TR-1 For Dummies

I never used mine with a GPS but I still needed to calibrate to hold a straight line .

I never used mine with a GPS but I still needed to calibrate to hold a straight line .
yes the system and compass ball does need to be calibrated the first time then your good to go after that, its very easy to do and takes less the 5 minutes

My kicker has a charging unit but I cleaned up some of the wiring since so may have added to my charging issues back then. I'll have to go back through the bleeding instructions in the manual. I think they were for the initial installation, I was hoping to cut that procedure somewhat as the units a bit of a pain getting out and back in where it's located.

Reading through the manual it says "compass calibration is not absolutely required, but gps functions will work best with the compass calibrated etc." That being the case, unfortunately I don't think the calibration will fix my pulling issues, although I should do it as well.

My kicker has a charging unit but I cleaned up some of the wiring since so may have added to my charging issues back then. I'll have to go back through the bleeding instructions in the manual. I think they were for the initial installation, I was hoping to cut that procedure somewhat as the units a bit of a pain getting out and back in where it's located.
You should bleed it at the hydraulic cylinder at the kicker if I remember correctly
and its not so much bleeding as it is extending the lines upwards and filling them to chase the air out

Last edited by a moderator:
Just checked the manual's index to see if it had a trouble shooting section. It does on page 39. Only problem is the manual only goes to page 38. Remember that now, I did some cursing last time I noticed that. Now it's just funny. Also talked to Garmin about it way back but never got anywhere. Manual mode ain't that bad, just a little expensive for a glorified panther. I think I'll give Garmin another call. You guys are probably right but if I'm going in there again, I might be opening up some new access with a Stihl saw.

Did some googling. It looks like a guy named Robert Voss seems to be a tr1 guru. Found some stuff on I-FIsh where he answers all kinds of issues guys have had. Bleeding it now is simply a matter of cutting the hoses off at the cylinder, joining them back together, running it back and forfh while keeping the tank full until all of the bubbles are gone. Then bleed the cylinder using two short hoses submerged in fluid. Then put it all back together. Sounds easy enough now i just need to find that biosoy fluid.

Ya that is how I bleed mine, and the guy you speak I if he live in Oregon he is a tr1 guru I spoke with him before and he was really helpful. I think he owns or runs a marine electronic store in the Portland area.

pm me next week and remind me and I'll copy the bleeding instructions if you like

Once I get that done I'll calibrate that compass. It sounds like it could be part of the problem as well. Could be a whole new experience fishing her this year if i can get that throttle nailed down as well.

I'm pretty sure that I ran ATF in my unit it says you can use that for alternative. Some if they marine fluids are over priced as far as I'm concerned

West marine usually carries the bio soy in stock

Thanks, i will check them out. Just reading up on calbrating the compass. It looks like it's a little different for gps, you have to be doing more than slow turns, better up on plane to establish true north on the tr1.

Starting to get my head wrapped around this thing. Rudder gain and counter gain. and speed scedules....I think I could spend a little time calibrating.

I'm pretty sure that I ran ATF in my unit it says you can use that for alternative. Some if they marine fluids are over priced as far as I'm concerned

In an emergency case only, not recommended at least that's what I thought I read somwhere now I'm not finding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used it the whole time worked great!!! They always say that you need to use there products but it's all bs!!!

I used it the whole time worked great!!! They always say that you need to use there products but it's all bs!!!

I think at some point i read dextron 3. That would be a whole lot easier to get. I checked out Steveston Marine in Langley today, Bio soy? nada.

You never had any issues with the tr1 throttle system? It would be a nice way to do it all on one remote but I've read of some issues.

In an emergency case only, not recommended at least that's what I thought I read somwhere now I'm not finding it.

You can but they Soy is more enviro friendly should you puke it all out

Back