at the ramp - has jumped a Mastercraft ski boat with a 350 V8 as well.

My boat has a dual battery setup, but batteries are closing in on 5 years and the jump pack is great peace of mind.

One thing I like about the jump packs is that because the leads are so short there isn't much/any voltage drop and everything is nice/compact. A lot of recent jumper cables are absolute junk, such thin wire gauge and terrible connections that they have a ton of voltage drop. My brother bought a set of jumper cables from Canadian tire and they couldn't jump anything - jump pack, was no problem.

........... as you all must know to not ever pay full price at Canadian Tire unless you absolutely need it.

My brother is a retired dealer. When the best quality Mastercraft tools are on the big sale discount (60% or more off) the tools are being sold under dealer cost aka "a loss leader."

His other advice was keep a binder or folder in your shop with all your receipts for the lifetime warrranty stuff that you buy. He liked to tell me about the farmers who would show up with a 20 or 30 year old Mastercraft product at his stor with the original receipt Often the former dealer had sold the drill, it didn't matter.

He told the service staff to immediatley call him to the desk when a tool warranty occurred . He said it gave him great pleasure to take the customer over to the wall of new products and ask them what drill would they like in exchange. He didn't care what drill they picked, becasue he knew the value of good customer service.

As he told me "a Customer for Life" is the best customer.

His first stores were small ones in more rural areas and in the days before Sunday shopping a lot of farmers had his home number and would call him if they needed something and he would open up his store for them.

Last edited:
Back