Trailer Brakes - replacement

Reel Time

Probably a post someplace on what Iam after.

Have a new to me used high liner with dual axle and drum brakes.

The drums are toast. If I had the garage I would take on replacing them. This round will go to the mechanics.

Looking for a mechanic or shop recommendation in or near Nanaimo. Probably swap to disc now too.

thanks for any leads !

I replaced tandem axle drums with new discs, actuator and lines myself this winter and it was very easy, took me about 5 hours. Second set I have done to 2 different trailers in the last 10 years. Just a suggestion if you are mechanically inclined.

Any brake place will be happy to take your money (every year).....Do it yourself, easy and pack bearings while your at it, rags are cheap.

go see exhaust masters in alberni....I booked a day to get mine done a few years back launched my boat at clutesi in alberni ,dropped the trailer off in front of the shop(literally 2 mins away), fished all day and picked up my trailer at the days end...job done.

For me It wasn't worth Doing myself. I had a junky road runner with drums.. everything was rusty and ******. sometimes its more fun to let someone else do it while your out doing what you love to do. time is money too.

Plus its easier to change brake lines and what not if the boat is off the trailer! bonus

Yep. I have the tools but the time is limited.

appreciate the insight. Maybe I’ll limp it a few more trips and just do it myself.

although it’s nice to know a few honest mechanics of needed.

cheers

Tomcat in Langford was fairly reasonable for us. 1200 plus tax for 4 almost complete drum brake replacements. Loves to talk fishing.

Sorry but I had a terrible experience with Tomcat in Langford. Installed the wrong parts. I specifically requested SS callipers, found out later after they seized after one season. they installed galvanized. Didn’t properly convert the actuator after converting from drum to disc. Messed the charges up completely. I don’t think they do much marine work. I had such a frustrating experience I had no confidence they could fix the mess they made so next season I ended up ordering the parts and installing it myself. So far with 4 season on stainless calipers, things have been working ok (fingers crossed).

I soap/rinse the entire trailer with with a product called salt away. seems to work well.. I put that's%$t on everything.

I've never heard anyone suggest a lubricant like WD40 to spray on brakes. That kind of defeats the purpose.

Get some salt-away in a spray bottle and spray the brakes down once you get out of the water. It can't hurt.

I think the theory behind WD40 on the rotors is that it removes the moisture and prevents rust (what it's designed for) while the trailer is not in use but quickly burns of once the brakes are applied. OTOH it probably isn't great for the pads. I dunno?

Here's a better tip: when you have finished thoroughly rinsing the brakes, trailer around for a bit applying the brakes to heat them up and fully dry them before parking. Keeps the pads from rusting to the rotors and locking up while parked.

Back