Transporting Salmon Long Distances... Europe

the fog ducker

Hey guys

well , heading ta europe soon , I'd like ta have a 20lb Salmon taken with us ,
Surprise for My Aunts 50th Wedding anniversary , gonna say it will be 14-16 hrs from door ta door arrival ,
first question , are we allowed to transport fish legally to another country ( Croatia ), second , is it possible to package this to last the travel duration ? its ok if its defrosted mostly on arrival , as long as its still cold , will eat it right away !!! hoping theres sometime of insulation rap that can be applied , and put into a pretty empty.. large suitcase ??
i here its fairly cool in the cargo compartment , my guess is that there is a way !..anyways , hoping there may be a lodge or guide outfit that has dealt with this..

any info would be appreciated , thx fellas

fd

Here is the information from EU on importation of fish products:

For fishery products (including fish and certain shellfish such as prawns, lobsters, dead mussels and dead oysters), travellers are allowed to bring in up to 20 kilograms or the weight of one fish if this is higher. However, there is no such weight restriction for travellers coming from the Faeroe Islands or Iceland.

Croatia follows EU customs regs. Here is the link to above information: http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/animalproducts/personal_imports/index_en.htm

Check with your airline regarding use of dry ice with fish in sytrofoam container for flight, and labelling requirements

You'd most likely have to ship with dry ice, as westcap stated, or the fish might spoil. Last time I shipped with dry ice, it is a dangerous good. It would need to have appropriate DG labelling and packaging as per IATA standards. You would need it packaged by someone who holds their TDG by air certificate. Shipment would probably cost $100 or more to package for transport. Give Jesse at Upward packaging a call. He does all our DG shipping. 604-215-1545. He would be able to tell you all the regulations around shipping stuff like that. I would also call the airline and see what they recommend. I've only shipped with FedEx, so never tried to check anything like that with an airline. Sometimes there is only a certain amount of dangerous goods allowed on passenger flights. If your package is not pre-booked, there is a chance the fish wouldn't make it on your flight.

If you are sure you will make it in 16hrs and you don't want to jump through the hoops and it's going in your personal suitcase-plus you don't mind it a little thawed. Make sure it is hard frozen, wrap it in many sheets of newspaper or the Styrofoam wrap -place in one of those heavy plastic fish keeper bags you get in the roll and it will last well beyond 16 hrs. If they lose your suitcases, you're toast. Take extra tape and an extra plastic bag with you in case they want to open the suitcase and unwrap the fish. Dry ice will cause you problems with the airlines. I would not say a word about it. The reason the airlines are so paranoid about fish or other things liquid or frozen-if they thaw and there is leakage of any liquids in the hold then there is a ton of inspections of wiring, flushing etc. etc. has to take place. Inside a suitcase, wrapped in plastic unlikely the airline would say anything or even look-security might be the one who will look at it(they won't take it-not their mandate) hence the need might arise to rewrap. As a former pilot and carrier of salmon to Saudi Arabia-many times, that's what I did. Never any trouble over a 9 year period!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't believe I would go through the hassle of the Dangerous Goods aspect myself...

When thawing whole (gutted) springs to smoke, it often takes 8 to 10 hours for them to thaw completely when unwrapped and sitting in my cool room (a tad cooler than house temperature). I would suggest that one vacuum sealed and well insulated would last the difference you are looking at... You are correct in that the cargo department is rather cool.

Here is what I would suggest:

- Ensure the fish is vacuum sealed and WELL frozen
- Tightly Wrap in an inexpensive survival blanket ( http://www.gofastandlight.com/Pocke...val-Space-Mylar-Blanket/productinfo/SU-R1032/ )
- Wrap several layers of newspaper over that, and can add another survival blanket over-top for more protection.
- Vacuum seal the entire lot again at this point.
- Acquire one of the small Styrofoam coolers (needs to have the cardboard exterior to air ship)
- Put the wrapped fish into the cooler, and fill the excess space around it tightly with Styrofoam packing peanuts (available at most big box stores for free)
- Wrap the cooler well with packing tape paying attention to all seals.

Had a Buddy who took a couple back to Germany this summer in just that fashion. Took 14 hours, and the fish were still partially frozen upon arrival.

Good Luck & Have A BLAST over in Croatia!!

Cheers,
Nog

fish in sytrofoam container for flight, and labelling requirements

Hey Ducker....

When we have my buddy from Smithers come down to fish Tofino his fish in a Styrofoam cooler AND one of the cardboard boxes stays pretty much frozen. That is from picking it up in Tofino say around 9am....drive back to Vancouver and last time he stayed over night and not home in Smithers til about 1pm the next day; ~28 hours later with not much problem. If you can just get in a cooler with cardboard.....and just make your own ice packs out of ziplocks I would be you'll be fine for 16 hours no problem.

On a side note.....when you going? I am going for a "sail" off the coast of Turkey from Oct 5-13th.....on a wee little 120ft sailboat. :D

OOoops.....I see Nog was typing as I was. Do what he said. :p

Layers and layers of news papers then into a strong fish bag. Place into center of luggage and it will still be solid the next day.

thx guys , gonna call the airline , and pack er up like nogg suggested makes good sense ....
hope for the best , if they decide ta open it , they can keep it lol , not worth the headache of re-wrapping...

skippering for my firefighter pals on the 27th Derby... here in Van Pippen...leave on the 28th ,
REEL RED EYE lol...

later

fd

Layers and layers of news papers then into a strong fish bag. Place into center of luggage and it will still be solid the next day.

Yes this is good advice. It will be cool in the cargo section of the plane while at altitude.
My mom used to wrap a couple of frozen sox in towels tightly, put in the deep freeze to cool whole package, then put it in the middle of the largest suitcase.
Worked every time for over a decade.

Gong Show

Hello

I went to Europe(Italy) last year in August , and brought back spotted prawns tail, salmon and halibut.
Everything was vacuum packed and frozen . I use a large fish shipping box with Styrofoam inside a cardboard box and 5 lbs dry ice
Checked-in and reported that it was frozen fish with dry ice .They made me fill up a document and that was it
went as baggage .24 hours later I landed in Sardinia an everything was still frozen solid .My brothers and sister still talked about every time
we phone ,they really enjoyed
Good luck

Primo

so what, you wanna smuggle some of our Canaidian salmon and tuna to Croatia,,, jee wiz typical Croat.. Kudrats call me

Pretty standard for most airlines. 2. 5 lbs dry ice, sign a declaration, pack in cooler with venting. Iceco use to styrofoam coolers in a cardboard box to airline standards for max size.

From air canada's web site.

Dry ice:

Dry ice is often used in the packaging of perishable items (i.e.fish, seafood) to keep them cool.

Items packed in dry ice are accepted in carry-on or checked baggageprovided they are properly wrapped/packed to protect against leakage, then placed in a box,carton or container that:

is properly vented to allow for the releaseof carbon dioxide gas,
is in good condition and free of any damage.
Dry ice must not exceed 2.5 kg (5 lbs) in weight (total weight of 2.5 kg is for carry-on baggageand checked baggage combined per passenger).

Checked baggage restrictions:
Passengers travelling with a dry ice containeras checkedbaggage must:
arrive at the airport at least one hourprior to departure to allow for properhandling of dry ice, and
sign a declaration form that certifiesthat the package is in good conditionand provides a description of contents.

Back