TR1 Gold

fishnwhenIcan

Anyone using one? I just put one on, real pricey but I sucked it up as I fish alone quite a bit.

So second time using it and first long day. I notice my downriggers getting slow so I fire up the main engine and she turns over real slow but starts. Finished the day running on the main.

The TR1 seems to be at constant work moving back and forth steady, so does she just draw that much power that my Yammy 9.9 won't keep up? Or should I be looking at the charging system of the kicker or even possibly batteries?

First time I've had any slowdown on the riggers or problem starting.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

I don't know, but these things are on sale this week. Might be a good back up until you figure it out. Plus Charlie has some great posts about dual batteries if you try the search function.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...ack%252C%2B800%2BA.jsp?locale=en#BVRRWidgetID

thanks for the headsup on the sale! I was figuring on getting one of the exact same things. 23miles back on the 9.9 would be a long trip.

I have dual batteries now and a switch so maybe next time I'll isolate 1 battery but i won't be using the TR1 long.

Try setting the sea state function to a lower setting to stop the constant oscillation. I use one and a house/start isolation system would be my 0.25

FishwhenIcan,

TR-1 are money! When I bought my boat (it was a demo boat the dealership's owner had) it came with it. I was highly sceptical about it, but he said after I used it once, I would never have a boat without it again. Yup, he was right.

Mine too draws quite a bit of juice, but this got a lot better after after I tuned it down so it is not so spastic. In windy or rough weather they really work like crazy to try to hold your course. I keep an eye on the voltage displayed on the rear depth sounder, and if it get too low I start the main and let it idle for a little while to get the batteries back up. I do have dual batteries w/isolator also, but just feel better knowing both are always up to snuff...Can't have too much safety margin when off-shore V.I.....

The tuning procedure in the manual is a little convoluted and hard to follow ( at least for guys like me), but I emailed Garmin and a very nice dood emailed me back with suggestions. This may work for you also. Good Luck!

Thanks for your help guys!

I will try adjusting it. I wasn't sure if there was somethng wrong with my charging system but it doesn't sound like it. I was in pretty good currents so she was probably working harder than normal. I'm going to buy the backup system for it as well. Never can be too safe...

P.S. I don't care for the manual much either, had it in and out twice on install thinking she didn't work cause I didn't interpret the wording in the manual correctly.

Back