Toquarht Bay campground closed until further notice.

That is totally bewildering!!!

Wow is all I have to say about it.

I will be watching this one closely for sure.

This seems like total BS to me. I know the first nations are opening up their new development. I would be very curious and interested in how this play's out against the campsite decision.

I know quite a few folks that moor there every year. This bites big time. I will be talking to them shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not coming from the First Nations but the Province. My kids have spent all of their summers there for the last 7 years. My wife and I before kids.

This is not coming from the First Nations but the Province. My kids have spent all of their summers there for the last 7 years. My wife and I before kids.

What are you doing about it?

I'm just up the street so to speak at Salmon Beach. I am here to help out in any way I can. Just let me know how.

I just found out about this. I've been reading about Arsenic. I don't know? I guess I will wait and see what the test produce. My kids have never been sick while we have been there. Not that I can remember anyway. Kids barf all the time, I don't know? Maybe they they got sick up there. Both of my kids have eaten sand. Doesn't every kid?

Those Arsenic warnings would scare me to sell, if I owned property near Toquaht bay

I may be interested, PM me:p

Kh

Does anyone know what the park land standars are... Low...

The bioavailable levels of Arsenic in Soil are also very low. I don't think your kid is going to consume a 45 gallon barrel worth of soil before you notice.

I would be cautious of any Groundwater extraction in the area

We never used the water for drinking. We always take water with us and refilled the water tanks in Ucluelet when we stay for a week or two. We love that place. I wonder where we will go now if it doesn't open this summer?

Subject: FN0226-SANITARY - Emergency Closure: Area 23.hh - Toquart Bay

Category(s):
General Information,
Sanitary/Other Contamination Closures,
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Clam - Intertidal,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Clam - Razor,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Geoduck and Horseclam,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Oyster,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Scallop by Dive,
COMMERCIAL - Invertebrates: Scallop by Trawl

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0226-SANITARY - Emergency Closure: Area 23.hh - Toquart Bay

Effective March 22, 2013 until further notice: As a result of reports
indicating presence of heavy metal contamination, all harvesting of bivalve
shellfish, including licensed depuration and relay, is prohibited until further
notice within the portion of Pacific Fishery Management Subarea 23-10:

Emergency Closure: Area 23.hh – Toquart Bay:

Harvesting of bivalve shellfish is prohibited within the waters and intertidal
foreshore of a portion of Subarea 23-10, described as the western side of Toquart Bay, Barkley Sound, northwest of a line drawn from a point of land at
48°59.87’ north latitude and 125°22.14’ west longitude, thence northeast to a
point on land at 49°02.09’ north latitude and 125°20.06’ west longitude.

Detailed bivalve shellfish closure information and maps are available at our

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/psp

and at local DFO offices.

For more information contact a local DFO office or Elysha Gordon at 250-756-

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0226
Sent March 22, 2013 at 16:33
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

MMMMMM,heavy metal oysters

just kidding...a very serious and ****** deal

any news? parking ? boat launch available? this sucks for alot of us in the back of the sound. please report any info!!

From what I'm hearing from guys in the know that it will most likely not happen this year......hope they are wrong.... :(

11 miles one way to ukee is gonna suck for picking up guests, pretty sure lucky lodge used it also

Wow ****** deal ..Toquarht bay is such an awesome place to camp n launch... hope they get this resolved in short order..oh it's the Government...sorry..:(

My guess is that Toquart Bay is on it's way out for the average Joe fisherman. My wife and I were there two years ago in the Spring (all alone, nobody else there except for the Wolves). There was a survey crew there doing some work within the campground area and so we went to have a chat with them. They mentioned that they were doing some prework, checking property lines etc. because of the plan to eventually build a resort/condos in the future. There would probably still be camping available there but it would probably such a high end site that it would price most of us out of the picture.
It's a shame because we've used the place since my grown kids were toddlers but I really think that it will be history for the guy who just wants to drive in, launch the boat and camp for a few days. JMHO.
Dave

Back