Trailering with Bimini up

MikePA

What's your thoughts on driving with the Bimini up? It says on it do not exceed 50km/hr.. I've driven 100km/hr with it, but am wondering about wear and tear and if there's a risk of the eisenglass tearing or things coming apart?20201212_104205_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I did it a few times with my old double eagle. Wouldn't do it anymore. Definitely stresses and stretches everything.

my bimini (like most) rolls up and folds down inside for travel , full on travel cover snaps on/off in about 60 seconds....giv'r down the hwy

Seems like a bad idea to me. Strain on the canvas, increased fuel consumption, hit by low hanging branches, exposed to road dust and dirt...

Most outfits that make biminis will make a trailering top, keeps rain and casual sticky fingers out of your boat. Less money than replacing damaged bimini every few years

I trailer with mine but keep it around 70 max. No issues but yes I know I may be shortening it’s life a bit. Don’t love the idea of another thing to prior to fishing. I need to get one specific to trailering though.

What's your thoughts on driving with the Bimini up? It says on it do not exceed 50km/hr.. I've driven 100km/hr with it, but am wondering about wear and tear and if there's a risk of the eisenglass tearing or things coming apart?View attachment 82896
Don’t do it. I’ve recently lost a panel of eisenglass and even more recently my straps ripped and the top got straight effed in the b. Now I have no top and I’m trying to get one made on short notice. It’s not going well.

In basically unrelated news I golfed with a guy with 9 1/2 fingers the other day. Bimini accident he said. I told him I have a selection of hats for various weather conditions on my boat.

Back