Tool Kit Thread and questions

I carry an inreach device, booster pack, a bunch of electrical connectors and crimpers, fuses, basic tool kit with screwdrivers , jb weld, hydraulic fluid, fuel filters, two crescent wrenches. I travel to remote areas once or twice a year and after stepping on and breaking a fuel fitting in some random bay near Hakai, I have since added more stuff . Without two wrenches, it wasn’t coming apart. I ended up using the jb weld epoxy and it lasted for the 300 mile run home. If you have a small boat and fish locally, you don’t need to pack a ton of stuff . Just some basics .

when trailering boat i take with me a separate toolkit which consists of hydraulic jack, a couple wooden blocks, spare hub/spindle, wrench for lugs, brake fluid, zip strips, grease gun, and pump sprayer with salt-a-way to wash brakes & other down after dipping.

for the boat i also have toolkit with many of the items listed, but.... i have had issues with my socket sets and rusting in the environment even though they are kept dry, and would appreciate any suggestions to keep stuff rust free. Also, is there a preferred jump starter that has longest life between charges and delivers the high cold cranking amps necessary to get the job done. I ask since i bought one 5 years ago which would not start my motor at that time (F250), but was more than adequate to charge my phone. thank you. DAJ
This will jump start a dead diesel truck! It is a bit bigger than others on the market but comes in a nice case

Below is what I have and like it. I just pulled it from my boat still had 100% charge from the spring. I have used this on my diesel truck but I think it might be a bit small if you are completely dead.

Another vote for the Knipex wrench/pliers. I have several pair of the 7": shop, truck, boat, job trailer. And a 10" in the shop tool chest too. They're what multi position pliers were supposed to be. Also, when locked in the appropriate position for the work at hand, they are a very good crimping tool. The jaws close parallel to each other so the crimp is precisely the same right across its width.

Someone mentioned PicQuic multi bit screwdriver. Again I have these things everywhere, gave each member of my work crew one, always have one in the pocket of my coveralls. Best of all the multi drivers I've seen. The bits fit in a cordless impact driver and the handle gives you 1/4" and 5/16 nut drivers for use on gear clamps. 7 bit types will fit 90+% of the screws you'll encounter. Made in Canada to boot.

Agree that the focus of a boat tool kit should be on fuel and electrical systems as these are much more likely to have trouble than typical modern outboards and EFI inboards. Appropriate, frequent maintenance of power and careful selection and installation of in-hull systems is a foundation for reliable boating. Prevention is always preferable to cure.

I’ll get in on this I’ve had all of these items fail on me at one time or another
…For the truck I bring
Spare serpentine belt and the pulleys associated with it
——For the trailer …Temp gun that I take readings of the bearings after every use. I know right now that the front passenger side is 10° hotter than the other three all the tools to change them out .large floor jack
—-For yam 9.9
Spare carb, prop,impeller pump ball separate day tank and hose.Currently is plumbed in the main tank but just incase .and home made “floating” Emergency pull cord The factory yam ones don’t float.!!
—-helm rebuild kit 2 litres of oil, stuff for bleeding procedure
—-main outboard spare prop and fuel filter
The list was a lot longer with the inboard
Fuses of course bla bla bla that’s just daily stuff for bigger trips to like say Nootka ect I bring
Just kidding I’ll spare ya that endless list
Cheers

Last edited:

Not sure if anyone has watched this guys YouTube channel, but his content is completely unbiased and he does a hell of a job on pretty much everything important in a mans garage. I believe he’s over 2 million subscribers, check him out. The video above is in regards to jump starters. He even has videos on those fancy knipex pliers you guys love.

Most useful thing I’ve ever carried is a screw driver with 3 feet of nylon starter cord wrapped around it. Pull started many outboards with dead batteries. Screw driver is to take the plastic cover off the flywheel so you can get the starter cord wrapped around a few times.

Not sure if anyone has watched this guys YouTube channel, but his content is completely unbiased and he does a hell of a job on pretty much everything important in a mans garage. I believe he’s over 2 million subscribers, check him out. The video above is in regards to jump starters. He even has videos on those fancy knipex pliers you guys love.
I should have watched this video before I bought my jump starter. Fortunately I lucked into getting the Noco GB70, and on sale to boot. His tests show it functions as claimed, good to know.

I should have watched this video before I bought my jump starter. Fortunately I lucked into getting the Noco GB70, and on sale to boot. His tests show it functions as claimed, good to know.
I have a Noco, as well. Used it several times on the toad behind our RV. The thing is amazing!

I spotted it at Canadian Tire a couple weeks back at $200 instead of regular $300. Trip to Lake Louise was days away, it can get seriously cold there. Sold.

Everyone in the family should have one at that price. Gold.

Mastercraft doesn't make anything itself, just product from wherever supplied with specified features, branding and pricing. That driver looks like its moulded parts came from same plant as PicQuic. Pretty good chance the only difference is branding. Picquic bits last me a long time.

Mastercraft doesn't make anything itself, just product from wherever supplied with specified features, branding and pricing. That driver looks like its moulded parts came from same plant as PicQuic. Pretty good chance the only difference is branding. Picquic bits last me a long time.
As my father, a prarie rancher would say "Yes, #1 oats is very expensive. You can find it much cheaper, once through the horse."

Consider the manufacturing specifications, the materials used and quality control. Sure, they could be manufactured in the same facility but they are not equals. Branding is not the only difference.

I'm late to this thread but in my boat I keep a spare everything,prop alternator,starter,coil,cap and rotor,belt,spark plugs etc...etc...and a all in one tool kit wit all sockets and wrenchs to fix her if we break down anywhere..the beauty of my carberated 5.7 is that it can only be 3 things that take it out,barring catastrophic failure,air,spark,fuel. It's seems like overkill but I've even saved other boaters with my supply,for me it's all about the safety of the souls on board....

Back