Transducer Mounting on Aluminum boat

ReelAffair

can a transducer be mounted inside the boat (expoxied) on an aluminum boat like it can on a fiberglass boat

dont want to drill holes if possible

thanks

I have an aluminum boat and I have read and heard that you will get poor performance from a transducer mounted inside an aluminum boat. Unlike fiberglass, aluminum is a poor medium for sound waves to travel through.

I have a Lowrance sounder and use a Airmar P-66 transom mount transducer which is better quality than the stock Lowrance transducers.

Your other option is to use a thru hull transducer. Generally thru hull models perform better than transom mounts but you have to drill a hole in your boat and you have to use a plastic or non-conducting washer to keep the metal in the transducer from reacting (i.e. electrolysis) with your aluminum hull - which is very bad news for your boat in the long run. Hope this helps.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

I would like to think my 35 years in the commercial industry gives me a little more insight into boat issues than some. Drill a hole and mount a thru hull transducer ,it just isn't that big an issue.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

Not quite sure what point Bogman's trying to make, or if it is some kind of slag on me - whatever.

Like I said you will get the best performance out of a thru-hull transducer (not a shoot thru-hull) - just make sure you use a non-conducting washer of some sort between any dissimilar metals between the transducer and your hull and you should be good to go.

I base this on 30+ years of boat experience and 200 years of basics science.

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Best way is to get a bracket welded to the stern and bolt your transducer to it.Shouldn't cost to much.

Cheers,

I am on my 51st boat and many have been aluminum. I would concur with the advise given by cletus:
Best way is to get a bracket welded to the stern and bolt your transducer to it.Shouldn't cost to much.</u>

The added benefit is that, as things change, should you go to something different, it is not big deal to simply unbolt where, with something sticking through your hull, you will live with it a long time. I look around my garage at the countless items that, at the time seemed wonderful, only to be superceded by something even more amazing.

I am the firm opinion the less holes in a boat bottom the better you - and your boat - are going to be!

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Whole in the water_ Sorry ,no slag intended. Just seems that most people are worried about drilling a hole in the hull when it is not that big a deal if done properly.

Mounting the transducer on the stern will not give you the best results compared to further up on the hull.

Just my opinion.

"Who would have ever thought it would be this much fun catching them one at a time"

thanks for the info.....trying to mount it on a jetboat out of the way....dont want to put a hole in the floor, because it has teflon bottom, and want it out of the way for low/low water

getting it ready for a spring griz hunting trip...but want to be able to find crab/prawn spots

I mounted mine on a portable transducer mount that I got from West Marine. It is made out of aluminum and allows to adjust it up and down to the correct depth/height. Cost about $60 including taxes. It really handy if you have more than one obat and a portable sounder.

Regarding the through hull transducer, I'm sure it is much more sensitive when located properly. However, these models are also far more expensive than transom mounts to purchase and pay to have installed. I think there are other negatives worth considering as well. Pictures I have seen of these installations show that the transducer hardly sits flush with the aluminum hull. This would seem to create more drag on the hull as well as being a greater risk of damage from impact. One of the most versatile features of having a welded aluminum hull is that it can run shallow rivers and be easily beached without much fear of damage. I'd be too nervous beaching a boat with an expensive through hull transducer exposed on the bottom. That would seem to negate one of the biggest selling points of a welded hull.

Back