Transom saver?

Question for folks - I have a Double eagle 185 with a Suzuki DF140 and a Yamaha 9.9 that I recently bought. I'm looking to take it in to get serviced which means a ferry ride and about 25km of a mix of highway and rural driving (paved). I don't have a transom saver (yet) and am wondering if I should be worried about towing it without one? Manual suggest I need one and I plan to pick one up but I need to get to town first. I've read mixed reviews about the need for one. Any red flags of making the trip without one and relying on the hydraulics to keep the motor raised? I know you're not supposed to use the tilt bracket.
Thanks!

Question for folks - I have a Double eagle 185 with a Suzuki DF140 and a Yamaha 9.9 that I recently bought. I'm looking to take it in to get serviced which means a ferry ride and about 25km of a mix of highway and rural driving (paved). I don't have a transom saver (yet) and am wondering if I should be worried about towing it without one? Manual suggest I need one and I plan to pick one up but I need to get to town first. I've read mixed reviews about the need for one. Any red flags of making the trip without one and relying on the hydraulics to keep the motor raised? I know you're not supposed to use the tilt bracket.
Thanks!
How soon do you need it and where are you taking it in for service to? I can loan you mine if you're coming to the island.

I would use a piece of wood (hockey stick) and not rely on the bracket and then a bungee cord from the bottom of the motor leg to the trailer.

How soon do you need it and where are you taking it in for service to? I can loan you mine if you're coming to the island.e offer, but I

How soon do you need it and where are you taking it in for service to? I can loan you mine if you're coming to the island.
I appreciate the offer but I may have to jury-rig something - I'm coming from Mayne fist thing Fri AM to Vic. Can't find something on the island so I might have to hockey stick or 2*4 it as a temp solution if the sentiment is that I should be using one even for a short trip

I had a 115 Zuke and the safety supports from factory both broke. I used a 1 or 1 1/4"(can't remember) piece of galvanized pipe with a piece of solid wood in it to give it strength. I would place it between the engine and its bracket just above where the safety supports were. Lower the motor for a bit of tension, done. Never had a problem and did some highway and gravel road driving as well, no issues. I just recently upgraded to the 140H Zuke myself and although I now have the safety supports I may still use the pipe or a board as it supports the whole engine. The guys at the shop also confirmed that just depending on the supports themselves is not the best. Hope that helps.

I had a 115 Zuke and the safety supports from factory both broke. I used a 1 or 1 1/4"(can't remember) piece of galvanized pipe with a piece of solid wood in it to give it strength. I would place it between the engine and its bracket just above where the safety supports were. Lower the motor for a bit of tension, done. Never had a problem and did some highway and gravel road driving as well, no issues. I just recently upgraded to the 140H Zuke myself and although I now have the safety supports I may still use the pipe or a board as it supports the whole engine. The guys at the shop also confirmed that just depending on the supports themselves is not the best. Hope that helps.
Good suggestion - do you happen to have a picture of your setup handy? Just wondering what you used between where the pipe contacts the engine - did you use a block of wood or some type of cradle? Thanks

I'll try and get a photo tomorrow. I just wrapped the pipe with electrician's tape and laid it in there.

I'll try and get a photo tomorrow. I just wrapped the pipe with electrician's tape and laid it in there.
Yeah if you have a chance that would be great. Do you slide the pipes over the trim rods or to the side? I've seen some others mention PVC pipe over the trim rods but it's hard to imagine it has enough rigidity/strength to support a #400lb+ motor

I use one anytime I travel (which in my case is from Alberta) to the coast or sometimes east to Thunder Bay. Hopefully this pic works... I also use the transom saver to run a wire and additional light on my Yamaha. k%5Dm1VfSJGEErlFVzjq4A.jpg

I’m a big believer in transom supports or at least some kind of aid.

For my last boat the wellcraft with the twin 175 Zukes I had custom built some transom savers. I wish I had a good pic of them but I never did take one. They ran to the end of the roller supports. They were quite long and cumbersome so I only used them for long trips but they were very effective.

On the new boat the transom is built very strong lots of support and a very robust construction so I have went with these. I am running 2 on the main engine 1 on each cylinder and I have 1 ( it’s a different type ) type on the kicker. I like these very cost effective and it takes the stress off the trim cylinders.

Some of these boats I see running around especially those with the pod conversions and big outboards hanging off the back and no transom support just makes me shutter. The stress put on the transoms on those boats must be incredible.

Last edited:
The m-y wedge is a great product! I know you can’t get one in time but for future travels is is much better than the transom saver that bolts to the trailer.

Thanks for everyone's input. I fashioned a temporary solution out of PVC pipe. I used 3/4" pipe nested inside 1 1/4" pipe over the Rams and onto the supports (see pic). I'll pick up something proper tomorrow but hopefully this will suffice for the short trip. I put the 3/4" pipe inside the 1 1/4" as a backup just in case the latter fails. Brown duct tape on the end is just to minimize scratches at the connection. Will it work? I'll let you know...

Attachments

• 20210204_171812.jpg
    20210204_171812.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 108
Thats what I did for my merc on a double eagle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-182252_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-182252_Photos.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 97
I dont think it will hurt if you will go without a transom saver for a trip or 2 but I would go as slow as possible especially over speed bumps or down a bumpy road and I would order a proper transom saver right away. The weight of the motor and especially offroad trailering is going to put a lot of stress on your transom. Not only does it put a lot of stress on your transom, it also puts a lot of stress on the hydraulics of your trim system. The force of the motor swinging back and forth on an unsupported motor may wiggle the outboard bolts loose from whatever sealant was used to seal the engine mounting holes which may result in water getting into your transom which is very bad for a fiberglass boat.

Back