Transducer spray

Update! I wrapped the transducer bracket gap with electrical tape and tried the boat today. Great news! Problem solved! Thanks to everyone for the tips! Happy Canada Day!

Attachments

• IMG_0322.JPG
    IMG_0322.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 33
Resurrecting a bit of an older thread...
.. finally got a chance to take the boat out after installing the new garmin unit and transducer.

transducer is spraying TERRIBLY straight up hitting the starboard side of my etec like a fire hose. This isn’t a fine mist as someone described earlier in this post. this is really bad. does anyone care to add any new info as these new dual chirp transducers are really big and this must be a real common problem now. does the tape trick described earlier actually work? this seems super Mickey Mouse but i can’t have this amount of water nailing my outboard.

Resurrecting a bit of an older thread...
.. finally got a chance to take the boat out after installing the new garmin unit and transducer.

transducer is spraying TERRIBLY straight up hitting the starboard side of my etec like a fire hose. This isn’t a fine mist as someone described earlier in this post. this is really bad. does anyone care to add any new info as these new dual chirp transducers are really big and this must be a real common problem now. does the tape trick described earlier actually work? this seems super Mickey Mouse but i can’t have this amount of water nailing my outboard.

Yes it does.

Ok i’m gonna give it a shot tomorrow. if this does the trick i’m gonna ty and fill the gap with something more permanent, perhaps fashion a wedge out of a piece of hockey puck and keep it in place with some sika flex or something.
thanks SV

That’s about as Canadian as you can get! Love it.

yup. i’ll hold it in place with some maple syrup and duct tape !

I actually think something less dense would work better. i also thought of a large bed of marine grade silicone as well. i’ll have to play a bit.

I get the spray as well. Someone mentioned on the last page about it being about light or short boats with a shallow draft particularly on step that makes it worse. That is certainly my case, a 15'11" boat with a 115hp that has a comically small amount of fibreglass in the water at speed.

For some reason I can't picture what the 'tape fix' is. If the transducer is pictured as an L. Do you mean to wrap the perpendicular '90 degree joint of the L' with tape?

I get the spray as well. Someone mentioned on the last page about it being about light or short boats with a shallow draft particularly on step that makes it worse. That is certainly my case, a 15'11" boat with a 115hp that has a comically small amount of fibreglass in the water at speed.

For some reason I can't picture what the 'tape fix' is. If the transducer is pictured as an L. Do you mean to wrap the perpendicular '90 degree joint of the L' with tape?

yes i think so?! not 100% sure to be honest; i will post my findings tomorrow.i just wrapped a healthy amount of electricians tape around the transom bracket and the metal bracket attached to the transducer. much research has shown me that water gets forced thru this gap at speed and sprays all over the place; sometimes making itself manifest as a rooster tail behind the boat, sometimes creating a lovely little mist, slowly soaking everyone on board, and in my case, a fire hose of salt water to the lower cowling of my outboard; right where the top cowling clips on. not cool.

yes i think so?! not 100% sure to be honest; i will post my findings tomorrow.i just wrapped a healthy amount of electricians tape around the transom bracket and the metal bracket attached to the transducer. much research has shown me that water gets forced thru this gap at speed and sprays all over the place; sometimes making itself manifest as a rooster tail behind the boat, sometimes creating a lovely little mist, slowly soaking everyone on board, and in my case, a fire hose of salt water to the lower cowling of my outboard; right where the top cowling clips on. not cool.

Fluid dynamics. The bracket designs that they are coming out with now tend to be sheet metal. I see it more and more. When you look from your stern and see transducer. If you have a gap there then water is going to follow path least of resistance when you plane. Hockey tape to close it in and problem is solved.

I did this a few years ago on both transducers and it works great!

Is the transducer too deep by chance.
I added a lexan flap just above.
Did the trick. The challenge is the boat creates a back draft and any water or spray that's lifted gets swirled up and into the boat ...no probs now

4" ABS pipe shield!! easy to work with.

Ok so a quick update: i wrapped the transducer bracket in electrical tape and this stopped 90% of the spray. super Red Green but what are you gonna do. as far as it being installed too deep, i feel that it is a tad to deep ( wow there’s a first ) but i followed the garmin installation specs to the tee. but i lifted it up about 1/4”.

the real pisser: it’s not reading bottom at all on plane, so obvious dirty water. this isn’t critical, but it would have been nice...i’m gonna try playing with the pitch angle of the transducer to see if i can rectify that.

this kinda stuff drives me nuts. i know every transom angle is different yada yada but man they can’t figure this out? like if the bracket was closed in at the top it would eliminate this. i’ve gotta welder fabricator buddy i’m gonna ya e him make me some sort of plate.

Anyone have any thoughts on wether the plate might interfere with depth soundings?

Ok so a quick update: i wrapped the transducer bracket in electrical tape and this stopped 90% of the spray. super Red Green but what are you gonna do. as far as it being installed too deep, i feel that it is a tad to deep ( wow there’s a first ) but i followed the garmin installation specs to the tee. but i lifted it up about 1/4”.

the real pisser: it’s not reading bottom at all on plane, so obvious dirty water. this isn’t critical, but it would have been nice...i’m gonna try playing with the pitch angle of the transducer to see if i can rectify that.

this kinda stuff drives me nuts. i know every transom angle is different yada yada but man they can’t figure this out? like if the bracket was closed in at the top it would eliminate this. i’ve gotta welder fabricator buddy i’m gonna ya e him make me some sort of plate.

Anyone have any thoughts on wether the plate might interfere with depth soundings?
It Should read bottom on plane, still something wrong.

Pics would help riverboy....
That would help immensely towards
Solving this challenge

Damn Daniel.. that looks way better
Then mine.....but I didnt make it..lol

Yes thanks for this ^. very clever using half a toilet flange and half pipe! i did actually come across this on Hull Truth. i am loathe to drill holes if i don’t have to. when i install the plate i will use the existing bracket configuration.

I met a guy who had spray from his transducer eventually get through the gasket on the cowling of his outboard, and fry some circuitry, so it can have some bad impacts for sure! I got a welding shop to add a stainless guard above it and that's cut back on my spray.

I met a guy who had spray from his transducer eventually get through the gasket on the cowling of his outboard, and fry some circuitry, so it can have some bad impacts for sure! I got a welding shop to add a stainless guard above it and that's cut back on my spray.

yes this is my concern. i had it out today no spray anymore thanks to mickey mouse tape fix

Back