Trailer jacks?

Little Hawk

Howdy,

Need advise on who makes a decent trailer-jack and where I should get one here in Victoria? (crank-type with wheel)

The ****** one I got from West Marine didn't give me more than 3 or so years of service. Cheap pot-metal gears in it.

Don't need the 'Mercedes' just a good one for buck that will last a while. (Boat is 19'/ft cuddy about 3000/lbs w/tandem trailer)

Any and all advice appreciated.

Terry

Not sure what the brand (fairly well known and widely used) was but I had the same problem with only getting 2-3 years out of the first two I had.Both became impossible to crank as gears ceased. Finally went to Wilmar Marine and Dennis told me to block the trailer and turn the jack upside down. There is hole in the bottom of the ram between the wheels. Poor motor oil down the hole and leave upside down for a while .work it full out and full in then add a little more oil. Flip it over and use it. I did this a few times a year and the last one was 5 years old wen I sold it and it was still as smooth as day one. If I remember the brand I will add to the post.

Just remembered; It was Fulton

Hope it helps : Cheers

Ofishal is over here now too..... There goes the neighborhood ;)

I just got one at princess auto had a few to pick from . good luck

I just got one at princess auto had a few to pick from . good luck

X2... Was in there the other day for the first time and saw few different models.

Fulton makes a higher quality model now that is much better than the old model. It has a lifetime guarentee.

Thanks Guys! Great to have input here.

Took H Hula's advice and went out to Princess Auto yesterday. Ain't been there yet and my buddy keeps tellin' me I gotta' check it out so it was a might-fine excuse to do so.

Ended up getting one with dual-wheels. Seems skookum enough. Only thing I didn't like was that it had no grease nipple on it. Told a guy workin' there I only got 2 or 3 yrs out of my last 'Fulton' and it had a nipple on it (wife's got 2-nipples and I got 35 yrs out of her). He said if you only get 2-yrs out of this puppy, bring it back and we'll give you your money back.

Maybe try the upside down oil trick. Maybe drill/tap a grease-zirk into into. Maybe ****-on the whole deal and get my sorry butt out to catch me my first Hali!

Thanks again!

Back