Tongue jack issues.

If you are jacking it "all the way up", take a look and see if the jack is straight!!!!! If there is a bend between the jack and the housing, you are putting stress on it and it is just a matter of time before it binds! Which has been the cause of all my jack failures!!

Salt water should not cause a failure, as long as you keep grease in it!

Oh, BTW... " Use America’s favorite multi-purpose product to lubricate</u>, protect and drive moisture from your gear and help avoid costly repairs later." If WD40 is not a lubricate, I think we have them for false advertising! http://www.wd40.com/recreation/ [:I]

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

If you are jacking it "all the way up", take a look and see if the jack is straight!!!!! If there is a bend between the jack and the housing, you are putting stress on it and it is just a matter of time before it binds! Which has been the cause of all my jack failures!!

Salt water should not cause a failure, as long as you keep grease in it!

Oh, BTW... " Use America’s favorite multi-purpose product to lubricate</u>, protect and drive moisture from your gear and help avoid costly repairs later." If WD40 is not a lubricate, I think we have them for false advertising! http://www.wd40.com/recreation/ [:I]

IMO, WD40 feels like a lubricant when you rub it between your fingers, acts like a lubricant, and the MSDS describes it as a lubricant. So to me, even if WD stands for "water dispersant", the product IS a lubricant (or, at least, has some lubricant properties).

http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd447382569.pdf

have any of you actually read the WHMIS on wd40? if you did you wouldnt touch the stuff, that is all i will say on it[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

have any of you actually read the WHMIS on wd40? if you did you wouldnt touch the stuff, that is all i will say on it[xx(]
Yea, we have all ready been there! :)
WD-40 main ingredient is Hexane (50%), followed by 25% Liquefied petroleum gas, 15% Mineral oil, 10% Inert ingredients. It does not contain "fish oil"! I quote, "It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used."

quote:"It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used."

Hi Charlie,
I remember reading somewhere that WD-40 was good for arthritis but if its bad for your skin then I guess its not all that good for arthritis.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

I think WD40 does lubricate, but for short-term...it evaporates quickly compared to oil or grease. You spray it on a bike chain, it takes off all the gunk, and is lubricated briefly, but will be gone in a week. If you put on 3-in-1 oil, it will last half a year or more.

So let's say you're both right, it is a lubricant, but should not be relied on for long-term uses.

Back