Tongue jack issues.

Olde School

Hello, everyone.

I seem to go through a tongue jack every 2 years (at the most).

Just got my 3rd one from Lordco today - the first 2 from there died but there is a 3 year warranty.
They sold me the marine version.

I am well under the max tongue weight.
The tongue does get submerged when the boat is launched.
The boat is launched in the chuck over 50% of the time.
I have been using the grease nipple near the top of the jack.
For several years the jacks were rinsed at home after the motor was flushed but this didn't appear to extend the life either.

The units all seem to 'lock up' and the handle only spins the wheel, doens't raise or lower it.

What do you all do on increase the lifespan of your tongue jacks?

Thanks.

Smiley.

I always make sure the leg of the jack is straight when I lower the weight of the boat down. Never force the wheel to swivel with weight on it when moving the trailer. I always jack it up all the way then place a 6X6 under the trailer tongue..lower the trailer on to the 6X6 so no weight is on the jack.

Mine is about 14 years old and still works well, but then I service it every year. It is a little messy, but a very simple job - latex gloves recommended. I drilled a small hole about 1" down from the top of the tube through which I squirt some gear oil a couple of times a year. The front of my trailer is always sitting on the jack - but then my boat and trailer way only around 3000 lbs.

I take mine a part and never seize the nut and shaft, and everytime or almost avery time, when ever I hook up I go up and down all the way this keeps the rust from forming. then my 3 year old girl loves playing with it.

I take mine a part and never seize the nut and shaft, and everytime or almost avery time, when ever I hook up I go up and down all the way this keeps the rust from forming. then my 3 year old girl loves playing with it.

What brand are you using Smiley?
Just so I can avoid it if I ever need to replace mine. :)
Try giving it a few shots of WD40 regularly.
When hooked up to your vehicle, flip it upwards so the WD can run down inside the tube.
Also give the odd shot into the - don't know what to call it, but the piece that sets onto the hitch ball.
Seems to work on mine (11 year old trailer).

What brand are you using Smiley?
Just so I can avoid it if I ever need to replace mine. :)
Try giving it a few shots of WD40 regularly.
When hooked up to your vehicle, flip it upwards so the WD can run down inside the tube.
Also give the odd shot into the - don't know what to call it, but the piece that sets onto the hitch ball.
Seems to work on mine (11 year old trailer).

Mine seized too this spring. When buying a new one, around $30 if I recall correctly, I asked local boat guy about what I should best do to avoid this problem. He answered "spend another $30 every 2 years".

[B)]

[not an ideal answer, disposable boat parts, break it and replace it...but perhaps realistic]

Mine seized too this spring. When buying a new one, around $30 if I recall correctly, I asked local boat guy about what I should best do to avoid this problem. He answered "spend another $30 every 2 years".

[B)]

[not an ideal answer, disposable boat parts, break it and replace it...but perhaps realistic]

Since your seems to wear out early I assume it is due to the fact that it goes in the salt chuck when launching. I can only suggest oiling or greasing as already mentioned and to block the tongue when in storage. I stopped in at Sherwood Marine last month to check for something but then I noticed some tongue jacks and one very nice one on sale for $85 so I started to ask questions about the one on sale and they showed me one much smaller so I asked about the other one on sale and was told that it was priced incorrectly and was really $160. for that one. Another worker came over and said if its priced at $85. then they have to sell it for that.... I didn't want to spend that much on a jack but the deal was so good I couldn't turn it down.... good thing for visa.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Since your seems to wear out early I assume it is due to the fact that it goes in the salt chuck when launching. I can only suggest oiling or greasing as already mentioned and to block the tongue when in storage. I stopped in at Sherwood Marine last month to check for something but then I noticed some tongue jacks and one very nice one on sale for $85 so I started to ask questions about the one on sale and they showed me one much smaller so I asked about the other one on sale and was told that it was priced incorrectly and was really $160. for that one. Another worker came over and said if its priced at $85. then they have to sell it for that.... I didn't want to spend that much on a jack but the deal was so good I couldn't turn it down.... good thing for visa.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

WestMarine have them on sale periodically for $39.95
they are the cheapest place to buy a tongejack that i've found.

WestMarine have them on sale periodically for $39.95
they are the cheapest place to buy a tongejack that i've found.

Great feedback!

A buddy uses the hole-drilled idea.
I tried that and one jack actually lasted 3 years.

I'm using the MARINE Fulton from Lordco at $67ish.
Have been thinking about buying trash and replacing annually.

My trailer is stored indoors, no weight on the tongue since the trailer gets propped up on axle stands to promote bilge draining.

Note to self to try regularly lowering tube fully and lubing.
Note to self to rinse more thoroughly and EVERY time after salt.

Rebuildlng annually would work, but it just shouldn't be necessary!

Noticed yesterday that my TONGUE jack was mounted on the trailer FRAME, perhaps I did that years ago to assist tilting the boat up in the garage?
Anyhow, have put it back on the tongue - so that may reduce the amount of immersion.

Thanks for the help guys.

Smiley.

Rebuilding annually would work, but it just shouldn't be necessary!

just think of it as maintenance not rebuilding. like doing wheel bearing

never had a problem with mine- going on 6 years now.
I give it a shot of fluid film every 3 months of use and it shows no signs of failure. Factory supplied off a shorelander trailer,which I love.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Had a closer look at the jack last Thursday when laucnhing and trailering.
Now that it is back on the tongue, it doesn't even get wet!
So, I am probably cured now.

My philosophy is do it right, once.
That is why repeatedly doing some things drives me nuts.
There are some jobs that simply defy this, like trailer bearings...

Smiley.

Back