Trailer maintenance possible issues

dmurph

Doing some spring maintenance on the trailer and noticed the clamp on the leaf springs has fallen apart, is this a crucial part, replaced I with what I had in the shop. Trailer was new in 2019, sure falls apart quickly

Attachments

• 4F9BC4ED-CC52-400A-89E9-0D02E866A6E0.jpeg
    4F9BC4ED-CC52-400A-89E9-0D02E866A6E0.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 85
  • AAE313A1-BB92-4B32-B94F-82633940BA1C.jpeg
    AAE313A1-BB92-4B32-B94F-82633940BA1C.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 15920E8F-6CBD-457A-918B-A5BFB50F8418.jpeg
    15920E8F-6CBD-457A-918B-A5BFB50F8418.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 84
I do not think it is much of an issue. Should be able to get a replacement at a trailer shop but the band clamp does nothing structural.

Do you fully hose it down every time you use it?
I do but French creek doesn’t have a wash down hose so it’s now until I get home after a day of boating. This trailer is going be if my biggest regret purchases, wish I went tuff trailer,

Last edited:
I do but French creek doesn’t have a wash down hose so it’s now until I get home after a day of boating. This trailer is going be if my biggest regret purchases, wish I went tiff trailer,
Even torsion bars have their issues. The spring leaves will be good for many years. Bearings and brakes - no.

I always carry a spare leaf spring after seeing several boat trailers on the Road to Gold River with springs broken (clip broken that holds springs together). They’re less than $100. I bolt mine to the trailer where it sits for back up.

That looks like a roadrunner trailer, I was just measuring the leaf springs on mine today for replacement, this is an 8500 RR which was new in 2016 and honestly these leaf springs haven't been road worthy in years. This only used once for marina haulout and I've always rinsed.

Screenshot_20230402_195416_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230402_195409_Gallery.jpg

That looks like a roadrunner trailer, I was just measuring the leaf springs on mine today for replacement, this is an 8500 RR which was new in 2016 and honestly these leaf springs haven't been road worthy in years. This only used once for marina haulout and I've always rinsed.

View attachment 91240View attachment 91242
Ya mines a 8500 lbs new in late 2019 washed after uses. Not overly impressed. I wanted a new trailer for such along time as the one that came with my boat was the original from 2007 and not heavily rated only 5500lbs if I recall. I got by with it cause I moored the boat. Since moving to the island I now trailer . Anyways the new trailer basically looks like the old one from 07.

Do you happen to have pic of your leaf springs? If im right, not sure why I have 7 band leafs for a dual axel 8500 lb trailer. I measured mine 3 times eye to eye and each time it was 25.5" but I can't find any that length either. I guess I have to go back to them...again. ugh

Mine gotta be 25" 1/4 it was pouring today and I bet the tape deflected a bit over the axel.

when I ordered a spare spring from Road Runner they gave me one that if I recall right has 4 leafs. Mine are 5. When I asked they told me the new 4 was rated the same as the old 5 leaf. Point being the number of leafs rating wise can be different.

View attachment 91240View attachment 91242
Leaf springs are high carbon steel and it naturally rusts. The leaves move alongside each other as they flex. This action produces tiny metal particles that also rust. However, other than being ugly, it causes no harm. My 2016 triple axle, RR trailer has been great, other than for the drum brakes - certainly a weak point. I have sprayed the 6 springs with Fluid Film, so there is little visible rust.

Boat trailers are often over- loaded. A 4000 pound boat on a GVWR 4500 pound trailer is overloaded.

• Empty Weight – The weight of the trailer without any cargo or fluids; also called Dry Weight or Unloaded Weight
  • GVWR – The maximum weight a trailer is rated to weigh, including cargo, fluids, etc.
  • Load Capacity – The total weight of the cargo a trailer is rated to carry
The trailer must carry all your gear, fuel, engine, kicker, plus it's own weight, too. Allowing a 15% cushion, you should have at least a 7500 pound rating. Under sizing a trailer to "save money" will certainly lead to early spring failure and more expense. Loose bolts can also be contributors. Trailer springs have no dampening so slow down on rough roads.

The bands some people are concerned with are there to hold the spring stack together until it's mounted. Afterward, they have no purpose.

Look at your Class IV hitch, too. Use only to 5000 pounds.

Last edited:
I believe the most important thing to get the most value out of your boat trailer is to rinse the salt off it the minute it comes out of the water. I have a 200 litre tank of fresh water and a deck wash down pump in the box of my truck and religiously spray down after launch and retrieval. I beach launch my boat in Mexico now and depending on how the waves are the truck can get pretty salty too. They both get sprayed to wherever the water level was when the truck and trailer went in. I also spray leaf springs dif and frame rails with oil periodically to slow the corrosion of those components.

Back