Trailer bunk style guide ons

gungadin

Does anyone here have bunk guide ons, not the tube type but the board type. I see them mounted near the back of the trailer to help centre the boat on the trailer. In rougher water (waves coming on shore}
I sometimes need a few trys to get the boat centred, and was hoping this setup would help. What is your experience with them?

guide on.jpg

I just removed my guide poles and put a set of these loading guides on. I don’t motor on to the trailer as I prefer to walk it on and I really like them for the reason you mentioned. I have them adjusted so that my stern is always centered and I have my boat sitting exactly where I want it to be each time I load.

I went without for 20+ years, recent boat arrived with side guides ....100% believer. Super easy to load boat in cross winds. Trailer can be backed in deeper to eliminate power loading/simplify winching. Additionally an inexperienced boat driver can easily centre boat for quick and efficient boat retrieval at crowded launches. My side guides also have a built in ladder to allow easy access up and over the side of the boat. I never understood the need until I used them, now I really appreciate having them.

I just removed my guide poles and put a set of these loading guides on. I don’t motor on to the trailer as I prefer to walk it on and I really like them for the reason you mentioned. I have them adjusted so that my stern is always centered and I have my boat sitting exactly where I want it to be each time I load.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them and how much?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them and how much?
I was fortunate to receive my kit as a gift from an acquaintance but i did call up Highliner trailers in Delta about a month ago and they quoted me about $400 for a kit that would work with my I beam trailer frame and long enough to span my tandem axles.

I thank all for their reactions regarding glide ons. I built a set for my little boat and tried it out yesterday at a nearby lake. I set the guides so they were about 2 -3 cm away from the hull and about 30cm under the gunnels. Straight on ( at least I thought it was straight on) I could feel the hull being guided by the carpeted bunks into the straight ahead position. Even when deliberately aiming to either side the guide ons gently persuaded the boat to the centre. Quite an improvement.

Back